Eminem darkness

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
DNS
Site Admin

Eminem darkness

Post by DNS »

Eminem's new video; Darkness.

In this video he reenacts the Las Vegas shooting in an anti-gun message. :o

Controversial for sure, but is it going too far or is this appropriate?

It could be for publicity, money making; it already has 10 million views in less than 24 hours.
Pero

Re: Eminem darkness

Post by Pero »

Why would it be going too far?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
justsit

Post by justsit »

Pro-gun will love it, lots of .... guns.

Anti-gun will love it, "See, the gang-banger is against guns!"

Appropriate? By whose standards? Are there even any "standards" any more when the President tweets with impunity, "The Democrats are coming for your guns" (see this AM's news...).

In any case, win-win for Eminem.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Pero wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm Why would it be going too far?
If you google it, you'll see it is controversial and has some opposition.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/eminems-j ... urdered-by
https://www.ccn.com/eminems-new-album-m ... than-ever/

I'm sure twitter and facebook have much more.

I haven't read much on it yet, but I suppose some might think it glamorizes and rewards the shooter and might inspire copy cats.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

justsit wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:31 pm In any case, win-win for Eminem.
Yes, I think so.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

As non-native speaker maybe I don't get the message correctly. But anyhow Eminem sells worldwide.

I find the video disgusting because it identifies with the murderer most. "Poor man. He was so lonely he had to drug himself and shoot people."
The victims are not shown at all and when he shoots himself we see only tiny drops of blood. That is an exaggerating euphemism. This is what makes this video really disgusting for me.

America cannot get what mass-shooting really means, if media reduce it to a sad little story with melancholic music in the background and a "happy end": "The poor old lonesome cowboy is dead. Give one tear for him and forget about the victims", is the message I understand.

That's really poor.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Good idea but maybe not the best delivery and style for it. But then Eminem is probably more influential than some politicians within certain demographics, many of those also pro-arms. It's more likely it will have a wider positive effect on voting behaviour rather than negative.

I thought Donald Glover's song from 2018 was more 'shocking' to be honest. Said to be critiquing the role of musicians in continuously entertaining people while shootings never cease. Normalizing gun crime.

ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vasana wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:28 pm
I thought Donald Glover's song from 2018 was more 'shocking' to be honest. Said to be critiquing the role of musicians in continuously entertaining people while shootings never cease. Normalizing gun crime.

Awesome music video.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm America cannot get what mass-shooting really means..
Oh, we get it all right, there simply is no political will to deal with the issue properly because of the Jesus and Guns crowd.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Eminem has gotten kind of corny IMO; and even more so when he gets political (I personally don’t like guns; and at the same time the typical anti-gun agenda is annoying too).

Of course he’s a good lyricist; and I like that he recently criticized mumble rap.

Now his old more underground style stuff, is a bit better:

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Don't care about music videos, but, out of curiosity . . . I noticed that for weeks after the shooting, the media had nothing to say about the shooter's motive. Does anyone know whether he left a suicide note, or had had a run-in with the government or a bank or something? Usually these guys leave a pretty clear motivation trail.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

He has made a career off of being provocative, so, I don't really know what's so surprising.

As it's all been done before, artists are trying new ways to still be edgy.

When I was younger it was a big deal just for a man to wear makeup, these kind of things are changing.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

100% pro gun here but I like the video. I think the message is more about mental illness than guns.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tingdzin wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:25 am Don't care about music videos, but, out of curiosity . . . I noticed that for weeks after the shooting, the media had nothing to say about the shooter's motive. Does anyone know whether he left a suicide note, or had had a run-in with the government or a bank or something? Usually these guys leave a pretty clear motivation trail.
No known motive for sure, but he was a regular gambler and he may have incurred some gambling debts; still no reason to do what he did of course, but might explain some of his mental issues (as part of the fallout from financial problems). He owned some properties, but they were with partners and had debt too. There was no suicide note.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:07 pm
Ayu wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm America cannot get what mass-shooting really means..
Oh, we get it all right, there simply is no political will to deal with the issue properly because of the Jesus and Guns crowd.
Sorry, I didn't address you intelligent people as 'America' here but the crowd who votes for guns. Violence is being exposed as a romantic thing. This is only possible as long as people do not get what it means in reality.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

ford_truckin wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 am I think the message is more about mental illness than guns.

Honestly I skipped around through the video; but based on the bits & pieces I watched/listened to, that makes sense.

Maybe I’ll watch the entire vid later....
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ford_truckin wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 am 100% pro gun here but I like the video. I think the message is more about mental illness than guns.
In the 100 Karma Sūtra, the Buddha teaches that whether one possess weapons for afflicted or nonafflicted motivations, it is nonvirtuous and the result is only suffering.

Just something any Buddhist should ponder carefully. Similarly, there are many other teachings of this nature in Mahāyāna sūtras.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:58 am
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:07 pm
Sorry, I didn't address you intelligent people as 'America' here but the crowd who votes for guns. Violence is being exposed as a romantic thing. This is only possible as long as people do not get what it means in reality.

As far as I am concerned, the Second Amendment is obsolete. It was added to the US Constitution (ratified in 1787) with the passing of the Bill of Rights (ratified in 1789), and is not an original part of the constitution. Hence, it is something that can be changed, like any other amendment to the constitution.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

By the way, when I said that Eminem’s older more underground style stuff is a bit better, I just meant style-wise. I’m not usually an fan of over-the-top disrespectful/shock-value type lyrics, including Eminem’s, and whether it is Eminem’s older or newer material.
Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 am He has made a career off of being provocative, so, I don't really know what's so surprising.

As it's all been done before, artists are trying new ways to still be edgy.

When I was younger it was a big deal just for a man to wear makeup, these kind of things are changing.
In this video, which is also off of the new album, he uses many images from the "Darkness" video, and at then at the end says, "look what I'm planning" with a deranged voice and then laughs. It's pretty disconcerting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREVFazus4o

Return to “Media”