[5min video] Hieizan , Enryakuji temple , Mt Hiei

FromTheEarth

[5min video] Hieizan , Enryakuji temple , Mt Hiei

Post by FromTheEarth » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:37 pm

如傑優婆塞

Re: [5min video] Hieizan , Enryakuji temple , Mt Hiei

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:20 am

Thanks for the video and I have seen it some time back. Have you visited Hieizan (比叡山)?

My first unforgettable visit was in early Autumn of 2014 but it was a short one that only managed to cover one of the three part sites: the popular Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower). At that time, I used the Eizan Main Line from Demachiyanagi Station (出町柳駅) in Northeastern Kyōto side to Yase Hieizan-guchi Station (八瀬比叡山口駅) & proceed to the Eizan Cable (叡山ケーブル, Eizan Kēburu or Cable Line; 鋼索線, Kōsakusen) to go up. Back then, it was a rainy, misty & windy morning, almost a magical place with that combo! The plus factor was that the major renovation project on the main star attraction of the Tōdō area, Enryakuji's Konpon Chūdō (延暦寺根本中堂) hasn't commenced yet (started in 2016 and projected to be done in about a decade's time). It's here that this shrine hall houses the over 1,200 years old perpetual lamp known as the 'Inextinguishable Dharma Light' (不減の法灯) and its historical & iconic Yakushi Nyorai (薬師如来) statue. Then, I promised that I'll be back again, karma willing.

So, last month, it was fulfilled. This time, I used the other route of the JR Kosei Line (湖西線, Koseisen) from Kyōto Station to Hieizan Sakamoto Station (比叡山坂本駅), walk about 20 minutes or so to the Sakamoto Cable (坂本ケーブル, Sakamoto Kēburu) and up. Along this way are some landmark temples and shrines plus by the way, this cable line is the longest funicular line in Japan. On the way up, one can view the mountain forest view, gorgeous views of the nearby Ōtsu City (大津市) plus the Lake Biwa (琵琶湖, Biwako), hiking trail and shrine sites. Once up, there are some shrine sites nearby the cable station and the main paved trail of about 15 minutes walk towards the Tōdō which parallels the mountain highway. From here, one may hop on a bus service that covers the other two parts: Saitō (西塔, West Pagoda) and Yokokawa / Yokawa (横川, River Side). In between Saitō & Yokawa, there's the Hieizan Minemichi (比叡山峰道) where it's a highway rest stop with a huge memorial standing statue of Dengyō Daishi (伝教大師) on one side and its signature Hieizan Minemichi Restaurant (比叡山峰道レストラン) where dining comes with a panoramic view of the mountain and the Biwako. Thankfully, the weather this time was partly sunny and mostly cloudy which is bearable for the tons of walking and some hiking that awaits visitors to here.

Yokawa is known as a spiritual training ground founded by Jikaku Daishi (慈覺大師) and graced by many notable masters like Genshin (源信), Shinran (親鸞), Nichiren (日蓮) and Dōgen (道元) and also houses the famed Ganzan Daishi Ryōgen (元三大師良源) where his Shiki Kōdō (四季講堂) or Ganzan Daishi Dō (元三大師堂) is plus the Yokokawa Chūdō (横川中堂) a heritage site dedicated to Shō Kannon (聖観音) is listed on a 'new list' as claimed by a tourist brochure the 18th Kannon Temple on the famed Kannon Pilgrimage Trail. In Saitō, there was Jōdoin (浄土院) where Dengyō Daishi's mausoleum is and the single surviving small temple from the 1571 Oda Nobunaga (織田信長) onslaught of Hieizan where it was estimated that over 3,000 temples were razed in his campaign to subdue the warring & complicated political Tendai Jimon (寺門) and Sanmon (山門) factions. Apparently, as I recall reading, Ruridō (瑠璃堂), dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, survived because this Daimyō forgot about it! I too gave it a miss as it was already an exhausting day for me as Saitō was my last stop (I started at Tōdō (bus stop is at the exterior of this site) and then worked backwards from Yokawa, Minemichi, Saitō and back to Tōdō). On top of it all, Ruridō is listed but it's off the common trail and takes some hiking up an unmarked route. It was memorable to revisit back some areas and new exploration. As usual, I brought back lots of stuff from this time, not to mention the photos and memories of the sites and people. In the future, I may want to explore here as I was totally out after a whole day exploring 比叡山!   

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:44 am

:applause: :anjali:
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:20 am
Thanks for the video and I have seen it some time back. Have you visited Hieizan (比叡山)?

