Bill Maher on Megexit

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Post Reply
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by DNS » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Pretty good skit by Bill Maher on his New Rules, Jan. 17, 2020



Note around 1:50 mark, you don't have to follow every "batshit tradition or religion" of the one you were born in.

I have often felt that too. Most people just blindly accept the religion they were born into, without questioning it. People will often change political parties differing from their parents, but not their religion.
Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Mantrik » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 pm

DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Pretty good skit by Bill Maher on his New Rules, Jan. 17, 2020



Note around 1:50 mark, you don't have to follow every "batshit tradition or religion" of the one you were born in.

I have often felt that too. Most people just blindly accept the religion they were born into, without questioning it. People will often change political parties differing from their parents, but not their religion.
Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta
Funny these Yanks. ;)
But unlike the Royals, most in the UK don't seem to be born into any religion at all, except maybe a nod to Jesus at Easter and Xmas. And this is why we've become the happy hunting ground for every 'batshit new spirituality' you can name, as people seek to fill the void.
We've got the lot - in fact *Gallstonebury alone has most of them, and some yet to be given a name as they hybridise a combo of appropriation or misappropriation from other cultures.
And that's the issue - cultural context.
Most are simply out to exploit those on 'Gullible's Travails' , the Saviour Seekers.
So whilst we need to question the batshit religion we are born into, we do need to be very sure, as your quote explains, not to replace it with one which is even more batshitified.

* I renamed Glastonbury as Gallstonebury as it is a painful piss-take.
Last edited by Mantrik on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
well wisher
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 am
Location: Canada

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by well wisher » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:54 pm

DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta

Great quote about the Kalama Sutra - I love it!
More free thinking definitely needs to be encouraged. As what might work for one person, might not work for others. And times and circumstances do change as well - the irrefutable sign of impermanence.
And that include religions as well. (including the whole controversial mess about the God-thingy, often unprovable/too obscure/contradictory/abusive ...etc.)

There should be more focus on actual observable empirical evidences and results & well-tested experiences, along with actual benefits vs harms analysis. What can help yourself in beneficial ways, and in conformance with the truth and reality, is the best path.

DharmaN00b
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Pardon my lzy investment and writing sir, but..

In some respects having a division of labour is important. We're not all singing all dancing, so we have repective professionals in whom we place our faith and trust. Of course in the states there's no central professional body and freedom of speech and welfare/healthcare written into a constitution (AFAIK).

In spite of having freedom of quackery the tendency is there to be spoon fed information (honest working man/woman is honest) and moreso opinion mongers- where the press no longer have an opinion column... it's the whole damn thing, so newspapar is no better than filler in shoe-boxes and small pets.
So any flight of fancy people develop is more a function of having too much free time. If it's tied to an organization let them wave it around in public.

Aaand.. so long and the pot heads and schizophrenics aren't harming anyone, they can believe all they want that the sheeple have their eyes shut. The truth may just be part laziness, part business or simply a penchant for fantasy.

PeterC
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by PeterC » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:19 am

DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta
The first Sutra I ever heard, and still my favorite

Simon E.
Posts: 7222
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:07 am

Mantrik wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 pm
DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Pretty good skit by Bill Maher on his New Rules, Jan. 17, 2020



Note around 1:50 mark, you don't have to follow every "batshit tradition or religion" of the one you were born in.

I have often felt that too. Most people just blindly accept the religion they were born into, without questioning it. People will often change political parties differing from their parents, but not their religion.
Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta
Funny these Yanks. ;)
But unlike the Royals, most in the UK don't seem to be born into any religion at all, except maybe a nod to Jesus at Easter and Xmas. And this is why we've become the happy hunting ground for every 'batshit new spirituality' you can name, as people seek to fill the void.
We've got the lot - in fact *Gallstonebury alone has most of them, and some yet to be given a name as they hybridise a combo of appropriation or misappropriation from other cultures.
And that's the issue - cultural context.
Most are simply out to exploit those on 'Gullible's Travails' , the Saviour Seekers.
So whilst we need to question the batshit religion we are born into, we do need to be very sure, as your quote explains, not to replace it with one which is even more batshitified.

* I renamed Glastonbury as Gallstonebury as it is a painful piss-take.
I think most Americans would be amazed at the lack of any religious sentiment at all among we Brits. The U.K. in 2020 is as secularised as is Sweden or Norway. In fact there is a near universal despising of religion..including Buddhism.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

User avatar
Dan74
Former staff member
Posts: 2728
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Dan74 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Not a huge fan of royalty, but Maher's portrayal is surely nonsense. It is hardly about golden carriages, antiquated traditions and the notion that they are higher than anyone else. They do a lot for their country. It is basically an institution, a job that is inherited and comes with a pretty heavy burden in addition to all the tasks, as we can see. And in all European monarchies, there is overwhelming support for the institution among the voters, AFAIK.

Malcolm
Posts: 29752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 pm
Not a huge fan of royalty, but Maher's portrayal is surely nonsense. It is hardly about golden carriages, antiquated traditions and the notion that they are higher than anyone else. They do a lot for their country. It is basically an institution, a job that is inherited and comes with a pretty heavy burden in addition to all the tasks, as we can see. And in all European monarchies, there is overwhelming support for the institution among the voters, AFAIK.
America is blissfully free of such hereditary nonsense. But of course, we have other nonsense to content with, like a president who would like to be king.

