Conservative Christian group launches campaign against “Buddhist meditation” in public schools

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Miroku
Global Moderator

Conservative Christian group launches campaign against “Buddhist meditation” in public schools

Post by Miroku » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm

This cracks me up tbh. :rolling:
Abbey Southerland, the ACLJ’s senior counsel, said the programs tell students to “’look inside yourself,’ ‘find the goodness within yourself’ — things that are clearly antithetical to the Christian religion.”
https://www.lionsroar.com/conservative- ... ign=buffer
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

SonamTashi

Re: Conservative Christian group launches campaign against “Buddhist meditation” in public schools

Post by SonamTashi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 pm

:rolling:

This reads like an Onion article. I was going to maybe quote a few parts, but really the entire thing is just ridiculous. They are fighting against "Buddhist meditation" (secular mindfulness) in schools, claiming it is unconstitutional, while at the same time openly promoting Christian prayer in public schools.
How would you react if this same audio recording is telling your child to look inside themselves to reach inner-goodness and peace?
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Miroku
Global Moderator

Re: Conservative Christian group launches campaign against “Buddhist meditation” in public schools

Post by Miroku » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 pm
:rolling:

This reads like an Onion article. I was going to maybe quote a few parts, but really the entire thing is just ridiculous. They are fighting against "Buddhist meditation" (secular mindfulness) in schools, claiming it is unconstitutional, while at the same time openly promoting Christian prayer in public schools.
How would you react if this same audio recording is telling your child to look inside themselves to reach inner-goodness and peace?
Exactly! It is almost hard to believe that this is not a joke. :D
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

~ Jigten Sumgon

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm

It's not as bad as in Louisiana when a Thai Buddhist student was discriminated for being Buddhist...

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Miroku wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm
Abbey Southerland, the ACLJ’s senior counsel, said the programs tell students to “’look inside yourself,’ ‘find the goodness within yourself’ — things that are clearly antithetical to the Christian religion.”
Hey guys, get ready for this to heat up. The Christian element of my family have decided to crusade against me for the army of Jesus. They are very active Evangelicals. Ok?

They wouldn’t tell me my dad was in hospital before he died so they could give him Christian last rights. My dad is Punjabi Hindu Kshatriya. This is anethema. I’m bringing all I have to bear on this. It’s not a joke.

They are issuing curses.

““. I feel pity, because your eternal future is horrifying. The same voices you are listening to, are the same voices that will torment you for eternity, They will mock you, laugh at you, and blame for the evil they deceived you to perform. They will rejoice in your tormenting you for all eternity.
You need to cry out to Jesus, who will forgive you and give you life. Mom chose Jesus and on Sunday, Oct. 14th Papa chose Jesus as his Savior. You should have seen the joy on his face. I've been praying 45 years for Papa, since I got saved at 16. I received the joy of leading him to the Lord. He prayed with me! A Chaplain came into Firwood and asked Papa if he would like prayer. Papa said yes! He told us he was so surprised to find an elderly Indian man, who loved Jesus.”
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Tough gig...

But can I ask why you are Buddhist and not a Christian, man?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm

I don't even

CW, I'm sorry to hear about your father and also about your family situation.

Years ago I heard someone warning that Evangelical Christians would start targeting Buddhism and Buddhists. Here comes the persecution.

This article makes these people sound ridiculous but that is actually even scarier - if this is all true, these people are unhinged from reason, and people unhinged from reason can be very dangerous.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:35 pm
I don't even

Years ago I heard someone warning that Evangelical Christians would start targeting Buddhism and Buddhists. Here comes the persecution.

This article makes these people sound ridiculous but that is actually even scarier - if this is all true, these people are unhinged from reason, and people unhinged from reason can be very dangerous.
'unhinged from reason' is the norm, is it not?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Queequeg wrote:
I don't even

I'd like to think not. I guess I'm an optimist. But you might be right.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 pm

It's really nothing new. Christian groups have been targeting secular yoga and meditation (or really anything that smells of non-christian origin) for a long time now.

Just Abrahams being Abrahams...
Then, the Licchavi Vimalakīrti spoke to the elder Śāriputra and the great disciples: “Reverends, eat of the food of the Tathāgata! It is ambrosia perfumed by the great compassion. But do not fix your minds in narrow-minded attitudes, lest you be unable to receive its gift.”

- Chapter 9, The Feast Brought by the Emanated Incarnation
The Noble Mahāyāna Sūtra “The Teaching of Vimalakīrti”

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:12 pm
Dan74 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Queequeg wrote:
I don't even

I'd like to think not. I guess I'm an optimist. But you might be right.
Being right is one of the things I fear the most. My worst nightmares coming true... what could possible be worse? And yet.. and yet..

There is certainly a great deal of unreason out there and it's vocal for sure. Maybe it's a good thing - bringing it out. So that the body politic can face it squarely and cure itself.

