Early history of Shingon

tingdzin

Early history of Shingon

Post by tingdzin »

I am interested in knowing about the current state of historical studies on early (Chinese) Shingon. I've read Taiko Yamasaki's book, the "Tantric Buddhism in East Asia" anthology, and Orzech's book on Amoghavajra. Are there any other major works in English or French available? Have Japanese scholars come up with any new insights that could be easily summarized? Any information is appreciated.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Early history of Shingon

Post by Huseng »

The following work is recent (2011) and summarizes all stages of the development of Zhenyan/Shingon in both China and Japan in 1126 pages:

Esoteric Buddhism and the Tantras in East Asia

http://www.brill.com/esoteric-buddhism- ... -east-asia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a lot of papers on Shingon put out by Japanese scholars, but these are seldom available in English unfortunately.
kong zen

Post by kong zen »

tingdzin wrote:I am interested in knowing about the current state of historical studies on early (Chinese) Shingon. I've read Taiko Yamasaki's book, the "Tantric Buddhism in East Asia" anthology, and Orzech's book on Amoghavajra. Are there any other major works in English or French available? Have Japanese scholars come up with any new insights that could be easily summarized? Any information is appreciated.
Japan shingon from China.
Chinese tantra, called Tang Mi again,
Subhakarasimha Amoghavajra, Vajrabodhi,
This is the three big Chinese tantra savants,
Later, the disciple Master handed the secret to the Kobo Daishi,
Tantric was spread to Japan,
If you want to understand the tantric carefully,
It's a long story,
That is about to understand the Chinese Buddhism,
:namaste:
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Thanks Indrajala
But at Brill's ridiculous prices it will be a long while before I can read this book, if ever.

Return to “Shingon”