Malcolm
Posts: 29752
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm

well wisher wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:54 pm
DNS wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Do not believe in something because it is reported. Do not believe in something because it has been practiced by generations or becomes a tradition or part of a culture. Do not believe in something because a scripture says it is so. Do not believe in something believing a god has inspired it. Do not believe in something a teacher tells you to. Do not believe in something because the authorities say it is so. Do not believe in hearsay, rumor, speculative opinion, public opinion, or mere acceptance to logic and inference alone. Help yourself, accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise and which you test for yourself and know to be good for yourself and others.
Kalama Sutta

Great quote about the Kalama Sutra - I love it!
More free thinking definitely needs to be encouraged. As what might work for one person, might not work for others. And times and circumstances do change as well - the irrefutable sign of impermanence.
And that include religions as well. (including the whole controversial mess about the God-thingy, often unprovable/too obscure/contradictory/abusive ...etc.)

There should be more focus on actual observable empirical evidences and results & well-tested experiences, along with actual benefits vs harms analysis. What can help yourself in beneficial ways, and in conformance with the truth and reality, is the best path.
Most misunderstood sūtra ever. This is not a charter for free inquiry at all.

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Most misunderstood sūtra ever. This is not a charter for free inquiry at all.
[/quote]

Does ''accept as completely true only that which is praised by the wise'' mean that we should take that which is 'well spoken' as a starting point.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 9384
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 pm
every 'batshit new spirituality' you can name, as people seek to fill the void.
Better than meth and oxy.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:36 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:20 pm
every 'batshit new spirituality' you can name, as people seek to fill the void.
Better than meth and oxy.
Hard to generalise when some, the batshit ones, are cults leading to murder, suicide and mental collapse and others lead to death from dodgy ayahuasca 'shamans' etc etc. Almost any spiritual path can be used by those skilled in creating dependence and parting punters from their money and their marbles.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 9384
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 pm
cults leading to murder, suicide and mental collapse and others lead to death from dodgy ayahuasca 'shamans' etc etc.
Oh, well, then, maybe meth and oxy IS better.

Joke. Joke.

All sounds sad.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:08 pm
cults leading to murder, suicide and mental collapse and others lead to death from dodgy ayahuasca 'shamans' etc etc.
Oh, well, then, maybe meth and oxy IS better.

Joke. Joke.

All sounds sad.
These days we have Google at least, so some may be deterred from engaging with the harmful ones, but once hooked they may be beyond warning. But for the most part, in my experience anyway, they are little groups role playing away with the faeries and not really a danger.
For Harry and Meghan the religion they will find hardest to escape is the worship of fame and privilege.
The press are going to be all over them like a pox.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

DharmaN00b
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Perhaps Bill has seen 'no country for old men' and decided to alter the goalposts. So chance favors the prepared mind, but 'If the rule brought you to this, then what use is the rule?' While I'm on the subject of McCarthy narratives 'the reddening of the west' really means inconvenient exposure when the die is stacked.

I mean even King Harold got an arrow stuck in his eye. That said, yeas no-one is better than anyone else but if we're talking new rules, does it level out the playing field? :emb:

User avatar
well wisher
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 am
Location: Canada

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by well wisher » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:26 pm
Most misunderstood sūtra ever. This is not a charter for free inquiry at all.
If there is no free inquiry, then there are no path to real personal understandings in this conventional world, and it will become pointless to chase any knowledge/solutions/enlightenment - only forced tyranny shall exists.
Is this analysis wrong? Do you imply that all is empty and pointless in Samsara, including wisdom itself?
"There is no attainment of wisdom, and no wisdom to attain" - Heart sutra
https://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/heartsutra.html
If that is one's viewpoint, then why not pursue nihilism for a quicker total end of all Samsara and suffering? Wouldn't that be truly noble? All is empty in Samasara - right?

If one cannot provide any details or proper rebuttal points like a proper scholar, but only quick short refusal replies without any proper explanations, then that phrase contains no wisdom at all , and deserves to be ignored.

Simon E.
Posts: 7222
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:36 pm

So, if you lack the underpinning knowledge that would enable you to follow Loppon Malcolms point, that is somehow HIS fault and he should be ignored..’well wisher’? Or are you saying he should only feed you predigested food?
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

DharmaN00b
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by DharmaN00b » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 pm

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el008.html

This is in contrast with Thannisaro Bhikkhu notes on the sutra. It's cited as a carte blanche (or wild card if you want to go off the deep end).

AFAIW, there's a bit more scientific rigor involved with the proof being in the pudding, therein no trace of doubt is to be found :juggling: teehee

User avatar
well wisher
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 am
Location: Canada

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by well wisher » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:36 pm
So, if you lack the underpinning knowledge that would enable you to follow Loppon Malcolms point, that is somehow HIS fault and he should be ignored..’well wisher’? Or are you saying he should only feed you predigested food?
Feel free to call it whatever you want, predigested food or lacking knowledge or whatever; labels are just labels, words are just words. But lacking any proper explanations or even proofs or examples, it would be a total waste of time in my view - just plain empty words with no meanings or any benefits.
I did not intentionally imply any fault, I was just stating the obvious facts. And sorry, but I do not have any powers to read others' minds yet, so miscommunications and misunderstandings with the primitive words-communicative system is bound to occur.

Remember: proper conventional knowledge requires evidences, proofs, and logical explanations. Scientific rigor does have its merits.
Lacking these, it would not adhere to the observable reality, and would be just fantasy delusions, outside of the conventional view.

Anyways, I am not trying to seek any hostility or any pointless bickering, so feel free to disagree, and I will just leave it at that. Cheers ;)
Last edited by well wisher on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon E.
Posts: 7222
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Bill Maher on Megexit

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

There’s nothing to agree or disagree with. Someone with a depth of knowledge of Buddhadharma made an observation to you and you didn’t understand his point. Because you do not have the background knowledge. This is not about agreeing with it or not. Why don’t you spend a year or two finding out about mainstream Buddhist teaching and then engage on DW?
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Post Reply

Return to “Media”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests