Shingon Initiation - Japan

AugustusRex

Shingon Initiation - Japan

Post by AugustusRex »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum: I'll be active and I'm glad to participate here.

I've been practicing for the last 3 years, I've received several transmissions in a Sakya-pa context.

Do you know if by any chance I could meet a teacher / master to receive a transmission in Japan? I'm going to be in Tokyo 21 days (20th January to 10 February 2018), and It would be really nice to receive the two mandalas.

Thank you all.

Sarva Mangalam.
crazy-man

Re: Shingon Initiation - Japan

Post by crazy-man »

In general, Shingon is not as accessible to Westerners as Tibetan Buddhism is. To fully train in the Shingon school, one would have to at the minimum become fluent in Japanese and spend years closely training under the guidance of a Shingon priest who holds the teaching lineage that has been passed down unbroken from Kobo Daishi.

At a more basic and symbolic level, however, any member of the general public can come to take part in the entry-level initiation ceremony (Kanjō 灌頂) for one of the two mandalas which are held twice a year. The initiation into the Womb Realm is held annually on May 3-5, and the Diamond Realm initiation takes place October 1-3. The cost to join the ceremony is currently ¥3,000 and you may join on any one of the three days.
http://siamandbeyond.com/joining-an-eso ... ount-koya/
Presently in Koyasan, the esoteric initiation ritual are conducted for all people annually; May 3rd to 5th for the Womb Realm, and October 1st to 3rd for the Diamond Realm. We wish and pray that more people will participate in these ceremonies in order to experience the precious karmic bonds with a Buddha and to live a generous and joyful life, day after day.
< Spring >
On May 3rd from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
On May 4th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
On May 5th from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

< Autumn >
On October 1st and 2nd from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
On October 3rd from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Initiation Participation fee: ¥3,000 [ (spring / autumn) Per Initiation.]
Objects to Bring: Not necessary, but if you have, please bring a Buddhist surplice and rosary.
http://eng.shukubo.net/experiences.html

Initiation in Shingon
https://www.lionsroar.com/burning-with- ... f-shingon/
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I may be wrong, but I believe the public kanjo initiations do not come with any teachings. If you're looking for instruction in practice it will be difficult to get this in Japan.
AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

crazy-man wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 am
In general, Shingon is not as accessible to Westerners as Tibetan Buddhism is. To fully train in the Shingon school, one would have to at the minimum become fluent in Japanese and spend years closely training under the guidance of a Shingon priest who holds the teaching lineage that has been passed down unbroken from Kobo Daishi.

At a more basic and symbolic level, however, any member of the general public can come to take part in the entry-level initiation ceremony (Kanjō 灌頂) for one of the two mandalas which are held twice a year. The initiation into the Womb Realm is held annually on May 3-5, and the Diamond Realm initiation takes place October 1-3. The cost to join the ceremony is currently ¥3,000 and you may join on any one of the three days.
http://siamandbeyond.com/joining-an-eso ... ount-koya/
Presently in Koyasan, the esoteric initiation ritual are conducted for all people annually; May 3rd to 5th for the Womb Realm, and October 1st to 3rd for the Diamond Realm. We wish and pray that more people will participate in these ceremonies in order to experience the precious karmic bonds with a Buddha and to live a generous and joyful life, day after day.
< Spring >
On May 3rd from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
On May 4th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
On May 5th from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

< Autumn >
On October 1st and 2nd from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
On October 3rd from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Initiation Participation fee: ¥3,000 [ (spring / autumn) Per Initiation.]
Objects to Bring: Not necessary, but if you have, please bring a Buddhist surplice and rosary.
http://eng.shukubo.net/experiences.html

Initiation in Shingon
https://www.lionsroar.com/burning-with- ... f-shingon/
That's a very complete answer dear friend. Thank you. I'll read the links.
AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Seishin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am I may be wrong, but I believe the public kanjo initiations do not come with any teachings. If you're looking for instruction in practice it will be difficult to get this in Japan.
I knew that its hard and that they are not very kind with non-japanese when it comes to religious matters. Luckely I have a translator at my side at all times while in japan.

I'll comment and share some pictures once I'm back from the trip. I've spoke with a teacher of another branch and he told me that, sadly, most of the temples are not working as such and are just tourist sites.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

AugustusRex wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm I knew that its hard and that they are not very kind with non-japanese when it comes to religious matters. Luckely I have a translator at my side at all times while in japan.

I'll comment and share some pictures once I'm back from the trip. I've spoke with a teacher of another branch and he told me that, sadly, most of the temples are not working as such and are just tourist sites.
In all my visits to Mt. Koya, I've never found anyone to be unkind. Further, I don't know who you spoke to (the "teacher of another branch" ?) but all the temples on Mt. Koya are fully operational. Pilgrims or visitors can stay in some of the temples and Mt. Koya certainly receives a number of tourists but it certainly is not a "tourist site."

From what I have gathered, if you are skilled in the Japanese language, then you can apply to Koyasan University and, after being accepted, begin formal training in Koyasan Shingon-shu. As I understand, it is only difficult to get training in Japan if you don't speak Japanese. Or if, as in the OP, you're only in Japan for a few weeks and expect to receive esoteric teachings in the Mandala practices. This, I'm sure, simply isn't possible in Shingon. Perhaps it is in Tibetan traditions?

I hope you really enjoy your time. I've never visited Tokyo, only Kyoto, Osaka and Mt. Koya. Perhaps during your next visit you can travel south to Mt. Koya.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

AugustusRex wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 pm Hello all,

I'm new to the forum: I'll be active and I'm glad to participate here.

I've been practicing for the last 3 years, I've received several transmissions in a Sakya-pa context.

Do you know if by any chance I could meet a teacher / master to receive a transmission in Japan? I'm going to be in Tokyo 21 days (20th January to 10 February 2018), and It would be really nice to receive the two mandalas.

Thank you all.

Sarva Mangalam.
Actually, some temples in Japan offer temples stay and training to the laity. In some temples you can receive instructions on basic Shingon practices like Ajikan, Otsutome with mantras and sutras, sutra copying and maybe you can get to know some teacher personally who can recommend you some practices! Ekoin Temple is one of such temples http://www.ekoin.jp/en/stay/index.html

About this kind of experience :http://www.chasingtheunknown.com/monks- ... s-koyasan/

The two mandala initiations are given to the public but on specific days two times in the year. Usually, no practice is given, this kind of empowerment is intended to create a karmic link to the Buddhas and Mandalas. If you want to receive full-fledged Abhisheka in Shingon, you must ordain and trains as a monk for at least 100 days, or years! There is a date where Jukai precepts are given to the laity as well
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Return to “Shingon”