Shingon fire ritual

BuddhistPeasant

Shingon fire ritual

Post by BuddhistPeasant »

Do you know where I can find a description of the Shingon fire ritual and the meaning of the gestures? Something like a detailed explanation. I saw many videos on youtube with lay people in attendance and so I suppose its not something secret. I am curious of all the meanings involved in the fire ceremony.
Mr. G

Re: Shingon fire ritual

Post by Mr. G »

Richard K. Payne wrote a nice book called 'Tantric Ritual of Japan; Feeding the Gods--The Shingon Fire Ritual'
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
BuddhistPeasant

Thank you! I will check that book!
BuddhistPeasant

does anybody else have any suggestions or can contribute with something to this topic? Perhaps somebody who attended such fire ceremonies or who listened to some explanations
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

BuddhistPeasant wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm I suppose its not something secret
The rituals themselves are performed in public, but I imagine the meanings of the gestures etc. are esoteric/secret.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

BuddhistPeasant wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm does anybody else have any suggestions or can contribute with something to this topic? Perhaps somebody who attended such fire ceremonies or who listened to some explanations
I attended one at Koyasan in January and I saw one here in Taiwan last month at Wuzhishan (Taiwanese Shingon). I can say that Payne's book is pretty much all you need to understand what's going on.

The meaning of the gestures, etc., are all explained in Payne's book. They're only esoteric in that you need initiation to perform them.

Perhaps if there are some more specific questions they can be addressed, but the information is quite detailed so you need to do some reading: a message board post can't satisfy this matter.
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Zhen Li wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 am ... I attended one at Koyasan in January and I saw one here in Taiwan last month at Wuzhishan (Taiwanese Shingon). I can say that Payne's book is pretty much all you need to understand what's going on. ...
If only it would be that easy! :shrug:
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

WuMing wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am
Zhen Li wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 am ... I attended one at Koyasan in January and I saw one here in Taiwan last month at Wuzhishan (Taiwanese Shingon). I can say that Payne's book is pretty much all you need to understand what's going on. ...
If only it would be that easy! :shrug:
Saso's book on Tendai Goma was also helpful and you can switch the order of a few things around for the Shingon case. Of course there are some secret mantras that are mentioned but not disclosed, but from the conceptual point of view, I think it is not too hard to understand. To truly master the practice is another question.

There's also a lot of resources on Hindu homa and Nepalese Buddhist homa. I am sure there must be stuff on Tibetan homa but it's just not my area of study.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

There is a book from vajra publications called "Buddhist Fire Ritual in Japan" which is basically a manual on how to do it yourself. It includes photos step by step and all of the mantras and mudras.

Then you can buy all the ritual utensils from rakuten and start out.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?h ... butsudanya

Good luck! :stirthepot:
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

By the way. Always consult a teacher before attempting these things. It could be dangerous not to do so.

Not to make anyone play around on their own..
tktru

Post by tktru »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm By the way. Always consult a teacher before attempting these things. It could be dangerous not to do so.

Not to make anyone play around on their own..
I can’t tell whether your last post was meant to be in jest, but I’ll just point out that in Shingon, without the proper abhiseka and instruction from an authorized acharya, by attempting to perform the ritual yourself, even if you had all the items at your disposal, would be fruitless, and yes dangerous. Keep in mind that any manuals that are floating online won’t always contain the correct mantras or mudra formations, and if so the instructions will sometimes be intentionally corrupted, these parts are left to the teacher to point out the mistakes. And as Rev. Eijo pointed out many times before, that without having been ordained, and having gone through the fourfold preliminary training, and finally receiving abhiseka, you can’t perform these rituals.
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

I wouldn't try it at home! It is important to point out. Lot's of shitty ninjutsu flirts with vajrayana and that's basicly broscience land. I'm off that one for sure.
Druniel

Post by Druniel »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm There is a book from vajra publications called "Buddhist Fire Ritual in Japan" which is basically a manual on how to do it yourself. It includes photos step by step and all of the mantras and mudras.

Then you can buy all the ritual utensils from rakuten and start out.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?h ... butsudanya

Good luck! :stirthepot:
Hi,

I went at that page but it say there's nothing there. Could you please, let me know where else did you get ritual instruments ?
Thanks a lot!
Dan
Druniel

Post by Druniel »

Hi crazy-man,

Thank you a lot! I just saw this replay of yours today.

Dan

Return to “Shingon”