My first unforgettable visit was in early Autumn of 2014 but it was a short one that only managed to cover one of the three part sites: the popular Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower). At that time, I used the Eizan Main Line from Demachiyanagi Station (出町柳駅) in Northeastern Kyōto side to Yase Hieizan-guchi Station (八瀬比叡山口駅) & proceed to the Eizan Cable (叡山ケーブル, Eizan Kēburu or Cable Line; 鋼索線, Kōsakusen) to go up. Back then, it was a rainy, misty & windy morning, almost a magical place with that combo! The plus factor was that the major renovation project on the main star attraction of the Tōdō area, Enryakuji's Konpon Chūdō (延暦寺根本中堂) hasn't commenced yet (started in 2016 and projected to be done in about a decade's time). It's here that this shrine hall houses the over 1,200 years old perpetual lamp known as the 'Inextinguishable Dharma Light' (不減の法灯) and its historical & iconic Yakushi Nyorai (薬師如来) statue. Then, I promised that I'll be back again, karma willing.

So, last month, it was fulfilled. This time, I used the other route of the JR Kosei Line (湖西線, Koseisen) from Kyōto Station to Hieizan Sakamoto Station (比叡山坂本駅), walk about 20 minutes or so to the Sakamoto Cable (坂本ケーブル, Sakamoto Kēburu) and up. Along this way are some landmark temples and shrines plus by the way, this cable line is the longest funicular line in Japan. On the way up, one can view the mountain forest view, gorgeous views of the nearby Ōtsu City (大津市) plus the Lake Biwa (琵琶湖, Biwako), hiking trail and shrine sites. Once up, there are some shrine sites nearby the cable station and the main paved trail of about 15 minutes walk towards the Tōdō which parallels the mountain highway. From here, one may hop on a bus service that covers the other two parts: Saitō (西塔, West Pagoda) and Yokokawa / Yokawa (横川, River Side). In between Saitō & Yokawa, there's the Hieizan Minemichi (比叡山峰道) where it's a highway rest stop with a huge memorial standing statue of Dengyō Daishi (伝教大師) on one side and its signature Hieizan Minemichi Restaurant (比叡山峰道レストラン) where dining comes with a panoramic view of the mountain and the Biwako. Thankfully, the weather this time was partly sunny and mostly cloudy which is bearable for the tons of walking and some hiking that awaits visitors to here.

Yokawa is known as a spiritual training ground founded by Jikaku Daishi (慈覺大師) and graced by many notable masters like Genshin (源信), Shinran (親鸞), Nichiren (日蓮) and Dōgen (道元) and also houses the famed Ganzan Daishi Ryōgen (元三大師良源) where his Shiki Kōdō (四季講堂) or Ganzan Daishi Dō (元三大師堂) is plus the Yokokawa Chūdō (横川中堂) a heritage site dedicated to Shō Kannon (聖観音) is listed on a 'new list' as claimed by a tourist brochure the 18th Kannon Temple on the famed Kannon Pilgrimage Trail. In Saitō, there was Jōdoin (浄土院) where Dengyō Daishi's mausoleum is and the single surviving small temple from the 1571 Oda Nobunaga (織田信長) onslaught of Hieizan where it was estimated that over 3,000 temples were razed in his campaign to subdue the warring & complicated political Tendai Jimon (寺門) and Sanmon (山門) factions. Apparently, as I recall reading, Ruridō (瑠璃堂), dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, survived because this Daimyō forgot about it! I too gave it a miss as it was already an exhausting day for me as Saitō was my last stop (I started at Tōdō (bus stop is at the exterior of this site) and then worked backwards from Yokawa, Minemichi, Saitō and back to Tōdō). On top of it all, Ruridō is listed but it's off the common trail and takes some hiking up an unmarked route. It was memorable to revisit back some areas and new exploration. As usual, I brought back lots of stuff from this time, not to mention the photos and memories of the sites and people. In the future, I may want to explore here as I was totally out after a whole day exploring 比叡山!   
Wow, fascinated to hear about your trips! Your detailed records could be very useful for others as I definitely paid no attention to the existence of Ruridō (瑠璃堂). Had I known that, I would definitely go there in my visit a few days ago.
Hieizan was indeed a gorgeous place. When I visited the Konpon Chūdō, the acharya was performing the routine Goma ritual, and that was marvelous, though it was said that we could not see the entire architecture. Glad to know you were there before the renovation project started!

rory

Post by rory » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:44 am

I've never seen that film, thank you so much From the Earth, and I also enjoyed the detailed journey to Hieizan, from DifficultDharmaName (can you at least use romaji/hiragana for the less adept). I cannot wait to go one day.
It is a kindness to share this here, I'm very appreciative!
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am

