Help finding version of Medicine Buddha mantra

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Ginkgo22

Help finding version of Medicine Buddha mantra

Post by Ginkgo22 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:14 am

Greetings all,
I am new to this forum and I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post - please excuse if in error.
Many years ago, around 2008, I was practicing medicine Buddha mantra and found one recitation (short version) on the internet which still stays with me but I can no longer find. It’s the most beautiful I’ve ever heard.
It’s is a single monk chanting, and he begins very slowly and then gradually increases in pace. The entire chant only lasts less than two minutes maximum. There is no music in background.
I know this is a long shot, but can anyone please help me find this version? All of my searches have been in vain. Many thanks in advance?

tkp67

Re: Help finding version of Medicine Buddha mantra

Post by tkp67 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Do you recall the buddhist tradition it was from?

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Might be helpful if you remember which language the monk was chanting it in...Sanskrit, Tibetan, Chinese, or Japanese? Also was it long or short? If long it could have been a dharani and not a mantra
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:00 pm

This dharani/mantra is from the sutra, in romanized Sanskrit. No audio, but sing it and see if it sounds similar.
‘Namo Bhagavat Bhaisajyaguru-vaiduryaprabha-rajaya tathagataya arhate samyaksambuddhaya tadyatha Om bhaisajye bhaisajye-bhaisajya samudgate svaha.
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Bodhicitta.

Ginkgo22

Post by Ginkgo22 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for trying to help my obscure search!
First - I do believe it was Tibetan. The mantra was the short form but the unique thing about this particular recitation was the pacing - at first very slow and beautiful and gradually becoming faster and faster. The total of the audio must have been less than 2 minutes. There was never video. Regarding which tradition, I’m really not sure. Please excuse my lack of education I’m not really a scholar just I found this version that touched my heart deeply and would love to find again.
Hope this helps.

humble.student

Post by humble.student » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Ginkgo22 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Thanks to everyone for trying to help my obscure search!
First - I do believe it was Tibetan. The mantra was the short form but the unique thing about this particular recitation was the pacing - at first very slow and beautiful and gradually becoming faster and faster. The total of the audio must have been less than 2 minutes. There was never video. Regarding which tradition, I’m really not sure. Please excuse my lack of education I’m not really a scholar just I found this version that touched my heart deeply and would love to find again.
Hope this helps.
Give these a spin, one never knows: http://www.buda.idv.tw/db.asp?node=248

haha

Post by haha » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Ginkgo22 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm
Just guessing based on your description.

Ginkgo22

Post by Ginkgo22 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:53 pm

I’m in disbelief! Haha - you found it! I can’t tell you what hearing that does for my spirit. Many thanks to you and humble.student and everyone else for even making the effort to care. I’m so grateful. 🙏 Have no more words 🙏

Return to “Media”