Vague but relevant article on the conseuqences of marijauna legalization

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Vague but relevant article on the conseuqences of marijauna legalization

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:07 pm

"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

shaunc

Re: Vague but relevant article on the conseuqences of marijauna legalization

Post by shaunc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I find it hard to believe that 40% of users are considered problematic, daily users but I'm not in a position to offer any other statistics.
Personally I see no reason not to tax it in a similar fashion to cigarettes and alcohol.
Again the physical symptoms of Evan's withdrawal I also find hard to believe but I suppose everyone is different.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 pm

shaunc wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 pm
I find it hard to believe that 40% of users are considered problematic, daily users but I'm not in a position to offer any other statistics.
Personally I see no reason not to tax it in a similar fashion to cigarettes and alcohol.
Again the physical symptoms of Evan's withdrawal I also find hard to believe but I suppose everyone is different.

The article is not arguing against legalization/decriminalization.

There are definite withdrawal symptoms from THC, mainly stemming from it providing a huge bump of dopamine and seratonin, and there being a definite reaction to the drop that happens when they stop use. It's nothing like heroin or alcohol withdrawal, but for serious users it can be significant. This is even true for people who are simply habituated - daily users who use a lot but might not have serious problems due to their use. This is compounded by the insane levels of THC now available through things like dabs, various edibles, etc.

Part of the issue with determining "problematic" use is that really our only diagnostic tools come from people's subjective reports of areas of life disrupted by use. Lots of people could qualify for a substance use disorder at some point in their lives, so it less crazy than you might think. The 40% thing was actually people reporting daily or near daily use thoguh, and not necessarily abuse. Amount used is one determinant among many for a substance use disorder. So to be clear, the article was not saying that 40% of people have a problem, it was saying that 40% of users might be using daily or nearly daily - not the same claim.

From the standpoint of a diagnostician, this is -not- necessarily problematic unless it is in addition to other factors, similar to how someone could drink 2-3 beers a day and not have a problem.

Most of the article is pretty accurate to my experience. I work in the treatment field, went to school for it, and I find it incredibly infuriating all the "it's not addictive" stuff that comes from the Pot community - who are usually really ill informed on the science surrounding it. As the article mentions a lot of this is due to an over-reaction to the silly way we have treated marijuana in the past. I mean, it has valid medical uses, is probably one of the least harmful recreational drugs (IMO of course), but it does have a potential for abuse, and the potential is more serious due to the legalization and lack of regulation for things like THC concentration.

As one example, I've had a few patients (usually young men experimenting with copious amounts) have temporary episodes of violent, borderline psychotic behavior either using dabs, or withdrawing from daily use of them. It is really not the same drug at those concentrations as it was back in my days of smoking. Full disclosure, I use CBD for pain and think it's great, there are legitimate uses of it, and I also lots of people who smoke with no problem. I voted to decriminalize it here, even though I did not like some of the details. However the misinformation coming from some of the legal shops, combined with the "it's harmless" attitude is actually creating problems, I encounter them firsthand.

Here in WA they were supposed to be putting the taxes towards treatment, but I've not heard anything about it since.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm

The article has no statistical relevance and legalization is a bit new to have established statistical evidence.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm
The article has no statistical relevance and legalization is a bit new to have established statistical evidence.
Yes it's mainly anecdotal at this point, but when everyone who observing is seeing the same things anecdotally, it's worthy of consideration.

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 pm
tkp67 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm
Yes it's mainly anecdotal at this point, but when everyone who observing is seeing the same things anecdotally, it's worthy of consideration.
Absolutely. I am not trying to invalidate the observation.

Return to “Media”