Wow, fascinated to hear about your trips! Your detailed records could be very useful for others as I definitely paid no attention to the existence of Ruridō (瑠璃堂). Had I known that, I would definitely go there in my visit a few days ago.
Hieizan was indeed a gorgeous place. When I visited the Konpon Chūdō, the acharya was performing the routine Goma ritual, and that was marvelous, though it was said that we could not see the entire architecture. Glad to know you were there before the renovation project started!
Actually, it's a clumsy description from feeble memory, hardly any concrete details compared to what's actually there lol. Another detail would be that it took me some digging through so many sites via the online touristy maps and brochures in both English & Japanese (of which I am still a green horn) to find out what's actually on that mountain as I found out that even those guides are incomplete. For instance, brochure A would list 5 places but just when you thought that was reliable, map B shows another 2-3 more sites. So I ended up bringing along several versions to make sure that I had tried my best to cover all corners as much as possible. YET, when I was there physically, there were 1 or 2 small temples or shrines not found in any of the printed material nor even pointed out in any of the signages. Sometimes, those places are off the official trail and that's where I will play the safe tourist and keep on track. Now, for practical purposes, sometimes WIFI doesn't work on mountains and it pays to bring along hard copies in both languages as some places come with kanji only signages, what more for those with obscure ones. That's the whole fun in it isn't it when one ends up like Indiana Jones? How fortunate for you there was a goma going there as when I was there, there was nothing going on and only that one spot with a small glimpse into the main altar area with its donation box plus scaffolding everywhere. I was busy visualising my past 2014 memory of it in all of its glory beyond the safety staircase and sheets.

My one major grouse is about their bus service that has a limited timetable that it goes around the routes. I recall that day when I was there on a Sunday that the last service ends at 15:30hrs or 16:00hrs but the Cable Station goes on way later until 18:00hrs - ish if I recall correctly, which leaves most people confined to touring around Tōdō if they are late comers. But for the adventurous, there's always Nature's trail if you choose to skip bus rides to move around the sites. That explains my backwards plan where I covered previously missed areas in Tōdō from the last visit (because the bus service starts from the exterior of this site as explained previously) and then work towards Yokawa, Minemichi & Saitō in that order and by the time I am back at Tōdō, I have ample time to revisit those familiar Tōdō spots without worrying about catching up with the bus schedule.

Oh and hold on to your Tōdō entrance ticket as the entrance staff may acknowledge it and you don't have to pay for another re-entrance should you exit the mountain from the Sakamoto Cable Station side. For those who exit the other Yase Hieizanguchi Station side, there's a choice of a 5 minute ride on a bus from the Tōdō exterior entrance area & vice versa OR a half hour walk. So, the re-entrance of Tōdō isn't an issue for this route. The rides are payable by cash, ICOCA card or a One Day Pass from the driver. In my earlier posting, I mentioned about taking the JR Kosei Line this year because it's a straightforward train route from Kyōto Station whereas another one known as Keihan Ishiyama Sakamoto Line (京阪石山坂本線 Keihan Ishiyama Sakamoto-sen) involves changing of trains and platforms midway. If one (like me) cannot wait for the bus shuttle service at the JR Kosei Line's Hieizan Sakamoto Station, a 20 mins-ish walk awaits and midway through, one will encounter the [Keihan] Sakamoto Station (坂本駅). Of course, there's also the fourth option of a bus ride from Kyōto Station but that's your own homework :tongue:
....from DifficultDharmaName (can you at least use romaji/hiragana for the less adept).
The Chinese Pīnyīn reads: rú jié yōu pó sāi or Upāsaka Rú Jié or just RJ for short.

FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:08 pm

如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am
My one major grouse is about their bus service that has a limited timetable that it goes around the routes. I recall that day when I was there on a Sunday that the last service ends at 15:30hrs or 16:00hrs but the Cable Station goes on way later until 18:00hrs - ish if I recall correctly, which leaves most people confined to touring around Tōdō if they are late comers.
Yep this sounds annoying. Fortunately I didn't go there on Sunday. Also, the mountain would be closed during the winter, for future visitors' reference.
如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 am
Oh and hold on to your Tōdō entrance ticket as the entrance staff may acknowledge it and you don't have to pay for another re-entrance should you exit the mountain from the Sakamoto Cable Station side. For those who exit the other Yase Hieizanguchi Station side, there's a choice of a 5 minute ride on a bus from the Tōdō exterior entrance area & vice versa OR a half hour walk. So, the re-entrance of Tōdō isn't an issue for this route. The rides are payable by cash, ICOCA card or a One Day Pass from the driver. In my earlier posting, I mentioned about taking the JR Kosei Line this year because it's a straightforward train route from Kyōto Station whereas another one known as Keihan Ishiyama Sakamoto Line (京阪石山坂本線 Keihan Ishiyama Sakamoto-sen) involves changing of trains and platforms midway. If one (like me) cannot wait for the bus shuttle service at the JR Kosei Line's Hieizan Sakamoto Station, a 20 mins-ish walk awaits and midway through, one will encounter the [Keihan] Sakamoto Station (坂本駅). Of course, there's also the fourth option of a bus ride from Kyōto Station but that's your own homework :tongue:
These are very helpful. I purchased the one-day pass including a ticket to the Enryakuji Temple. At the entrance to Todo, the staff took the ticket away but gave me a brochure for exchange. Future visitors please do not throw away that brochure as it is an equivalent to the ticket and you would need it to enter other sites without re-paying the entrance fee.
Also, if one purchases the one-day pass or buys something at the souvenir shop in Enryakuji Kaikan, she would get a 10% discount at the Enryakuji cafe where the staff can make Sanskrit-syllable-shaped foam over the coffee/matcha latte.

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:01 am

So, here's some selections from my personal archive that dates back to 2014 & last month's recent trip. Please note that it's not meant to be an exhaustive overview of Hieizan and its glorious legacy but just a sneak preview from my personal lenses. There's so much more about each and every site there that some of it may be searched online in English and Japanese but I will leave that to your own research as it will be too laborious to include those in here but will mention stuff here and there. Also, unless one has a special permit and with visible temple signages, it's 'understood' in Japan that all forms of media are not allowed in inner sanctuaries & special parts of temples and shrines. To kick off the photo collage galore, I will start off with Tōdō for now and work on others as time permits.

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 1

2014 Route: Kyōto Demachiyanagi Station (Eizan Main Line) - Yase Hieizanguchi Station (gorgeous mountain valley scenery here) - Eizan Cable Car & Ropeway - Pathway to Bus Stop or Hiking Trail - Hiei Garden Museum (near bus stop) - Tōdō
Attachments
A.JPG
A.JPG (179.61 KiB) Viewed 416 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:06 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 2

2019 Route: Kyōto JR Kosei Line - Hieizan Sakamoto Station - Over 20 minutes walk (see the sample famed Hiyoshi Taisha [日吉大社] Torī Archways on the way) - Sakamoto Cable Station - Hieizan Enryakuji pedestrian pathway to Tōdō
Attachments
B.JPG
B.JPG (189.2 KiB) Viewed 415 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 3

Top left to right: 2014 pics of Tōdō Main Entrance near the bus stop & from the Eizan Cable Car & Ropeway side.
Bottom left to right: 2019 pics of Tōdō 2nd Entrance from the Hieizan Enryakuji pedestrian pathway & Sakamoto Cable Station side
Attachments
C.JPG
C.JPG (194.58 KiB) Viewed 415 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 4

Top left to right: 2014 & 2019 photos on side view of Konpon Chūdō (根本中堂) original & under current renovation
Bottom left to right: 2014 photos of side & top views of the Main Entrance
(Note that back then, [as one can see from the right pic], it's a two tiered complex: main entrance door, a garden & the main shrine hall. One enters via the long left side walkway, passes by the garden, enters the main hall, leaving via the right side walkway & passing by the same garden to exit through the main door. The religious souvenir stall is in front of the entrance. In 2019, it's located in a makeshift area adjacent to the scaffolded hall)
Attachments
D.JPG
D.JPG (195.47 KiB) Viewed 415 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 5

Top left to right:
Religious monuments near the Konpon Chūdō and long stairway with a sotōba (卒塔婆) in front leading to the Monjurō (文殊楼).

Bottom left to right:
Front & side views of the Monjurō (文殊楼), adjacent bell tower & stone pagoda.
The Monjurō can be climbed up & down via a narrow wooden stairway from right to left side. In this archway tower is an exquisite altar to Mañjuśrī Bodhisattva. It's popular among students petitioning for examination success. The historical background according to a site I've read, this cultural tower was actually envisaged by Dengyō Daishi for meditation practice and was also inspired by his previous visit of China's Wutáishān (五臺山) to establish a shrine to honor Mañjuśrī but this endeavor was only realised by his third successor, Jikaku Daishi (慈覺大師). During construction, stone relics from Wutáishān were placed around the altar in five directions and after Jikaku Daishi's passing, his disciples commissioned an image of Mañjuśrī that contained incense from Wutáishān. In 1984, a Tendai abbot installed soil relics from Wutáishān beneath the Mañjuśrī's lion image. The present Edo Period smaller tower stands where its original stood where it was destroyed in the Nobunaga assault and another fire later.
Attachments
E.JPG
E.JPG (215.27 KiB) Viewed 415 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:36 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 6

