The Lotus Sutra chanted by monks from the Tiantai Buddhist Studies Institute in Mandarin

FromTheEarth

The Lotus Sutra chanted by monks from the Tiantai Buddhist Studies Institute in Mandarin

Post by FromTheEarth »

Hi everyone,
I've just uploaded the Lotus Sutra chant by monks from the Tiantai Buddhist Studies Institute to Youtube, with the kindly permission of Dr. Cheng (see below). It is a very rare, precious edition since it is probably the first complete recording that contains the whole sutra. Not to mention cultural & religious significance of the location and the chanters! Esoteric it might be, I hope interested persons may enjoy knowing how the contemporary Chinese Tiantai monks chant the Lotus Sutra.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gquJxklf5v

Since the re-establishment of the TBSI, later affiliated with the Zhejiang Provincial Buddhist Studies Institute, the TBSI Sangha has continued to chant the Lotus Sutra as their daily, communal practice for years. Besides, before the end of every year's Rains Retreat (Varṣa), the sangha would also hold 7-or-14-day Lotus Sutra Retreats.
The chant was recorded in 2013, in the library of the Wan'nian Monastery, Tiantai Mountain, where TBSI was located. The initiative of recording the Lotus Sutra chant on this site, where Master Zhiyi established the Tiantai School, also known as the Lotus School, was brought about by Dr. CHENG Qing et al. from Shanghai. With the merciful permission from the Guo'qing Monastery and the Wan'nian Monastery, the recruited production team recorded the chant of the whole sutra with advanced equipment and manufactured CDs. The chant has been allowed to be circulated freely since then.
The Chinese translation of the Lotus Sutra is divided into seven scrolls. Each file contains the chant of one scroll.
----------
Eventually, my utmost gratitude to the TBSI Sangha, Dr. Cheng and everyone who has contributed to the production and the circulation of the chant.
May the merits we have accumulated
be extended universally to all sentient beings
so that they, together with us,
may equally realize the Awakening.
Virgo

Re: The Lotus Sutra chanted by monks from the Tiantai Buddhist Studies Institute in Mandarin

Post by Virgo »

It's very nice, thanks.

Kevin...
Aryjna

Re: The Lotus Sutra chanted by monks from the Tiantai Buddhist Studies Institute in Mandarin

Post by Aryjna »

The style of chanting is the same as in a cd I have had for years. I wonder if these melodies/style of chanting as specific in Tiantai or Chinese Buddhism in general.
FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am The style of chanting is the same as in a cd I have had for years. I wonder if these melodies/style of chanting as specific in Tiantai or Chinese Buddhism in general.
Hi Aryjna, it's kinda general, though in a few regions where traditional chanting in the local dialects has been preserved, you might witness quite different styles.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

FromTheEarth wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm
Aryjna wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 am The style of chanting is the same as in a cd I have had for years. I wonder if these melodies/style of chanting as specific in Tiantai or Chinese Buddhism in general.
Hi Aryjna, it's kinda general, though in a few regions where traditional chanting in the local dialects has been preserved, you might witness quite different styles.
Thanks.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

FromTheEarth wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm Hi Aryjna, it's kinda general, though in a few regions where traditional chanting in the local dialects has been preserved, you might witness quite different styles.
Do you use the category like ocean chanting and mountain chanting?
FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 am
FromTheEarth wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm Hi Aryjna, it's kinda general, though in a few regions where traditional chanting in the local dialects has been preserved, you might witness quite different styles.
Do you use the category like ocean chanting and mountain chanting?
Hi Fortyeightvows, no. Are these categories Korean or Tibetan?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Well, I'm sure you know 海潮音.
FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 am Well, I'm sure you know 海潮音.
Oh thanks for the explanation! I feel suddenly enlightened!

Return to “Tendai”