SonamTashi

Post by SonamTashi » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I posted it to /r/nottheonion, but shortly after shooting to the top of the sub it was removed because it wasn't :quoteunquote: "oniony." I have no idea why, because they didn't message me before or after moderating it, but it sounded satirical to me. :shrug: Either way it is probably for the best because I was getting way too many notifications for a minute there.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Crazywisdom wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:18 pm
Hey guys, get ready for this to heat up. The Christian element of my family have decided to crusade against me for the army of Jesus. They are very active Evangelicals. Ok?

They wouldn’t tell me my dad was in hospital before he died so they could give him Christian last rights. My dad is Punjabi Hindu Kshatriya. This is anethema. I’m bringing all I have to bear on this. It’s not a joke.

They are issuing curses.

““. I feel pity, because your eternal future is horrifying. The same voices you are listening to, are the same voices that will torment you for eternity, They will mock you, laugh at you, and blame for the evil they deceived you to perform. They will rejoice in your tormenting you for all eternity.
You need to cry out to Jesus, who will forgive you and give you life. Mom chose Jesus and on Sunday, Oct. 14th Papa chose Jesus as his Savior. You should have seen the joy on his face. I've been praying 45 years for Papa, since I got saved at 16. I received the joy of leading him to the Lord. He prayed with me! A Chaplain came into Firwood and asked Papa if he would like prayer. Papa said yes! He told us he was so surprised to find an elderly Indian man, who loved Jesus.”
Sorry to hear that, buddy. That is quite horrible and disgusting. At least I hope there is a pure land with Jesus where buddhadharma is present.

I used to live with a Christian land lady. She was a babtist. Thankfully she was rather moderate since this is central Europe, however those talks how Jesus is amazing were pretty lame. I really enjoyed when she asked me what those monks and masters are good for and I started listing the long list of activities of diferrent lamast. :lol: However, yeah Christians tend to get on my nerves quite a bit. Here in Czech Republic they have appeared together with xenophobic and right wing groups and are taking credit for our culture although they have been removed from it quite sucessfully by the communists. The self-righteous and moralizing attitude they tend to sport are the worst. But ofc not all of them are like that.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

~ Jigten Sumgon

passel

Post by passel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Not much of a campaign at this point- the headline is a bit misleading. If you go to the ACLJ website, it's just an online petition and some boilerplate legal argument. They showed up at one meeting in CO. There's something maybe brewing in GA w yoga, and the yoga folks won one in CA last year. What's going to happen is that we're going to get a smattering of cases with different results in different jurisdictions over the next decade or two, then one (or two or more combined) will make it to the Supreme Ct, and we'll probably get a ruling that just clarifies exactly what secular means here. I mean, the real headline is just, "Conservatives still conservative."
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 am

Miroku wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm
Heh, it's almost like she doesn't see the irony.
passel wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:37 pm
Not much of a campaign at this point- the headline is a bit misleading. If you go to the ACLJ website, it's just an online petition and some boilerplate legal argument. They showed up at one meeting in CO. There's something maybe brewing in GA w yoga, and the yoga folks won one in CA last year. What's going to happen is that we're going to get a smattering of cases with different results in different jurisdictions over the next decade or two, then one (or two or more combined) will make it to the Supreme Ct, and we'll probably get a ruling that just clarifies exactly what secular means here. I mean, the real headline is just, "Conservatives still conservative."

Yep. The worst part is, as much as these people are full of it, there do need to be limits on mandatory contemplative practices in schools, from any tradition. Hopefully sane limitations will prevail. Of course, these foo's will continue to disregard that and try to ram their own religion down everyone's throat non stop, as has been their M.O. the entire time I've been alive.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttaniddeso

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 am

Fundamentalism is a personality trait.

- low tolerance for ambiguity/uncertainty
- values authority figures and strong guidelines
- strong distinction between own-group/s and 'others'.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 am
Fundamentalism is a personality trait.

- low tolerance for ambiguity/uncertainty
- values authority figures and strong guidelines
- strong distinction between own-group/s and 'others'.
This is very true. Like authoritarianism, it develops before personality, and isn't really wedded to any particular religion or political leaning (although some may be natural to gravitate towards in particular environments).

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Another point is that fundamentalism is very much part of the reaction against the pace of change in the modern world. It's like a backlash against modernity (Karen Armstrong wrote a book about it). The word 'fundamentalism' itself was coined in the late nineteenth c in the US, to describe a kind of 'return to the basics' approach to the Bible and Protestant evangelicalism. These kinds of 'anti-Eastern' protests will also protest teaching yoga in schools.

Buddhism has its fundamentalists also but overall I think that some religious cultures are more inclined to it than others. And also Westerners who practice Buddhism are the least likely to be fundamentalist overall.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 am

It always impresses me how US christians manage to read the first amendment so as to apply the free exercise clause to their religion only, and the establishment clause to every other religion: and to experience absolutely no cognitive dissonance in so doing.

Return to “Media”