Sounds of the Sun

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Drenpa

Sounds of the Sun

Post by Drenpa »

With some amazing technology funded by kind US taxpayers through Nasa & some headphones, we can experience the deep resonance of the natural Sounds of the Sun. Amazing.
Drenpa

Re: Sounds of the Sun

Post by Drenpa »

Sounds like a quartet of light-sabers.
bokki

Post by bokki »

that is amazing, drenpa..let me come back to this, once i have heard and meditated on it a few times
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Wow fantastic, I spend hours trying to create sounds like this lol, I will be listening to this for a while.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Here's the "real" thing - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... of-the-sun

"Real" gets :quoteunquote: :quoteunquote: because it's still not real-time and still not originally audible sounds. Fascinating project, though.

:namaste:
Kim
Drenpa

Post by Drenpa »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:18 am Here's the "real" thing - https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... of-the-sun

"Real" gets :quoteunquote: :quoteunquote: because it's still not real-time and still not originally audible sounds. Fascinating project, though.

:namaste:
Kim
Hi Kim,

If that's the case, then then not much can be called real. We clever primates gather much of our modern info from amplifying the range of our senses. No sound, especially from the sun, light years away, is "real" time, and by the criterion of "not originally audible/visible" you have to throw out anything seen under a microscope, from satellite & other cameras, cell phones, etc. as "not real" or "real-time" either. :smile:
bokki

Post by bokki »

:rolling:
drenpa
If that's the case, then then not much can be called real. We clever primates gather much of our modern info from amplifying the range of our senses. No sound, especially from the sun, light years away, is "real" time, and by the criterion of "not originally audible/visible" you have to throw out anything seen under a microscope, from satellite & other cameras, cell phones, etc. as "not real" or "real-time" either. :smile:
and that is even before we take into consideration how much time does it take for the neurons of the brain to react to a signal, how the brain produces light inside a closed and dark skull, and sound too. those things really fascinate me...are we really a few seconds late to reality, or what..id really like to know, but...lol...ok....
say, how much time does it take from the sun to earth, for light?..8..9..minutes...also it means that the stars we see...''see'',..are in a big past..
the present, even of ourselfs, is just not available.
hmm, makes my slow brain cells spin an wonder..
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Somehow, I don't think the sun would sound anything like that. It would probably sound more like roaring flames and explosions.

Good to see NASA wasting tax money on complete and utter bullshit, while conservatives complain about where the funding would come from for universal health care.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm Somehow, I don't think the sun would sound anything like that. It would probably sound more like roaring flames and explosions.

Good to see NASA wasting tax money on complete and utter bullshit, while conservatives complain about where the funding would come from for universal health care.
This is probably how close they have gotten to:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm Somehow, I don't think the sun would sound anything like that. It would probably sound more like roaring flames and explosions.

Oh, Christ.

Close the museums. Concert halls. Put a moratorium on all amusements. Restaurants, other than those serving soylent and other basic foods, must be shuttered. Everyone should be evicted and reassigned to economical concrete dwellings. All mentation other than figuring out universal healthcare shall end now. Paint the world gray until all live the same insipid lifestyle.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:58 pmOh, Christ.

Close the museums. Concert halls. Put a moratorium on all amusements. Restaurants, other than those serving soylent and other basic foods, must be shuttered. Everyone should be evicted and reassigned to economical concrete dwellings. All mentation other than figuring out universal healthcare shall end now. Paint the world gray until all live the same insipid lifestyle.
Dude. This is complete and utter bullshit. There is no way the sun sounds like that. Not even remotely.

Now if they want to sell it as art/music, that's fine. JD spends half his life trying to make noises like that :)

But let's get serious: it is not even remotely science and should not be funded as such.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Pero

Post by Pero »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Dude. This is complete and utter bullshit. There is no way the sun sounds like that. Not even remotely.

Now if they want to sell it as art/music, that's fine. JD spends half his life trying to make noises like that :)

But let's get serious: it is not even remotely science and should not be funded as such.
Why? If you understood what each "sound" meant you'd be able to understand what was going on with the Sun (and other things) through sound.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

It's not even remotely science? Come again? Are you an astronomer? Do you have a physics degree? Do you have any idea what solar astronomy is and why it's important?
"The sound of the sun is based on the recordings of the solar and heliospheric observatory (SOHO) where astronomers at stanford university recorded acoustical pressure waves in the sun by tracking movements on its’ surface. by using a machine known as the michelson doppler imager (MDI), the astronomers are able to measure the changing light waves given off the sun, data translated into motion (sound) waves by computer models that capture the relationships between light waves and sound waves."
"Data from SOHO, sonified by the Stanford Experimental Physics Lab, captures the Sun’s natural vibrations and provides scientists with a concrete representation of its dynamic movements."
"These vibrations allow scientists to study a range of complex motions inside the Sun, from solar flares to coronal mass ejections."
"We can see huge rivers of solar material flowing around. We are finally starting to understand the layers of the Sun and the complexity,” Young said. “That simple sound is giving us a probe inside of a star. I think that’s a pretty cool thing."
"While scientists probably enjoy a groovy track just as much as the rest of us, the soundtrack actually has practical applications. By analyzing the sounds, researchers can get a very accurate picture of the churnings inside of our Sun — much more accurate than previous observations could provide.

“We don’t have straightforward ways to look inside the Sun,” Young explains. “We don’t have a microscope to zoom inside the Sun. So using a star or the Sun’s vibrations allows us to see inside of it.”

A more comprehensive understanding of the motions inside the Sun could allow researchers to better predict space weather events."
And in case you've never heard about "space weather" before:
Space weather happens when a solar storm from the Sun travels through space and impacts the Earth’s magnetosphere. Studying space weather is important to our national economy because solar storms can affect the advanced technology we have become so dependent upon in our everyday lives. Energy and radiation from solar flares and coronal mass ejections can:

- Harm astronauts in space
- Damage sensitive electronics on orbiting spacecraft…
- Cause colorful auroras, often seen in the higher latitudes…
- Create blackouts on Earth when they cause surges in power grids.

Understanding the changing Sun and its effects on the solar system, life, and society is a main goal of NASA's Heliophysics research program. Many NASA missions focus on the Sun and its interactions with Earth. Current missions include STEREO, SDO, SOHO, ACE, SORCE, and the Van Allen Probes.
https://theconversation.com/its-never-b ... ther-65648
The first documented link between a CME (coronal mass ejection) and technology comes from 1841, when a telegraph system was affected by strong magnetic field fluctuations during a magnetic storm. “On the 18th of October, 1841, a very intense magnetic disturbance was recorded,” the journal Nature reported. The disturbance caused a train to be delayed by 16 minutes as “it was impossible to ascertain if the line was clear at Starcross”.
And more about SOHO here: https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/about/about.html

Understanding the dynamics of the sun is highly important, and to do that, you have to employ a wide variety of methods, and that includes the above. If you claim that this is not science, then there's really not much to say, because it's beyond silly.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I can't even believe we are discussing this...

The sun is a giant ball of flaming and exploding hydrogen.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what that would sound like.

It certainly would not sound like Brian Eno on DMT... :tongue:

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

More info on SOHO can be read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_and ... bservatory

Totally not science by the way.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm I can't even believe we are discussing this...

Evidently it does take a genius. Or at least someone that understands that sound depends on a medium to be transmitted.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

:rolling: :applause: :thanks:

Let's get an actual probe with a mic to transmit the sounds back, just make a kickstarter and hand out fliers at Burning Man. I'm sure it's some where in Elon's notes.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

NASA does things like this to engage the public and make what they do relatable to lay people. That's all.

What's remarkable is people getting worked up that some geeks decided to have a little fun with their research.

It's always remarkable to me when ideological lefties end up sounding like right-wing ignoramuses.

Both can't stand anyone having a little fun.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Karma Dorje wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm I can't even believe we are discussing this...

Evidently it does take a genius. Or at least someone that understands that sound depends on a medium to be transmitted.
At last, somebody that is starting to make some sense.

bokki

Post by bokki »

well, I think it is fun, passion, learning...life..
tho, now that we are talking bout sound..
id like to ask??
vibrations of air, hit the ear drum..
and?
chemo-electric impulses are relayed to the brain..
so, by this, ''sound'' is within ones brain.
same with photons, hitting the retina..
how come sooooo much light in the brain, since photons end only in the eye, not the brain..
????
btw, sounds of the sun may be a good name for a music group.
and, btw, fun is great, I don't understand serious ''minds'', I think they r lowdown.

thnx, a fun thread.
Last edited by Grigoris on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off topic remark

Return to “Media”