California Tendai Monastery: Reborn

DGA
Former staff member

California Tendai Monastery: Reborn

Post by DGA »

Or, rather, in the process of rebirth.
within the next few years there will be several people, including Junsen Nettles and Jiko Clarke, who will be living near and on CTM, putting our plans into action. There will be a functioning temple, living quarters, and associated buildings. The leaders of the temple will all be ordained in the Tendai tradition and have specific skills that lend themselves to the goals of the reorganized CTM.

This Tendai complex will be devoted to Ikigai (Jpn. 生きがい) which is roughly translated as intellectual and spiritual settings that enable people to feel that their lives are valued. We will use Morita teachings as a guide, including and incorporating Tendai Shikan meditation, mikkyo (esoteric practices), chanting, shodo (brush calligraphy), tai chi, constructive living principles, and Buddha Dharma classes, etc. It will not be a retreat center. People can be in residence for various periods of time, and they will be expected to work and function as a monastic community, with instruction from the core teachers.

The whole story is moving and complex... very much worth a read. Enjoy:

http://www.tendai.org/koshin/?page_id=983
aaron_proffitt

Re: California Tendai Monastery: Reborn

Post by aaron_proffitt »

These are exciting developments indeed! Revs. Junsen and Jiko are absolutely fantastic.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Great news! :twothumbsup:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I have known Rev. Junsen Nettles for about nine years. He led the DC Tendai group (Great River Tendai Sangha) for the last three years. I have great confidence in his leadership and ability. I only know Rev. Jiko by reputation, which is excellent. I expect them to form a complimentary team.

I look forward to supporting this initiative.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Wonderful news! I wish them the very best

Return to “Tendai”