New Zen Forum invitation

KeithA

Re: New Zen Forum invitation

Post by KeithA »

Boda wrote:
So why does DW meet the challenge and ZFI fail? Both have/had participants that either don't study/practice Buddhadharma or don't/didn't practice under the guidance of a teacher.
DW has not been successful cultivating the Zen side of things. The only reason we are here is because ZFI tanked. That isn't DW's fault, of course. It's just that Zen folks can be a pain in the ass. :tongue: I am also of the opinion that there isn't a ton of things to talk about, but I know that isn't a popular opinion.

The discussions at Zen Space have been engaging and interesting so far. Meido, Dan and ElGatito have done a great job of herding us Zen cats and have been keeping things on point, while still allowing for some room to roam. The TOS is focused and clear, and if folks don't want to engage under those conditions, that is their choice. We will see where it all goes.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

KeithA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pmDW has not been successful cultivating the Zen side of things.
There seem to be historical reasons for that, going back to the legendary e-sangha and it's demise. All before my time.
KeithA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pmThe only reason we are here is because ZFI tanked. That isn't DW's fault, of course. It's just that Zen folks can be a pain in the ass. :tongue: I am also of the opinion that there isn't a ton of things to talk about, but I know that isn't a popular opinion.
However you (and others) ended up here, I'm glad to see you hanging out at our watering hole. :) Your contributions are appreciated.
KeithA wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pmThe discussions at Zen Space have been engaging and interesting so far. Meido, Dan and ElGatito have done a great job of herding us Zen cats and have been keeping things on point, while still allowing for some room to roam. The TOS is focused and clear, and if folks don't want to engage under those conditions, that is their choice. We will see where it all goes.
Indeed. I wish Zen Space all the best. May Dharma flourish on ZS, DW and any other forums where sincere practitioners gather.
WontonCarter

Post by WontonCarter »

Getting a "The solution you provided was incorrect" notice on the registration page.
“Distinguish units of letters / units of words and phrases / people who foolishly cling to these / are like elephants in a quagmire.” - the Buddha, Lankavatara Sutra

Seon practitioner.
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

WontonCarter wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 pm Getting a "The solution you provided was incorrect" notice on the registration page.
I had the same problem until today. I just registered, so hopefully it's fixed for you too now. Thanks Meido! :-)
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Sorry about the registration issues, folks. I hope you can register now WantonCarter. If not, pleaae let me know.

Thanks are due to El Gatito, our tireless system admin, who's put in many hours to get the forum up and running, addressing all these bugs as they arise.

Also I think it can be useful to discuss potential pitfalls and FWIW, i agree with both Meido and boda - knowledgeable core is necessary, but not sufficient for the success of the Forum. Focus is important, but not blinkers, so I hope all sorts of practitioners and folks who are curious about Zen will feel welcome.

_/|\_
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

PS. So far I am encouraged by the quality and tone of the dialogue. For the sake of content I value both the teachers, solid formal students and creative freewheelers participating, and also hope that many folks with genuine curiosity about Zen look us up and get some sound directions and encouragement. But actually anyone participating with good faith is truly welcome.
boda

Post by boda »

You guys are presenting this invitation with some mixed messages. Dan saying that basically anyone who intends to participate in good faith is welcome, and Meido suggesting that solo practitioners are the scourge of the earth. I exaggerate Meido’s suggestions for effect, of course.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Any forum is going to have spam, trolls, newbies, grief. Mods don’t have an easy job reading and discerning every post. I think a good job is being done here and at Zen Space. Thanks !!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Anders

Post by Anders »

Down for the nonce though. Did something happen?
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

there had been some talk about transferring the whole caboodle to a new server and platform. Maybe they're doing that.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

No idea what happened. I will contact the host and let you know once I know something.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

A reply just came:

Our Support Staff have replied to your ticket # PD-975676
[Reply Time 2018/1/29 4:09:33]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience ,the server is under maintenance and our senior techs are working on the top of it, please kindly wait for some hours, thanks for your co-operation.

Thank you.

You can respond to this ticket by replying to this email OR login and reply
in your hosting control panel - http://www.smarterasp.net
Anders

Post by Anders »

Unannounced maintenance window? Doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Anders wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Unannounced maintenance window? Doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.
They are "on the top of it", didn't you hear the man? ;)

"On the top of" what, I wonder? The window?? Desperately clinging to it, as it swings in the wind?
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Dan74 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm
Anders wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Unannounced maintenance window? Doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.

"On the top of" what, I wonder? The window?? Desperately clinging to it, as it swings in the wind?
I just checked, and the site is still down. Man, you guys just can't catch a break. I've been enjoying listening to a lot of blues lately. With a bit of tongue in cheek, come on over, and let's sing the blues. I'll buy. ;)

If you're (server's ) down and out and you feel real hurt
Come on over to the place where I work (DW)
And all your loneliness I'll try to soothe
I'll play the blues for you.

Joe Bonamassa rendition. :cheers:
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

No no, we are catching one long break ;)

A break from Fora to focus on the real world.

That's where the game's at, I'm told.

It's where the real is real, and the fake is fake.

So come on over here for everyone's sake.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

anjali wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 pm

I just checked, and the site is still down. Man, you guys just can't catch a break. I've been enjoying listening to a lot of blues lately. With a bit of tongue in cheek, come on over, and let's sing the blues. I'll buy. ;)

Funny story: The Korean name for our temple in New Haven, CT is Mu Gak Sa "no enlightenment temple". Haha! Our building is a bit rundown and in need of repairs and as a Sangha, we have had our ups and downs over the years (it was founded in 1975). So we joke about our humble mess of temple. It must be a Zen thing.

So, now we have a "no enlightenment" forum. :twothumbsup:

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

KeithA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 pm
anjali wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Funny story: The Korean name for our temple in New Haven, CT is Mu Gak Sa "no enlightenment temple". Haha! Our building is a bit rundown and in need of repairs and as a Sangha, we have had our ups and downs over the years (it was founded in 1975). So we joke about our humble mess of temple. It must be a Zen thing.

_/|\_
Keith I got a block of PuErh I want you to try in Real Life (RL) PM me
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
fuki

Post by fuki »

KeithA wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 pm

_/|\_
1.jpg
1.jpg (110.39 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
Mushin eats fukasetsu's food but the cat bowl is broken and the stone girl dances to the flute with no holes :jumping:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/
el gatito

Post by el gatito »

Zen Forum Take III --- run by Denko --- https://zenforum.international/

( Zen Space has been thoroughly destroyed by the host, the latest database backup I have locally is as of Saturday, Jan 27. Not sure what to do next, and have no idea when the server is going to be restored. And in what condition. Should be karmic obstacles for Zen Forums. )

Return to “Zen”