Shingon fire ritual

BuddhistPeasant

Shingon fire ritual

Post by BuddhistPeasant » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Do you know where I can find a description of the Shingon fire ritual and the meaning of the gestures? Something like a detailed explanation. I saw many videos on youtube with lay people in attendance and so I suppose its not something secret. I am curious of all the meanings involved in the fire ceremony.

Mr. G

Re: Shingon fire ritual

Post by Mr. G » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Richard K. Payne wrote a nice book called 'Tantric Ritual of Japan; Feeding the Gods--The Shingon Fire Ritual'
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

BuddhistPeasant

Post by BuddhistPeasant » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:02 pm

Thank you! I will check that book!

BuddhistPeasant

Post by BuddhistPeasant » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm

does anybody else have any suggestions or can contribute with something to this topic? Perhaps somebody who attended such fire ceremonies or who listened to some explanations

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:41 pm

BuddhistPeasant wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm
I suppose its not something secret
The rituals themselves are performed in public, but I imagine the meanings of the gestures etc. are esoteric/secret.
子念昔貧,志意下劣,今於父所,大獲珍寶,并及舍宅、一切財物。甚大歡喜,得未曾有。
The son thought of past poverty, outlook humble, now having from father a treasure harvest, also father's house, all his wealth. Great joy - to have what was never before had.

Τῆς πατρῴας, δόξης σου, ἀποσκιρτήσας ἀφρόνως, ἐν κακοῖς ἐσκόρπισα, ὅν μοι παρέδωκας πλοῦτον· ὅθεν σοι τὴν τοῦ Ἀσώτου, φωνὴν κραυγάζω· Ἥμαρτον ἐνώπιόν σου Πάτερ οἰκτίρμον, δέξαι με μετανοοῦντα, καὶ ποίησόν με, ὡς ἕνα τῶν μισθίων σου.
Your fatherly due I withheld unthinking, in evil I wasted your wealth; a prodigal cries, "I've erred, father, receive the repentant as serf."

妙法蓮華經 Κοντάκιον τοῦ Ἀσώτου