Shingon Ordination OUTSIDE Japan...?

Acala

Shingon Ordination OUTSIDE Japan...?

Post by Acala »

A bit related to the thread I see here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13698

I know some splinter groups have been giving denbo kanjo outside of Japan..but they either do it secretly (I know one group who I am pretty sure does) to keep their official status as a "branch temple/mission" with Japan, and others who have totally broken away and formed their own lineage (see http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... an#p271177)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any others?

I know in the first thread above, Eijo said he has the credentials to do so...but does he? I have heard that is the eventual intention.

What about in Hawaii...that broke off? Anyone know?

(I dunno if Eijo ever comes here any more)
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Shingon Ordination OUTSIDE Japan...?

Post by Seishin »

I can drop him an email to ask. He rarely posts here any more.
Acala

Post by Acala »

That would be extremely appreciated! Yes, I would love to know if his intention is to eventually ordain Shingon priests outside of Japan...or if he already has been.
eijo

Post by eijo »

First, the terminology here is wrong. Ordination is the first thing a priest receives, and is tokudo 得度 in Japanese. It is the tonsure, signifying entry into the Buddhist order. This can be given by any registered temple in Koyasan Shingon-shu.

What seems to be under discussion here is the full Dharma transmission, or in Japanese Denbō kanjō 傳法灌頂. This can only be given after Shido kegyō and so on is completed. In Koyasan shingon-shu this can only be given by a person who has received Gakushu kanjō 學修灌頂. A person who receives this is called a Dentō Dai-ajari 傳燈大阿闍梨. I have received this, which is the "credential" alluded to. If Denbō kanjō is given by anyone else, that Denbō kanjō is not recognized in Koyasan Shingon-shu.

There are certainly ordinations (tokudo) going on outside of Japan in Koyasan Shingon-shu. At present, Denbō kanjō has never been given outside of Japan in Koyasan Shingon-shu. I don't know if there are any groups of other affiliation giving Denbō kanjō. If you are talking about a Shingon temple related to another head temple in Japan, or an independent temple, then you would have to inquire with them.
Acala

Post by Acala »

Thank you for the reply and clarification!

Another question: since you are a Maha Acarya...do you plan on giving full dharma transmission, outside of Japan, in the future?

If not, why?
If so, why?

:thanks:

Return to “Shingon”