Zen Forum International status

el gatito

Re: Zen Forum International status

Post by el gatito »

pokii wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm 1. if the host of zfi is payed, do they zfi open again? michael was last years "owner", maybe he could clear things up, is it a mater of money?
To open again "as it was exactly" is not a matter of money, but a matter of finding a technician -- who at the same time would be either a very close friend of the owners of ZFI or a person whom they would 100% trust to perform technical job on a database server. Who would accept all risks related to a possible data loss, and responsibilities related to working with sensitive private data.

To open again as an empty and fresh site would require acquiring the server by a person whom the owners would again 100% trust -- either to develop it according to their original intention, or redesign it as per the new owners best abilities.

This is my understanding. Hopefully, this is clear.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

As I said before I think a brand new Zen Forum would be great, but someone has to take responsibility for it. My feeling is that El G would be happy to contribute his technical know-how, but not be responsible for the overall Admin. Fair enough. Unfortunately having moved countries recently, doing full-time studies and learning the language means I can't volunteer, even if anyone wanted me to do it. Maybe Anders/Astus being reliable old hands at this (or a new person) would? I'd certainly give my vote for either of the A's. It would be worth it if it could be supported to become a vibrant international Forum with focused spaces, IMO.

_/|\_
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Lindama wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm Thank you for your efforts el G.... seems it takes a village as I hear you describe the situation. and, thanks to Anjali who has extended a helping hand.

at this point, there is DW. I"m holding warm thoughts and blessings for the owners.

:namaste:
linda
A thank you to el g is definitely in order for his efforts and knowledgeable contributions.

You guys have experienced the digital version of a devastating hurricane or other natural disaster. For me, it's a privilege to help you guys as you find ways to rebuild community and home. :bow:

I'll continue to post what comes my way about ZFI, and if any of you learn more, please let the community know. As we move forward, if there is anything you would like to discuss, feel free to contact me, any of the other mods, or board owner. Our PM doors are always open.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
:namaste:
linda
pokii wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm ps: btw Linda, is my signature haiku well remembered, since..well,zfi crashed, lol
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

We have our Zen sections here, which I see are picking up a little. I might be able to host another site, if time permits, to allow a Zen-only forum, if necessary. Are there some advantages of posting in a Zen only forum, rather than something more pan-Dharma like this site? Is it that those from other traditions come over to disturb the Zennies?
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Very kind of you, DNS. Honestly, I don't see enough momentum on the forum for your efforts to bear fruit. I see some who think a new start would clear some of the fluff away... I doubt it. :smile: I had slowed way down on ZFI for my own reasons not related to the forum.

Personally, I think we can all learn a bit with pan-Dharma... come on over. It's lines in the sand to me.

linda
DNS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm We have our Zen sections here, which I see are picking up a little. I might be able to host another site, if time permits, to allow a Zen-only forum, if necessary. Are there some advantages of posting in a Zen only forum, rather than something more pan-Dharma like this site? Is it that those from other traditions come over to disturb the Zennies?
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Lindama wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 pm Very kind of you, DNS. Honestly, I don't see enough momentum on the forum for your efforts to bear fruit. I see some who think a new start would clear some of the fluff away... I doubt it. :smile: I had slowed way down on ZFI for my own reasons not related to the forum.

Personally, I think we can all learn a bit with pan-Dharma... come on over. It's lines in the sand to me.

linda
DNS wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm We have our Zen sections here, which I see are picking up a little. I might be able to host another site, if time permits, to allow a Zen-only forum, if necessary. Are there some advantages of posting in a Zen only forum, rather than something more pan-Dharma like this site? Is it that those from other traditions come over to disturb the Zennies?
I tend to agree with Linda. This seems fine. :thumbsup:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
michaeljc

Post by michaeljc »

Let sleeping dogs, lie I say

Once was the time that I felt the ZFI record should be retained and preserved. Now I feel differently

I have seen the record in depth. It is a salad of good, bad and downright unsavoury, much of which should have been deleted IMO

