Shingon daily practice

Matylda

Re: Shingon daily practice

Post by Matylda » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Druniel wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 pm
Matylda wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:08 pm
Phyllobius wrote:I don't know if there's an "official nenbutsu practice" in Shingon, but the feeling that i gather from frequenting my teacher is that the Shingon worldview is compatible with many many forms of buddhists practices. Until the Edo period there wrerent intersectarian barriers. I've read here: http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/111511 that Zen monks came on Kôyasan to practice with Shingon monks. I wonder if informally this happens nowadays.
Yes of course... there are some monks who did it and do it still today. I knew at least a few of them, young and old. But it is worth to mention that it worked also other way round. There were some shingon and tendai monks who went to zen masters and some became zen masters themsleves. Most famous in Japan would be probably Jiun Sonja, who attained satori under soto master Daibai. Jiun sonja influenced very much Sawaki Kodo and making nyoho-e kesa or kashaya, a Buddha's robe which got some popularity among soto zen monks. So there is also a material evidence of his and shingon influence within soto. Some soto monks buy and wear directly shingon nyoho-e today But also during times of Keizan zenji there were many shingon monks who practice zen. So within zen, both soto and rinzai are some shingon practices which were imported by them to zen monasteries. It happned already at the very beginning of zen tradition in Japan.
HI Matylda,

is there any rilevant difference between Shingon Nyoho-e and the Soto Zen one ? I mean the size, the way to wear it, colours.
Thank you
Dan
I guess it is almost the same.. in fact soto kesa was same as rinzai untill mid 19th century. One of the Eiheiji abbots abolished the use of KAN in the kesa. rinzai keeps it of course. Soto rakusu also changed, before it was bigger and longer, again same as rinzai, now it is short and smaller. So originally soto and rinzai shared the same robes

As for nyoho-e kesa in soto in fact it is shingon one. Sawaki Kodo roshi was big fan of shingon's Jiun Sonja, who actually wrote about different patterns of nyoho-e in shingon. Sawaki roshi adopted this kesa teachings, and strongly propagated

Druniel

Re: Shingon daily practice

Post by Druniel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 pm

hi and thanks. Sorry for this delay.
What are the Kan that you mentioned about Rinzai Kesa?

Thks Dan

Return to “Shingon”