Bankei's "method" of abiding in the unborn

Matt J

Re: Bankei's "method" of abiding in the unborn

Post by Matt J » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't how it is for you, but this is definitely not how it is for me. For me, thoughts, feelings, etc. appear fully formed, sometimes in succession. For instance, if some says something I don't like, I don't think, "Well, I am this body-mind..." and so on. Those thought processes, if any, happen off-line. In fact, because they happen off-line, I'm not sure we can say they happen at all, except via inference.
Astus wrote: Anger, anxiety, fear, lust, etc. don't arise spontaneously, we give rise to them by first identifying with our thoughts and making judgements about things being attractive, repulsive or uninteresting, then again holding the emotion generated by our thoughts thus eventually giving rise to action. When it seems that emotions or actions appear by themselves it is the case that we don't recognise our thought processes, which is ignorance, unawareness. That's why abiding in the unborn means that no ideas and impulses take over the control.
The Great Way is not difficult
If only there is no picking or choosing
--- Xin Xin Ming

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Matt,

Whatever appears, see that it is something born, not your real nature, and let it return to the unborn, let it dissolve on its own. You have to maintain grasping at an emotion or thought to make it stay, and grasping happens because you regard it as your real nature.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Andreas2465

Post by Andreas2465 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Alex

Your question was: "How to abide in the unborn?" Why would you like to abide in the unborn? There must be a reason for that - what is it? Are you afraid of something? Would you like to achieve something? Do you feel guilty? Would you like to be a better person? Whatever the reason: It is based on a wrong assumption, namely that you are or have something. How is possible to neutralize acid? Add lye - and the acid will be neutralized. There is no way for acid to "dwell in neutralization". Neither is it for your assumptions. The teaching of Bankei is for your wrong assumptions like the lye for the acid - one depends on the other. So, instead of trying a method, try to understand: Unborn means not perceivable. The mind is knowing, it is alive, but it has no characteristics at all - it is unborn. Why? Because mind is not a thing, it is not an object, it is knowing. Knowing is something which happens, knowing takes place - now and only now. Now is knowing. Knowing cannot be perceived, because there are not two "knowings" - knowing is not an object, not a thing, knowing happens. Can you see knowing? Can seeing see the seeing? Can you hear knowing? Can hearing hear the hearing? No - but nevertheless there is knowing - right now. Just stay with what is known right now and you abide in the unborn. Never try to perceive the unborn - there is no way! That would be like trying to see your own eyes. Please study Bankei again and see if these words unlock his teaching. Take care! May you be well!

Andreas2465

Post by Andreas2465 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 am

Alex

Just let me add a short note. In order to understand "there is only knowing" and the nature of knowing, ask yourself: What is the body - the perceiver or the perceived?

Take care!

Andreas