English is actually Chinese, scholars claim

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Miroku
Former staff member

English is actually Chinese, scholars claim

Post by Miroku » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 am

You cannot make this up! :rolling:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3 ... u1Sao3YLWQ
He said Europeans “felt ashamed” due to the “fact” there was no history in Europe before the 15th century, compared to China. In an attempt to paper over this historical humiliation, the Europeans “fabricated” stories about ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilizations – all based on Chinese history.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

jake
Global Moderator

Re: English is actually Chinese, scholars claim

Post by jake » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Miroku wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:36 am

He said Europeans “felt ashamed” due to the “fact” there was no history in Europe before the 15th century, compared to China. In an attempt to paper over this historical humiliation, the Europeans “fabricated” stories about ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilizations – all based on Chinese history.
Ugh, why did I take four years of Latin? If I had only known! :)

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:42 pm

The actual origin of the word yellow, like many English words, is from an Indo-European root similar to Sanskrit and sounded something like ‘geolho’ .So it probably did originate outside Europe..but not in China.
That claim reminds me of the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who claimed a Greek origin for just about any word you could mention. (He also claimed that Windex cures joint pain.) :smile:
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Here in Czechia we have something sort of similar although not as famous. There was a guy who wrote a book explaining that actually all languages came from a pan-slavic language and it was the slavs who really created the culture from ancient Mezopotamia to god know when. Quite fun little thing, however as realistic as ... well the Chinese counterpart.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Of course we native English speakers have confusion too. The belief that the Bible was written in English because that was the language that Jesus spoke is appallingly common.. :o
“Why don’t you close down your PC for a while and find out who needs your help?”

HH Tai Situ.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Also the Chinese are descended from a different (better!) hominid that the rest of homo sapiens. Cultures will do what they can to say they are special. The Chinese are no different than the Americans, than the Canadians, Israelis, etc.
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

cyril

Post by cyril » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:22 pm

jake wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Ugh, why did I take four years of Latin? If I had only known! :)
Having some knowledge of Latin will surely help you find further evidence supporting this fascinating theory. My Latin is rubbish but even I know that the Flavian dynasty got its name from “flavo” which means “yellow” - an obvious reference to the Chinese origins of this family. The Flavians clearly introduced chow mein and wonton to the Roman cuisine (which subsequently degenerated into spaghetti and ravioli respectively) and possibly other Chinese dishes as suggested by this Pompeii fresco depicting an apprentice cook struggling to prepare the traditional snake soup under the watchful eyes of the kitchen master.

"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Caoimhghín wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 pm
Cultures will do what they can to say they are special. The Chinese are no different than the Americans, than the Canadians, Israelis, etc.
An aside I just remembered: there is a whole movement that believes the Iliad and Odyssey are British epic poems that take place in Britain.

The French used to believe their language came from Greek, not Latin, so they could be special.

Also the Mormons think the lost tribes of Israel were in America (Jesus was there too!) before the modern day Native Americans did a genocide.

There are some Sri Lankans who think the Buddha was born, preached, and died, in Sri Lanka.

Every culture seems to be the same.

for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Wow, I am not sure if this news article or the "World Civilization Research Association" is actually trolling or not.
I am quite baffled by their linguistic claims, seems to me just cherry-picking co-incidences.

There are too many verbal and structural differences between English & Chinese languages, to even call them similar.
I know because me and my family have actual experiences with both languages.
For example, the Chinese pinyin system is drastically different than the English alphabet system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Caoimhghín wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 pm
Caoimhghín wrote:
Cultures will do what they can to say they are special. The Chinese are no different than the Americans, than the Canadians, Israelis, etc.
An aside I just remembered: there is a whole movement that believes the Iliad and Odyssey are British epic poems that take place in Britain.

