Multiple teachers, Tibetan and Tendai, is that ok?

Matylda

Re: Multiple teachers, Tibetan and Tendai, is that ok?

Post by Matylda »

Arupajhana7 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 pm Hello,

I have been practicing in Tibetan Buddhist lineage for some time now. I was heavily involved with Shambhala, for many reasons that you may be able to guess, I am leaving this Sangha.

I received transmission within the Dzogchen lineage of Namkhai Norbu but was not heavily involved in the community. I do short practices that involve a very short visualization daily, and often a 7 minute song/mantra type of exercise.

I am currently studying online with Mingyur Rinpoche, though I have not yet started vajrayana practices through Tergar. I really like MIngyur and am interested in pursuing his teachings and practices.

But there is no Tergar community located near me.

I visited Japan recently and accidentally found out about the temple complex in Mt Hiei. I visited it and I was blown away. I was really inspired by the mountains, the temples, and delighted to find something so similar to Tibetan Buddhism within Japan. I felt really connected to the place but when I left Japan I figured I would never find anything related to Tendai in the US.

But it turns out that actually there is a Tendai Community near me. Not close to where I am living at this moment, but very close to the area I intend to move to within a few years.

I understand that Tendai is a tantric tradition, like Tibetan Buddhism.

Mingyur RInpoche and Namkhai Norbu have both said that it is fine to have multiple teachers as long as one is sincere about learning from each them.

My question is, is it ok to potentially start doing Vajrayana practices within the Tergar lineage, and then later some day also pursue the Tendai Community? Does Tendai require people to exclusively practice within the Tendai lineage?

Any information you can provide would be great.

Thank you!
Go for it... and do not look at Tibetans what they say about tantra classification etc. they have no knowledge of Japanese tantric tradition in fact. But it is extremely worth of doing it. Best is to find teachers in Japan, and best is to get ordained. You may have still very secular life, they do not mind, but if you would wish to get all transmissions, practices and initiations - jap. Kanjo - tib. wang - sansk. abhisheka, you should get ordained. For lay people there is limited possibility, even for japanese.
Arupajhana7

Post by Arupajhana7 »

I reached out by phone to the temple in upstate NY and am in the process of getting more information. It seems they are open to people with backgrounds in other lineages. It is normal for people with backgrounds in Tibetan Buddhism to become involved with their sangha.

So I am not a special case (^_^)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Arupajhana7 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 pm I reached out by phone to the temple in upstate NY and am in the process of getting more information. It seems they are open to people with backgrounds in other lineages. It is normal for people with backgrounds in Tibetan Buddhism to become involved with their sangha.

:twothumbsup: Glad to hear that!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Arupajhana7 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 pm I reached out by phone to the temple in upstate NY and am in the process of getting more information. It seems they are open to people with backgrounds in other lineages. It is normal for people with backgrounds in Tibetan Buddhism to become involved with their sangha.

That's excellent.

I have a small piece of advice that you didn't ask for, but may be useful to you. It follows on Matylda's excellent post above.

If you choose to begin practicing in the Tendai school (any temple), put everything you learned elsewhere out of your mind for a while and focus on what's happening in the moment. Set aside any comparing or looking out for similarities and/or differences for some time--save that for later.

Tendai Buddhist Institute welcomes a wide variety of people. I've met laypeople who are also regulars at the local congregational church. I've met laypeople who also join in practices at a nearby Sufi temple. I've met laypeople who are observant Jews. It's a broad-minded and welcoming community. I'm a complete maniac but I want to learn Dharma and they let me stick around (full disclosure: I've spent just under four months of my life altogether at TBI, in retreats or training or meetings or whatever). So don't worry, just show up, be present, bring the love, and do your best wherever you go. No problem!

Return to “Tendai”