The beauty of Koyasan

Luke

The beauty of Koyasan

Post by Luke »

I saw this video of Koyasan a long time ago and I was deeply moved by it. Koyasan looks like such a powerful and beautiful place. In a world which is full of suffering, Koyasan is like an island of peace and purity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2FT32A ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what the mantra being chanted in the video is? Is it a real Shingon mantra/chant?

People could also post any other pictures, videos, or first-hand accounts of Koyasan in this thread.
tktru

Re: The beauty of Koyasan

Post by tktru »

Luke wrote:I saw this video of Koyasan a long time ago and I was deeply moved by it. Koyasan looks like such a powerful and beautiful place. In a world which is full of suffering, Koyasan is like an island of peace and purity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2FT32A ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know what the mantra being chanted in the video is? Is it a real Shingon mantra/chant?

People could also post any other pictures, videos, or first-hand accounts of Koyasan in this thread.
It sounds new-agey/Tibetan. Ask the Tibetan Buddhism section :smile:

And yes, Koyasan is a glorious place of refuge, cultivation and reflection. I hope to be able to go there when my training is finished.
Yogicfire

Post by Yogicfire »

A friend of mine was disappointed in Koyasan. He couldn't get past the material while he was there. I suspect that was as much to do with him as with Koyasan.

You do have all the shops, the trinkets, the cards, and everything else, as well as paying for accommodation, etc. I think it can be a bit of a shock to the system if your expectations are so high. I want to go sometime soon, and I am sure that there are some refuges to be found, but it might take some finding.

Thinking back, Kyoto was a disappointment for me because of all the hustle and bustle of the town. With the big tourist spots like Koyasan and Kyoto, you need to focus in on where you want to go, and filter out all the external distractions.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

tktru wrote:
Luke wrote: Does anyone know what the mantra being chanted in the video is? Is it a real Shingon mantra/chant?
It sounds new-agey/Tibetan. Ask the Tibetan Buddhism section :smile:
It sounds like it could be a kind of shomyo. Just speculating.

EDIT: no.
Last edited by DGA on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Luke wrote: Does anyone know what the mantra being chanted in the video is?
OM AH HUNG VAJRA GURU PEDME SIDDHI HUNG

(pronounced OM AH HUNG BENZAR GURU PEDME SIDDHI HUNG)

It is one of the main mantras of Guru Rinpoche, Padmasambhava, the prince from Oddiyana who brought tantric Buddhism to Tibet. I have this music on one of my CD's and it is sung by a lama. It is not clear at first what is being sung but I have heard it previously for many hours as I used to play that CD a lot and I played it for my cats as they entered their final stages of life.
Is it a real Shingon mantra/chant?
It's a Tibetan Buddhist mantra.

Kirt Undercoffer
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Luke

Post by Luke »

[quote="kirtu"]
OM AH HUNG VAJRA GURU PEDME SIDDHI HUNG

...I have this music on one of my CD's and it is sung by a lama.
[quote]
Thanks, Kirtu. No wonder I liked it so much! hehe.

But this still leaves me curious as to what real Shingon mantras and chants sound like.
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

Luke wrote:But this still leaves me curious as to what real Shingon mantras and chants sound like.
Take this for example:
phpBB [video]

It's from Shingonshū Buzanha and not Koyasan Shingonshū. The chanting is Yakushi Nyorais Mantra (skt. Bhaisajyaguru) "On koro koro sendari matōgi sowaka".
Last edited by User 3495 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enjitsu

Post by enjitsu »

Tatsuo wrote:
Luke wrote:But this still leaves me curious as to what real Shingon mantras and chants sound like.
Take this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzZNOj0cVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's from Shingonshū Buzanha and not Koyasan Shingonshū. The chanting is Yakushi Nyorais Mantra (skt. Bhaisajyaguru) "On koro koro sendari matōgi sowaka".
Tatsuo,

It is a violation of the rules of Buddhism to teach mudra's, mantra's, dharani, mikkyo etc., publically, this includes online.

Enjitsu
User 3495

Post by User 3495 »

Not all mantras etc. Look at the page of the Shingon Buddhist International Institute (http://www.shingon.org/ritual/daily.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or at the Book 'Shingon Esoteric Buddhism: A Handbook for Followers', written by Yusei Arai, the Administrative Chief Priest of Koyasan Shingonshu and authorized by Koyasan Shingon Mission. The Mantra "On koro koro sendari matōgi sowaka" in included in both (and obviously publicly chanted. Not to mention, that no monk seemed to care about the camera) :roll:
eijo

Post by eijo »

enjitsu wrote:
Tatsuo wrote:
Take this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzZNOj0cVQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tatsuo,

It is a violation of the rules of Buddhism to teach mudra's, mantra's, dharani, mikkyo etc., publically, this includes online.