Top left to right: Tōten Tenmangū (登天天満宮), Nade Ushi (撫牛) & the Shōrō (鐘楼, adjacent to the Daikōdō)
Bottom left & right: Daikōdō (大講堂) & Kaidanin (戒壇院)
Note: The Tōten Tenmangū that's situated along the upward stairway to the Daikōdō has an interesting local lore of a wronged aristocrat scholar who became a vengeful entity (propitiated as a powerful kami to pacify him) after his death but was subdued and made into one of Hieizan's Dharmapālas by one of Tendai's zasu (座主). Incidently, that scholar's zodiac was that of an ox and again, local lore already has the practice of what is known as 'nade ushi' (撫牛) or 'rubbing ox/ cow' where it's rubbed for healing or good fortune. Some reading links: 1 2
Attachments
F.JPG
F.JPG (217.88 KiB) Viewed 414 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:40 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 7

Amidadō (阿弥陀堂) and its surroundings with its signature Tōdō [東塔 or also known as Hokke Sōjiin (法華総持院) plus two others not in the pic: Jakkodō, 寂光堂 & Kanjōdō 灌頂堂]
Attachments
G.JPG
G.JPG (172.15 KiB) Viewed 414 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 am

Tōdō (東塔, East Stūpa / Pagoda / Tower): Part 8

Top left to right:
Misc road shrines / monuments & pathway to and from Tōdō bus stop exit (poster signages depicting Hieizan's lineage masters & Dengyō Daishi's life.
Bottom left to right:
Souvenir shops, visitors reception near the Hieizan Enryakuji's 2nd Entrance towards the Sakamoto Cable entrance / exit & Daikokudō (大黒堂)
Attachments
H.JPG
H.JPG (194.82 KiB) Viewed 414 times

FromTheEarth

Post by FromTheEarth » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Thank you so much for the lovely pictures!
Now I realize I apparently had a few omissions. And I did not know they have a special name for the ox/cows in the Tenmangūs, how lovely lol.

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 am

Now I realize I apparently had a few omissions.
It's inevitable that omission of sites and landmarks happens for all kinds of reasons. That's why I keep an open agenda for future visits to retrace back previous steps and catch up with missed ones, karma willing :buddha1:

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 am

Yokokawa / Yokawa (横川, River Side): Part 1

Top left to right: Main Entrance side and pedestrian pathway.
Bottom left to right: Ryūgaike Benzaiten (龍ヶ池辯財天)
Local lore has it that a nāga was terrorising this area & its inhabitants until Ganzan Daishi (元三大師), [known by many titles is famed for his spiritual prowess and a renowned prelate in reforming and restoring the Tendai legacy during the upheaval of internal & political warring factions] subdued & made it into a local Dharmapāla plus it was included into the retinue of Benzaiten (Sarasvatī).
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (171.77 KiB) Viewed 354 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 am

Yokokawa / Yokawa (横川, River Side): Part 2

Yokokawa / Yokawa Chūdō (横川中堂, previously known as Shuryō Gonin [首楞厳院]) and is dedicated to Shō Kannon (聖観音, Āryāvalokiteśvara).
It's also known as 'The 18th (Talisman Issuing) Temple of the New Western Japan Sacred Sites' (新西国霊場第18番札所, Shin Saigoku Reijō Dai-18 Ban Fudasho) & 'The 108 Ōmi (Biwako) Sacred Sites, Vow Fulfilling & Talisman Issuing Temple' (近江百八霊場結願札所, Ōmi Hyakuhachi Reijō Ketsugan Fudasho)
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (163.01 KiB) Viewed 352 times

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 am

Yokokawa / Yokawa (横川, River Side): Part 3

Sekizangū (赤山宮)
Apparently, back when Jikaku Daishi (慈覺大師) was in Táng China's Chì Shān (赤山), he adopted an ancient Korean Silla Dynasty deity known as Shiragi Myōjin (新羅明神) or Sinlam Yeongsin (신라명신) for his protection and well being whilst he was there to complete his journey and brought back its veneration to Japan. This myōjin was regarded as a Dharmapāla emanation of Jizō (地蔵, Kṣitigarbha). Here's a sample search of that myōjin.
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 351 times

Return to “Tendai”