Tendai fire ceremony

BuddhistPeasant

Tendai fire ceremony

Post by BuddhistPeasant »

I am curious about the fire ceremony in Japanese Buddhism. I asked about it in the Shingon section and I would like to ask the same here but related to Tendai. Do you know where I can find a description of the Tendai fire ritual and the meaning of the gestures? Can somebody give me some explanations? I know that lay people may attend to such ceremonies, so I suppose it's not something secret. Sorry if I understood this wrong.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Tendai fire ceremony

Post by DGA »

BuddhistPeasant wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 pm I am curious about the fire ceremony in Japanese Buddhism. I asked about it in the Shingon section and I would like to ask the same here but related to Tendai. Do you know where I can find a description of the Tendai fire ritual and the meaning of the gestures? Can somebody give me some explanations? I know that lay people may attend to such ceremonies, so I suppose it's not something secret. Sorry if I understood this wrong.
There are aspects of the goma ceremony that are learned and mastered by the priests who perform it, and kept secret among them. With that said, if you can attend a goma, I encourage you to do so. It's an excellent practice.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I thought about saying this on your other thread but ill say it here instead. get michael saso's book! One of his books is all about the homa rites
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Due to the esoteric nature of the goma you won't find an in-depth explanation for every element in the public domain. That book you have by Saso is, as far as I'm aware, the only public publication of the Tendai goma. He also has a set of videos that accompanies the book you'll find on his webpage.

I hope that helps
In gassho
Seishin
BuddhistPeasant

Thank you all for your advice. I am very grateful
BuddhistPeasant

Just one more thing - will you please tell me the exact name of the book?
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Its called. Tantric art and meditation. If you Google Michael Saso you should be able to find his website
BuddhistPeasant

thank you. I found it.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Seishin wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm Its called. Tantric art and meditation.
The one I was talking about its called "Homa rites and maṇḍala meditation in Tendai Buddhism"
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I believe it's the same book under a different title. But I may be wrong
BuddhistPeasant

For now, I found the one suggested by Rev Seishin and it contains references to the goma ritual.

Return to “Tendai”