Visualizing numbers during breath counting

MattiV

Visualizing numbers during breath counting

Post by MattiV »

Hello,

Yet another newbie question. Often when I'm counting the breath I actually visualize the numbers. E.g. when I mentally say the number 'five', I see the figure of 5 in my mind's eye. Any thoughts? Is it a good or a bad thing or is it just a phase I'm going through? Could it be a form of synesthesia in which a sensation of breath triggers a visual experience? Or is it just the monkey mind playing tricks?

I feel it helps me to concentrate but I also think it's something I eventually must let go of.
Meido

Re: Visualizing numbers during breath counting

Post by Meido »

Your eyes are closed?
MattiV

Post by MattiV »

Meido wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 am Your eyes are closed?
No, half-open.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

MattiV wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:59 am Hello,

Yet another newbie question. Often when I'm counting the breath I actually visualize the numbers. E.g. when I mentally say the number 'five', I see the figure of 5 in my mind's eye. Any thoughts? Is it a good or a bad thing or is it just a phase I'm going through? Could it be a form of synesthesia in which a sensation of breath triggers a visual experience? Or is it just the monkey mind playing tricks?

I feel it helps me to concentrate but I also think it's something I eventually must let go of.
It’s a phase. LOL I went through quite a few phases myself, things I was sure had added significance, which fell away the same way they arose. Counting is a great practice - I just did it here. Eventually you get such attention and focus it’s a bit annoying, but it’s always a great thing to have in your practice.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I find it interesting to note various aspects of the count; senses of quantity & sound for instance. The thought of quantity, similar but not the same as the shape of the digit(s), can be held for the full in & out breath whereas a mental intonation needs to be stretched &/or repeated. I find the aspects are often tightly coupled in the beginning and its possible to separate and drop them as the discursive mind quiets, eventually dropping the count too.
Meido

Post by Meido »

I assume that the instructions you received didn't include doing this visualization of the count.

It's not uncommon for beginners to do so, especially since most people are fixated on the visual sense more than others.

If you are using your eyes properly - that is, an encompassing activation of the peripheral field rather than foveal vision, so that both so-called inner and outer space are permeated with the same awareness - this problem will fall away by itself.

The important thing to grasp through practice is how the count is to be done with the whole body-mind, not just one's mind. The manner in which the breath and body are used are extremely important transmitted details to this end.

~ Meido

Return to “Zen”