Preparing for Ordination in Tendai

Dharmasherab

Preparing for Ordination in Tendai

Post by Dharmasherab »

I am making this thread more on behalf of an online group and its potential members who would be Tendai Buddhists rather than myself.

The questions is how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist in one’s practice prior to ordaining in the Tendai school of Buddhism?

It is about collecting all types of ideas on how to best prepare as a lay Buddhist before making the decision of ordaining as a monastic as well as a lay ordained member in Tendai with a view to making that a lifetime commitment (and not a trial). It is also about how to optimise one’s practice as a Buddhist before making the decision to ordain in Tendai.

I hope to share these ideas with the online group because we are a group looking for all types of advice and suggestions for ordination and the way to prepare for Tendai ordination will be of great benefit. But even otherwise people who are are thinking of ordaining in Tendai in this forum might find the comments helpful.

I am aware there could be Tendai monastics/priests/lay-ordained members who are highly aware of the difference between the lay life and monastic life and I will be very thankful for their advice. I can also appreciate there could be lay Tendai Buddhists who are already optimizing themselves before ordination and I will be thankful for their tips and suggestions too.

Names of books, documents, websites, links to web articles and videos will be highly appreciated (as long as their within the boundaries of ToS).

Thank you.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
rory

Re: Preparing for Ordination in Tendai

Post by rory »

go to a Tendai temple in your area (if possible), read and study the Lotus Sutra and Tiantai/Tendai philosophy, literature, then study with a Tendai priest.
here are links in the US and Europe:
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

It's easy to start as in January Rev. Jikai a Tendai Shu priest will be leading a study group here on Dharma Wheel on Chih-I's (Zhiyi, Chigi) great work: Maka Shikan, Mohe Zhiguan The Great Calming and Contemplation, the Paul Swanson translation "Clear Serenity, Quiet Insight"

The passages will be posted so getting the book (which is a great idea) isn't necessary.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Dharmasherab

Re: Preparing for Ordination in Tendai

Post by Dharmasherab »

Thank you Rory!
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Tendai”