Eminem darkness

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Vasana

Re: Eminem darkness

Post by Vasana » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:14 am

Virgo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 am
Sonam Wangchug wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 am
He has made a career off of being provocative, so, I don't really know what's so surprising.

As it's all been done before, artists are trying new ways to still be edgy.

When I was younger it was a big deal just for a man to wear makeup, these kind of things are changing.
In this video, which is also off of the new album, he uses many images from the "Darkness" video, and at then at the end says, "look what I'm planning" with a deranged voice and then laughs. It's pretty disconcerting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREVFazus4o
The 'look what I'm planing' bit at the end is in reference to the impersonation a comedian did of Eminem last year that Eminem took a liking to do and featured in another recent collaboration he did before this album.

I don't think it has any intentional thematic relation to the shooting side of things but rather Eminem being conscious of how ridiculous his rhymes can get and using the skit to just end the track.

ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

Vasana

Re: Eminem darkness

Post by Vasana » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 am

Sādhaka wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:41 pm
By the way, when I said that Eminem’s older more underground style stuff is a bit better, I just meant style-wise. I’m not usually an fan of over-the-top disrespectful/shock-value type lyrics, including Eminem’s, and whether it is Eminem’s older or newer material.
It's ok, you don't have to justify your music taste to anyone :mrgreen:

I grew up listening to eminem from his first records with Dr Dre so my teenage years were influenced a lot by him I guess. Some of his stuff doesn't sit with me so well but overall i still rate him as an artist even though he's also put out a lot of garbage too.

Maybe darknesss wasn't executed perfectly but at least hes using his platform to highlight social issues, as he also did in his freestyles against Trump. Like I said before, some people will listen to Em's political recommendations more than others.

I bet there are a number of pro gun Eminem fans experiencing cognitive dissonance. Maybe a portion of those will come round to the idea guns are bad news. Equally, I'm sure a portion will just disagree.
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

Return to “Media”