"Wild Wild Country" - Osho documentary on Netflix

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
climb-up

"Wild Wild Country" - Osho documentary on Netflix

Post by climb-up »

I only just started this, but pretty fascinating.
It seems (so far) to not be a 'gotcha' piece, but to give free voice to both sannyasis/ex-sannyasis as well as the townspeople who were there before Osho, and (in a later episode) the people who actively worked to take the group down.

As a teenager I was quite enamored with Osho's commentary on the vijnanabhairavatantra, and with a "energized meditation," a practice based on Osho's 'active meditation.
I also grew up in a SYDA yoga ashram and so far see some fascinating parallels (pro and con) between the groups.

((Based on the trailers it's gonna get pretty dark, ...haven't gotten there yet)
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
krodha

Re: "Wild Wild Country" - Osho documentary on Netflix

Post by krodha »

Just wait, it gets more insane by the episode. Unethical behavior disguised as spirituality all around.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

krodha wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 am Just wait, it gets more insane by the episode. Unethical behavior disguised as spirituality all around.
In both groups.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Lhasa wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:35 am
krodha wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 am Just wait, it gets more insane by the episode. Unethical behavior disguised as spirituality all around.
In both groups.
Ooh! Doubly intrigued!
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Documentary was a huge let down as far as giving an indepth look into what day to day life was like at the commune, as well as going into Rajneesh’s story. Nothing new but for someone who knows nothing about this I could see why it’s amazing.

Great article about the more sinister aspects of the cult that were not addressed in the series.
https://newrepublic.com/article/147657/ ... n=sharebtn
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Really don’t want to know. I borrowed one of Rajneesh’ books from my Uni library in the late seventies before he was famous, and made him as a phoney. He had been a lecturer in Religious Studies at Indian universities and was obviously charismatic and highly educated, but I felt he was a phoney from the get-go. And what happened in the following decades only confrmed that, in spades. The depressing thing is how many people fell for his schtick when so much of it was transparently nonsensical.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Wayfarer wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:10 am Really don’t want to know. I borrowed one of Rajneesh’ books from my Uni library in the late seventies before he was famous, and made him as a phoney. He had been a lecturer in Religious Studies at Indian universities and was obviously charismatic and highly educated, but I felt he was a phoney from the get-go. And what happened in the following decades only confrmed that, in spades. The depressing thing is how many people fell for his schtick when so much of it was transparently nonsensical.
And they still do. In Czech Republic there are always hug quantities of his books in bookstores, while dalailama has only one or two and some other great buddhist books can no longer be found. But OSHO sticks ... I distrust people who write so much on so many topics.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Rajneesh sold (and his followers continue to sell) sex, drugs and rock'n'roll as a spiritual path. Of course people get into it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i watched the serie, sad thing... i learned to practice some sort of inconmessurable love from osho books, i'm really thankfull of him for that, enormously thankfull. he was my previous step to ChNN.

followers always screw things haha,
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Grigoris wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:41 pm Rajneesh sold (and his followers continue to sell) sex, drugs and rock'n'roll as a spiritual path. Of course people get into it.
Rock?What songs in particular?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 amRock?What songs in particular?
Anything by the Beatles.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

The Rajneesh people I knew did not indulge in any drugs and intoxication. A healthy life was their religion.

But they advertised for alcohol with the slogan: "Champagne is vegetarian!"
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Well, he can't have fed them very well.
When I was in Pune the restaurants and cafes were packed with escapees from the Osho ashram, all wealthy Westerners.
Maybe it was good sex, good trance dance, shit food.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 am
amanitamusc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 amRock?What songs in particular?
Anything by the Beatles.

Wrong guy the Beatles liked Maharishi mahesh and osho is Rajneesh..
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

amanitamusc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 amWrong guy the Beatles liked Maharishi mahesh and osho is Rajneesh..
Six of one, half a dozen of the other...

Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

This was Rajneesh n Roll.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8oauIAKq18
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

It's been a while since I looked at it but if I recall correctly, some of that Rajneesh stuff is very well spoken.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

It's all one big word salad. Empty platitudes. Edgy hypocritical statements.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm It's been a while since I looked at it but if I recall correctly, some of that Rajneesh stuff is very well spoken.
Your memory is failing you.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm It's been a while since I looked at it but if I recall correctly, some of that Rajneesh stuff is very well spoken.
Your memory is failing you.

Too much of that icky sticky I guess. :(
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Media”