Is Eido Tai Shimano's lineage legitimate?

Matylda

Re: Is Eido Tai Shimano's lineage legitimate?

Post by Matylda »

shel wrote: There's over four decades worth of documentation, from various witnesses. It would be idiotic to discount that evidence and see for myself.

However, even his harshest critics say he's the real McCoy as far as realization and teaching Zen. To me, that only speaks to what realization and Zen means today, which is to say that it is rather meaningless.
4 decades and never jailed? Perfect! sounds as if the USA is a lawless country. As for zen being meaningless, well your posts show it clearly, then why are you so concerned? Specially if you keep theravada view? If so all zen right from its beginning should be meaningless for you.
shel

Post by shel »

Matylda wrote:
shel wrote: There's over four decades worth of documentation, from various witnesses. It would be idiotic to discount that evidence and see for myself.

However, even his harshest critics say he's the real McCoy as far as realization and teaching Zen. To me, that only speaks to what realization and Zen means today, which is to say that it is rather meaningless.
4 decades and never jailed? Perfect! sounds as if the USA is a lawless country. As for zen being meaningless, well your posts show it clearly, then why are you so concerned? Specially if you keep theravada view? If so all zen right from its beginning should be meaningless for you.
I don't dictate what realization and Zen means, Matylda, no one person does. It means whatever those who call themselves Zen Buddhists decide, and if they decide that a demon from hell can show the path to liberation and enlightenment, well, that means something.
shel

Post by shel »

Matylda wrote:sounds as if the USA is a lawless country.
Have you heard of the OJ Simpson trial? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is law in this country, but it's expensive.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Since the discussion is beyond the original topic, it is now closed.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Zen”