Sannõ 山王

DGA
Former staff member

Sannõ 山王

Post by DGA »

I'm looking for knowledge on the deity Sannõ ( 山王) beyond this article:

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/Saru-n ... keuchi.pdf

Any insights and/or resources will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Fortyeightvows

Re: Sannõ 山王

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I think this is what your looking for! down the rabbit hole we go!

Japanese Journal of Religious Studies 1996 23/1-2
The Distinctive Features of Sanno Ichijitsu Shinto
SUGAHARA Shinkai
https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2587

I'm glad you posted about this, I'm planning a short visit to Hiei and I've been trying to read up on as much as I can, and this is a very interesting, up-my-alley topic!
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Sannō Miya Mandara
The Iconography of Pure Land on this Earth
https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2910

Linguistic Cubism — A Singularity of Pluralism in the Sanno Cult 一
Allan G. Grapard
https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2356

Shinto as a Religion for the Warrior Class The Case of Yoshikawa Koretaru
Bernhard Scheid
https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2784

http://www.cultureandcosmos.org/pdfs/10 ... Arichi.pdf
Seven Stars of Heaven and Seven Shrines on Earth: The Big Dipper and the Hie Shrine in the Medieval Period
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Someone may be able to help with the translation: http://www.kuniomi.gr.jp/togen/iwai/sannousi.html
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thank you all for the helpful leads.
Fortyeightvows wrote:I'm glad you posted about this, I'm planning a short visit to Hiei and I've been trying to read up on as much as I can, and this is a very interesting, up-my-alley topic!
Hiei-san is... well, you have to see and feel it to "get" it. I'm delighted you get to make pilgrimage there. I am eager to return myself.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Where did you stay when you went?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Fortyeightvows wrote:Where did you stay when you went?
I was invited to stay at the hotel that is maybe a hundred meters from the Konpon Chudo for one night.

It's not hard to access Hiei-san from Kyoto, though. It takes me longer to drive to work each day than it took us to take a public bus from Kyoto train station to Enryakuji.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Good to know. Thank you
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Fortyeightvows wrote:Good to know. Thank you
No problem. Maybe a separate thread on "traveling to Hiei san" is appropriate. I'm eager to encourage anyone who is traveling to Japan to pay Hiei san a visit. It is its own thing. I know of no other place that feels like it.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

DGA wrote:
Fortyeightvows wrote:Where did you stay when you went?
I was invited to stay at the hotel that is maybe a hundred meters from the Konpon Chudo for one night.

It's not hard to access Hiei-san from Kyoto, though. It takes me longer to drive to work each day than it took us to take a public bus from Kyoto train station to Enryakuji.
btw that hotel is called Enryakuji Kaikan Ryokan Shiga .
Fortyeightvows

sanno ichijitsu shinto

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I was looking at the english version of the book "Myth and Deity in Japan. The Interplay of Kami and Buddhas. Kamata Tōji Translated by Gaynor Sekimori" (great book!)
Anyways starting at page 116 has some info about this cult. Basically talks about how the cult was started by a tendai priest and that it had a disagreement with with the yoshida shinto sect about how to enshrine Ieyasu. The tendai priest who founded the sanno sect (Tendai 1536-1643) wanted to declare him as an avatar of medicine buddha.
jikai

Re: sanno ichijitsu shinto

Post by jikai »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:33 am I was looking at the english version of the book "Myth and Deity in Japan. The Interplay of Kami and Buddhas. Kamata Tōji Translated by Gaynor Sekimori" (great book!)
Anyways starting at page 116 has some info about this cult. Basically talks about how the cult was started by a tendai priest and that it had a disagreement with with the yoshida shinto sect about how to enshrine Ieyasu. The tendai priest who founded the sanno sect (Tendai 1536-1643) wanted to declare him as an avatar of medicine buddha.
Sanno ichijitsu Shinto is much older than that. The events you are talking about led to a new lineage of Sanno Shinto based around Nikko Toshogu shrine complex, and Rinnoji Tendai temple on Mt Nikko. Former shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu is venerated there as Tosho Daigongen 東照大権現. Which is not Sanno Daigongen 山王大権現.

The following video deals in brief with some of the history and might be of interest to some.

Gassho,
Jikai.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

jikai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 am Sanno ichijitsu Shinto is much older than that. The events you are talking about led to a new lineage of Sanno Shinto based around Nikko Toshogu shrine complex, and Rinnoji Tendai temple on Mt Nikko. Former shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu is venerated there as Tosho Daigongen 東照大権現. Which is not Sanno Daigongen 山王大権現.

Gassho,
Jikai.
I"m don't know anything about japanese history but I saw that in the book and I remembered reading about this on this forum.
I may not have cited the book correctly, so here is a picture of the page itself
116.jpg
116.jpg (275.44 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
Fortyeightvows

Re: sanno ichijitsu shinto

Post by Fortyeightvows »

jikai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 amThe following video deals in brief with some of the history and might be of interest to some.
Video looks good, like a national geographic style. I'll watch it tommorow.
jikai

Post by jikai »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 am
jikai wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 am Sanno ichijitsu Shinto is much older than that. The events you are talking about led to a new lineage of Sanno Shinto based around Nikko Toshogu shrine complex, and Rinnoji Tendai temple on Mt Nikko. Former shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu is venerated there as Tosho Daigongen 東照大権現. Which is not Sanno Daigongen 山王大権現.

Gassho,
Jikai.
I"m don't know anything about japanese history but I saw that in the book and I remembered reading about this on this forum.
I may not have cited the book correctly, so here is a picture of the page itself
116.jpg

Yes, what I meant to say was that Sanno Daigongen, and Sanno Shinto is very much older. Sanno Ichijitsu Shinto, is a branch of Sanno Shinto that develops during the Edo period for the reasons I mentioned. But the diety Sanno, and Sanno Shinto is much older. And formerly begins with Saicho's return to Japan from China. Informally of course, Sanno Daigongen was worshipped long before that.

Gassho,
Jikai.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)

Return to “Tendai”