Yes, there are many gems but I am reminded of the monk who burned 20 years of writing carved into wood to survive a winter. He started over. The second version was better than the first. This, after-all, is a living dynamic practice

Maybe we should encourage Jundo to begin his proposed site. I would look forward to that

Cheers all

M
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

Dan74 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm Unfortunately having moved countries recently, doing full-time studies and learning the language means I can't volunteer, even if anyone wanted me to do it.
Students have lunch breaks (if memory serves). Also, there is night time. Anyways, if there is a will to contribute any fresh ideas -- the link below in the sig. should be good till the end of the year (Lord willing), and also zenspace.tk seems to again work as a pointer to it.
boda

Post by boda »

michaeljc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am I have seen the record in depth. It is a salad of good, bad and downright unsavoury, much of which should have been deleted IMO
My bolding. IMO, this attitude is a major factor in what reduced ZFI to what it settled into being. The desire to present Zen folk as wise and peaceful, rather than show how they actually are, and hide away the unsavory.

We can’t hide the unsavory and we shouldn’t try to. :sage:
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

yup, good point
boda wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm
michaeljc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am I have seen the record in depth. It is a salad of good, bad and downright unsavoury, much of which should have been deleted IMO
My bolding. IMO, this attitude is a major factor in what reduced ZFI to what it settled into being. The desire to present Zen folk as wise and peaceful, rather than show how they actually are, and hide away the unsavory.

We can’t hide the unsavory and we shouldn’t try to. :sage:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

michaeljc wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am

Maybe we should encourage Jundo to begin his proposed site. I would look forward to that

https://www.treeleaf.org is Jundo's site.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
bokki

Post by bokki »

1. michaeljc, so nice 2 see u. please stay around.
i agree about zfi, water under the bridge. jundos proposal was not accepted, its over now
2. this, dw, is a great place, and anjali and dns have been very welcoming. even if zfi came back, well, ima mongrel, and ill stay where i like.
3. dan, love is pain, but its roots are deeper.
4. Guo Gu,desert,teresa(partofit), fuki,org, spike!,eunsahn.. so many zennies out there, hmm
where are you now? lol

im just a foolish romantic stray..LOL

but, lets forget zfi and sit
we have our bros in the vajra, i may just learn sumpin bout chod, dw rocks tho
lol, boda, sweet an sour...lol
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

When the first Wheels (DW and D-T W) were getting set up, I wondered why they had to be separate and not under one roof like E-Sangha. Now, having posted here and at D-T W, as well as at ZFI, served on teams, etc, I think that a "separate" space is better and for those folks who find interaction here valuable, by all means post here.

I have no bone to pick with DW whatsoever, but as it stands, it is dominated by Vajra folk, it has the appearance of a Vajra forum and for those newly curious about Zen, they wouldn't see DW as the place to go. For me, yes, absolutely Zen is Mahayana Buddhism, but there are Zennies out there for whom it is not, and a Zen forum should, IMO, also cater for those.

_/|\_
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

The Zen Space board is accessible at: Zen Space, or will be within the next hour.

The domain name is: zen1.space or www.zen1.space

Thanks to all who are helping this project to materialize.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

el G,
does it mean that zfi is not coming back?
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
bokki

Post by bokki »

well, friend
so nice, keep it up, double it up, gobble it up
but
if im gonna b asked 4 passwords,
to try to enter
ooohh so hard, ohhhhhhhhhhh
who do u think i am
?
a thief?
a para shooter?
a ninja out to kill?

frak ur passwords, dw, zfi and all off u
touchy fools
keeping ur flock so safe?
yea dumplings
u need a password to eat?
enter it two times?
LOL
botom
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
bokki

Post by bokki »

and thats not 4 u el g
just a general
frack d password wisdom!
twice at once!
actually
frack it trice at once!
fools
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
bokki

Post by bokki »

i lost my password
if any1 finds it
please kill it
kill it twice, so we can relax
Another log on the fire,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Lindama wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 pm el G,
does it mean that zfi is not coming back?
I think these are two separate issues. ZFI may well come back and those who wish to return, may of course well do so. Zenspace is yet another place. That's all.

Return to “Zen”