The French used to believe their language came from Greek, not Latin, so they could be special.
Just checking, does Russian and the Slavic languages alongside the Cyrillic alphabet come from Greek, Latin, or the Slavs? J'oublie.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 pm

well wisher wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:32 pm
Wow, I am not sure if this news article or the "World Civilization Research Association" is actually trolling or not.
I am quite baffled by their linguistic claims, seems to me just cherry-picking co-incidences.

There are too many verbal and structural differences between English & Chinese languages, to even call them similar.
I know because me and my family have actual experiences with both languages.
For example, the Chinese pinyin system is drastically different than the English alphabet system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin
I'd like to see those Chinese comment on the origins of Georgian, Armenian, Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic, that would be interesting to watch.
Miroku wrote:

Hmmm...Where do they think peanuts come from? Corn? Manioc?
Plus, Egyptian isn't even remotely European. Will they be denying the Mesopotamians next? The Kieven Rus? The Vikings? Celts? Islam? Renaissance? Byzantine?

I'd like to see them denying that Black Death existed and that Europe was a complete Dark Ages for centuries, then claim that China first discovered America, that Lao Tzu was actually the Hebrew Abraham, that the pyramids are stupas, that Constantinople is a Buddhist temple (as you can see, the domes are a clear indicator of pagodas and stupas), and that the big Olmec heads are actually the faces of Chinese court officials (the tops are clearly bureaucratic hats).

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:57 am

Miroku wrote:

As you can see, this is clearly accurate. According to the Onion, a totally 100% credible news source, what China said on Greece is very true:

https://www.theonion.com/historians-adm ... 1819571808

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:51 am

There are some Sri Lankans who think the Buddha was born, preached, and died, in Sri Lanka.
I have personally been told by some Sri Lankan monks that Buddha visited there.
But born and died there too?
I really doubt that anyone believes that. It was mainly Sri Lanakans (and Burmese) monks who made Bodhgaya what it is today.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:51 am
I have personally been told by some Sri Lankan monks that Buddha visited there.
But born and died there too?
I really doubt that anyone believes that. It was mainly Sri Lanakans (and Burmese) monks who made Bodhgaya what it is today.
This eccentric teaching is believed by the Waharakist cult in Sri Lanka, that's the only place I've ever encountered it. Every now and then they try to invade SuttaCentral. They think he lived his whole life in Sri Lanka, a more extreme version of what is already an extreme position. They have fake maps and everything drawn up showing the Buddha's life journey around the island.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/wh ... udipa/5303

This is just one of their forways into the forum I can remember. They are a colourful lot.

DhammaWheel set up a platform for them to preach on their website a while ago, one of the reasons I left:

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26749

The website "PureDhamma" is one of their English language feelers they put out.

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:44 pm
Caoimhghín wrote:
Caoimhghín wrote:

Just checking, does Russian and the Slavic languages alongside the Cyrillic alphabet come from Greek, Latin, or the Slavs? J'oublie.
No, they are Slavic languages; they come from proto-Slavic. The Cyrillic alphabet is inspired by the Greek, though.

These languages are all Indo-European though and as such, are marked by euroversals and whatnot.

:namaste:

humble.student

Post by humble.student » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Caoimhghín wrote:
Caoimhghín wrote:

Also the Mormons think the lost tribes of Israel were in America (Jesus was there too!) before the modern day Native Americans did a genocide.

Every culture seems to be the same.
Homeric revisionism is hardly limited to national concerns, an Italian author wrote a book on Homer in the Baltic, trying to prove the described geography fits the Baltic Sea better.

humble.student

Post by humble.student » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am

Miroku wrote:

You might be surprised at what Chinese scholars are liable to throw out there: I have heard British imperialism explained as a response to the threefold menace of English food, English weather, and ... wait for it ... English women.

Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 am

humble.student wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am
Miroku wrote:

You might be surprised at what Chinese scholars are liable to throw out there: I have heard British imperialism explained as a response to the threefold menace of English food, English weather, and ... wait for it ... English women.
Hey! That actually makes sense. :rolling:

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

humble.student wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 am
Miroku wrote:

I mean who am I to argue. :D

Return to “Media”