Enjitsu
That may be true for some mantras, but not for all. Some are public and published by authoritative entities, as was noted.

Enjitsu, if you feel so strongly about this, why do you have an avatar that publicly posts the single most important Shingon mantra in its mandala?

Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

OK, here goes. Forgive the naïveté, and I don't intend to be offensive, but why the need for secrecy at all? It doesn't seem compatible with the Dharma in its basic form, as taught openly and freely by Shakyamuni Buddha for forty years, and by countless disciples since.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Su DongPo wrote:OK, here goes. Forgive the naïveté, and I don't intend to be offensive, but why the need for secrecy at all? It doesn't seem compatible with the Dharma in its basic form, as taught openly and freely by Shakyamuni Buddha for forty years, and by countless disciples since.

Well, I can think of two reasons:

Pronunciation is important. It is important to receive this from a guru in the language used by the lineage you wish to follow. For example, whilst the example given in the earlier post may be a 'Tibetan' mantra, it is in Sanskrit and may be pronounced very differently from what may be assumed from merely reading it. For example, 'Vajra' is pronounced 'Benza' by Tibetans.

Secondly, without an understanding of the deity and purpose to which the mantra relates, it is not entirely pointless, but almost so. Gurus teach us mantras for a purpose and are able to decide on our readiness to perform the practices associated with them. A mantra may encapsulate a whole sadhana practice, and have associated visualisations etc.

An online source may be incorrect, lack context and offer a practice indiscriminately.
Didn't Buddha discriminate between teaching villagers and his core disciples, in terms of style and content?

A mantra chanted incorrectly but with pure intention is still powerful, but a mantra chanted incorrectly and with no undertsanding of its purpose (and therefore intention) is about as useful as chanting the telephone directory.

Even the simplest of words, 'OM', actually has four sound components 'A' 'U' 'M' 'N' (five if you count the silence between the words). Each of the components has a very precise pronunciation according to the culture and lineage of those teaching it.

Anyway, maybe we should return to the topic. ;)
Left
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

Yeshe wrote: Anyway, maybe we should return to the topic. ;)
Yes, indeed! I began reading the thread because I may visit Koyasan in Feburary or in August of 2011. I am prepared for the "necessary hell realm" of tourism kitsch and am already busy tuning it out --

:meditate:

If I can find affordable temple lodging in the world heritage area, I will try to stay there, but prices appear to be beyond -- sometimes waaaaay beyond -- my academic budget. Hmm, maybe a capsule hotel in Wakayama instead? :thinking:

Will report back as events dictate.
Dodatsu

Post by Dodatsu »

Su DongPo wrote:
Yeshe wrote: Anyway, maybe we should return to the topic. ;)
Yes, indeed! I began reading the thread because I may visit Koyasan in Feburary or in August of 2011. I am prepared for the "necessary hell realm" of tourism kitsch and am already busy tuning it out --

:meditate:

If I can find affordable temple lodging in the world heritage area, I will try to stay there, but prices appear to be beyond -- sometimes waaaaay beyond -- my academic budget. Hmm, maybe a capsule hotel in Wakayama instead? :thinking:

Will report back as events dictate.
Actually Koyasan is good enough for a day-trip from Osaka or even Kyoto so unless you are really willing to spend for a night's accommodation, a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto using the "Kansai Thru Pass" http://www.surutto.com/conts/ticket/3dayeng/index.html should be more than suffice.
Contemplating the power of Tathagata's Primal Vow,
One sees that no foolish being who encounters it passes by in vain.
When a person single-heartedly practices the saying of the Name alone,
It brings quickly to fullness and perfection [in that person] the great treasure ocean of true and real virtues.
- Shinran Shonin
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

Interesting. I have never been to Osaka or Koyasan, so a couple of days with the transit pass might be just the thing. Plus I have homies in Kyoto I must visit, so maybe I'll do a circuit. I know summer is hot and humid, but I live on a tropical island a few hours south so I can bear it, I think.
Luke

Post by Luke »

It would be a nice project for anybody who is enthusiastic about Shingon to create a nice video of images of Koyasan set to some authentic Shingon chants (unlike the video in my OP which has Tibetan music). I searched for such videos of Koyasan on Youtube, but haven't found any yet.

Best wishes to all Shingon Buddhists! :namaste:

Return to “Shingon”