how to use the 'counting mini-beads' on Juzu

lostgypsy

how to use the 'counting mini-beads' on Juzu

Post by lostgypsy »

Hi and Aloha,

Our temple uses the traditional Shingon Juzu rosery, with two short strands, each with five beads, called jomyo, suspended below the two 'parent' or Boshu beads. From what I understand, these work similar to the 10s and 100s counter beads on an abacus. So, after doing one round of 108 bead count', slide one tiny bead up (there is space on the cord just for this purpose; also, the beads fit 'tight' so they stay in place), and so on.

Also, if I am on the right track, is there a particular 'holding style' or traditional method? Would really like some input.
eijo

Re: how to use the 'counting mini-beads' on Juzu

Post by eijo »

That's more or less right, but of course there are many detailed teachings about how to use the nenju (what you called a juzu) in Shingon, its significances, and so on. However, since you're probably asking about Shinnyo-en, the Shingon response is not what you want, and I wouldn't be able to give it to you online anyway. You need to learn this in person. The best solution is for you to just ask whoever is teaching you at the Shinnyo-en temple.

Return to “Shingon”