English Language Material on Shingon?

M.G.
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am

English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby M.G. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:51 am

Would anyone be able to recommend good English language material on Shingon Buddhism? Thanks so much!

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member
Posts: 3392
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby Kim O'Hara » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:12 am

Nothing in depth - sorry - but here (and following the links from it) is some introductory history: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4900.html

:coffee:
Kim

Matylda
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby Matylda » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 am

M.G. wrote:Would anyone be able to recommend good English language material on Shingon Buddhism? Thanks so much!


shingon japanese esoteric buddhism https://www.amazon.com/Shingon-Japanese ... 0877734437

Kukai: Major Works https://www.amazon.com/Kukai-Major-Works/dp/0231059337

mahavairocana tantra/sutra https://web.archive.org/web/20130210115 ... a_2005.pdf

sutra and tantra in Japanese cannon are written with same character, therefore sometimes you find in translation 'sutra' and in other places 'tantra' but it means the same text..

M.G.
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 am

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby M.G. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Matylda wrote:
M.G. wrote:Would anyone be able to recommend good English language material on Shingon Buddhism? Thanks so much!


shingon japanese esoteric buddhism https://www.amazon.com/Shingon-Japanese ... 0877734437

Kukai: Major Works https://www.amazon.com/Kukai-Major-Works/dp/0231059337

mahavairocana tantra/sutra https://web.archive.org/web/20130210115 ... a_2005.pdf

sutra and tantra in Japanese cannon are written with same character, therefore sometimes you find in translation 'sutra' and in other places 'tantra' but it means the same text..


:thanks:

narhwal90
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby narhwal90 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I bought the 1st of the books listed by matylda, it has quite a lot of material. Though it does present an overview of Shingon history it doesn't go into a lot of the history between Tendai & Shingon which is unfortunate but it does introduce some of the Shingon practice which I very much appreciate learning about.

jake
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby jake » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 am

M.G. wrote:Would anyone be able to recommend good English language material on Shingon Buddhism? Thanks so much!


It is strongly suggested to start with the first 100 pages of Kukai: Major Works and then to switch to Kukai on the Philosophy of Language. Kukai on the Philosophy of Language is available from the publisher (Keio University Press), Amazon Japan or resellers, like me, who import them in bulk and distribute in the US/Europe. I have copies of both books available.

Best,

Jake
“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone."

jake
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby jake » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

narhwal90 wrote:I bought the 1st of the books listed by matylda, it has quite a lot of material. Though it does present an overview of Shingon history it doesn't go into a lot of the history between Tendai & Shingon which is unfortunate but it does introduce some of the Shingon practice which I very much appreciate learning about.


Have you already read the article by Abe, "Saicho and Kukai: A Conflict of Interpretations"?
https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2562

Abstract:
This article reappraises the interaction between Saicho (767-822) and
Kukai (774-835), founders, respectively, of the Japanese Tendai and
Shingon schools of Buddhism. This new appraisal is based on the historical
conditions in which these two men sought to introduce new types of
Buddhism at the close of the age of Nara Buddhism, rather than on the
conventional, idealized characterizations of the two figures as the founding
fathers of their respective schools. What emerges is the unbridgeable difference
between Saicho and Kukai in their interpretive strategies for delineating
the role of esoteric Buddhism (Mikkyd) in establishing a new order in
the early Heian Buddhist community, a difference that presented itself as a
persistent tension that underlay saicho ys alliance with Kukai from the very
outset of their relationship.
“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone."

narhwal90
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 am

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby narhwal90 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Fascinating, thanks! I've not run across that article yet. Saved in my to-be-read folder which is growing faster than I can read it...

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2693
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

M.G. wrote:Would anyone be able to recommend good English language material on Shingon Buddhism? Thanks so much!



Published by BDK:

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/shingon-texts
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man. Only I or someone like me can assess a man.

Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

jake
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby jake » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Published by BDK:

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/shingon-texts


BDK has a lot of really excellent works but I think the Takagi and Dreitlein translations found in Kukai on the Philosophy of Language are much more usable and have superior notations, plus the glossary is a real gem. FWIW
“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone."

Matylda
Posts: 530
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: English Language Material on Shingon?

Postby Matylda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:11 am

jake wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:Published by BDK:

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/shingon-texts


BDK has a lot of really excellent works but I think the Takagi and Dreitlein translations found in Kukai on the Philosophy of Language are much more usable and have superior notations, plus the glossary is a real gem. FWIW


Indeed. BDK has published a few root texts belonging to Shingon tradition or rather texts used by Shingon. However those are root tets and it is difficult to figure out on their basis what Shingon tradition actually is, or how it is practiced. Anyway they are recomended for those who are already engaged in Shingon.


Return to “Shingon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ratna, tktru and 3 guests