Western Gyo, Eastern Gyo in Tendai

liuzg150181

Re: Western Gyo, Eastern Gyo in Tendai

Post by liuzg150181 »

DGA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 am Yeah I know. In fact the importance of following a teacher is espoused in Mahayana tradition,more so in Vajrayana(including Japanese Vajrayana).
The roles are different in Vajrayana traditions, but the need is the same all around. For some reason, this gets forgotten in certain discussions around here, so I went ahead and underscored it.
Interestingly,I once had a chat with a Vajrayana practitioner who went to learn meditation in Pa Auk Theravada-style meditation, it is implied from his meditation interview with the monk that a teacher is necessary even Theravada(at least in Pa Auk tradition).
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

DGA wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 am
rory wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 am
I should add, this is due to a general unease of "commitment", which I would only imagine would be problematized by "samaya", rather than an "opposition" to tantra or esotericism in general. I am similarly disinteresting in being a "priest", for personal reasons. I am very interesting in learning, however, especially from a source considered "well-established".
I entirely understand your reservations,there is no way I would give up my power and engage in guru worship, it's against my nature plus, I've seen and read about too much about abuse. Tendai doesn't engage in guru worship and I believe the same goes for Shingon, it's a feature of Tibetan Buddhism. Definitely contact the Californai Tendai Learning Center. Rev. Ryoei has a PhD in Math and her lecture on Tendai philosophy, the Three Truths is just what would interest you.
gassho
Rory
The comments in the above post regarding the teacher-student relationship in Tibetan Buddhism are ill-informed and inaccurate. This isn't the place to correct them. I recommend that concerned parties take their questions to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=21513
Actually I reread the discussion more carefully and realise Coëmgenu was referring to commitment and samaya in Japanese Vajrayana,not Tibetan one.
Nevertheless,good to clear things up regarding misconception of TB(there are many).
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

DGA wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:54 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:03 pm
Out of curiosity, does the New York Institute also function generally as an education centre, if I may add to the above question-and-answer exchange. I say this, because I am very interested in learning what I can from such a resource, but I am not particularly interested or likely to be interested in receiving the 2 realms mandala transmission, I assume that that is the "esoteric" portion of the education.
It's a place you can learn. The offer weekend retreats and things. But given your location geographically, I would start here first:

http://www.tendai.ca/welcome.htm
Yes, I have been looking at that place for a while. A note of serendipitous synchronicity: after revisiting their webpage after having read most of what I on the other location, I noticed that the head of that sangha was trained at the very same location I had just been reading about.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

liuzg150181 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 am A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
truer words were never spoken!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm
DGA wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:54 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:03 pm
Out of curiosity, does the New York Institute also function generally as an education centre, if I may add to the above question-and-answer exchange. I say this, because I am very interested in learning what I can from such a resource, but I am not particularly interested or likely to be interested in receiving the 2 realms mandala transmission, I assume that that is the "esoteric" portion of the education.
It's a place you can learn. The offer weekend retreats and things. But given your location geographically, I would start here first:

http://www.tendai.ca/welcome.htm
Yes, I have been looking at that place for a while. A note of serendipitous synchronicity: after revisiting their webpage after having read most of what I on the other location, I noticed that the head of that sangha was trained at the very same location I had just been reading about.
I know Innen. He's a fine fellow.

Return to “Tendai”