The magnificent Japanese Buddhist Temple Byodo-Oahu Hawaii

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Not my video, but I am very grateful for it. Byodo-In Temple has been very important for me.

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: The magnificent Japanese Buddhist Temple Byodo-Oahu Hawaii

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Thanks for sharing this, kirtu!
I'm going to Hawaii with family in a few weeks and will be stopping in this temple.
Nice to get a preview :smile:

Why has the temple been important for you, if you don't mind sharing?
Namu Amida Butsu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:37 am Why has the temple been important for you, if you don't mind sharing?
Basically it awakened active faith in the Buddhadharma. My mother and father both exposed me to Buddhdharma unknowingly. My father took us to this temple at least twice and even though it is a "non-practicing" temple the visits were still very significant for me. Actually Shin Pure Land Buddhists used to practice there once a month or so but that has apparently ended. On one of our visits a Buddhist priest was actually present and that was significant for me. This year happens to be the 50th anniversary of Byodo-In's construction.

Some dismiss it now as a tourist attraction and it is true that even when we visited it was used more as a kind of theatrical background for "Hawaii 5-O" as well as a kind of secular oriented community center and it is in the middle of a cemetery and functions for the funerary business. Still for me it is a significant place.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:37 am I'm going to Hawaii with family in a few weeks and will be stopping in this temple.
You may also consider a trip up to broken ridge temple. The four heavenly kings at the entrance are very majestic.
06.jpg
06.jpg (153.2 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:thanks:
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Media”