Illuminating Quotes by Meido

coffeebeans

Illuminating Quotes by Meido

Post by coffeebeans »

With the idea taken from this thread, I find Meido's posts inspirational and thought it did them a little more justice to capture them here.

Taken from: Pure Land teachings from a Zen perspective
Meido wrote:Honestly, I think you should drop this idea of "dual practice of Chan/Zen and Pure Land." I understand what is meant by it. But if one enters the gate of Zen, any practice can be used, from any tradition, to refine and embody realization; why limit yourself? Failing to enter the gate, no practice can be used in that manner; in that case, fixating on methods and schools is just wasting one's time. Actually, to my mind, Zen is not so usefully thought of as a sect or school, but rather a way to approach Buddhist practice in general.
fuki

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Meido

Post by fuki »

Just a reminder that what Meido said arised depending on conditions, in this case a relation between dharma flower and Meido and hence the words in themselves have function and directionwithin that relationship (also known as emptiness) but not "in itself" Just a reminder that we not grasp and attach to singled out words for that could be poison instead of medicine. Though the quote no doubt can serve anyone to whom might read it, it is however selective and could be taken out of context.

I value Meido wholeheartedly and he's been a guide for years on ZFI and beyond, but these kind of threads can be used by anyone who reads it for mere ego-manifestations in the endless DW cycle of asserting and negating. But again it could also inspire and motivate no doubt!
but that depends.
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

coffeebeans wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am With the idea taken from this thread, I find Meido's posts inspirational and thought it did them a little more justice to capture them here.

Taken from: Pure Land teachings from a Zen perspective
Meido wrote:Honestly, I think you should drop this idea of "dual practice of Chan/Zen and Pure Land." I understand what is meant by it. But if one enters the gate of Zen, any practice can be used, from any tradition, to refine and embody realization; why limit yourself? Failing to enter the gate, no practice can be used in that manner; in that case, fixating on methods and schools is just wasting one's time. Actually, to my mind, Zen is not so usefully thought of as a sect or school, but rather a way to approach Buddhist practice in general.
Thanks for this. I find Meido to be an accessible guide to Zen and it's related subjects..he is always clear and direct and above all, unpretentious. My knowledge of Zen is scanty to say the least, but Meido enables me to get a glimpse of that in Zen which is in common with the tradition that I am most familiar with. Without doubting the sincerity of some Zen students it feels at times as though they are speaking a language known only to themselves in order to signal solidarity with each other. I suspect the same is true of we Vajrayana folk.
Meido does not do that.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
coffeebeans

Post by coffeebeans »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:59 pmMy knowledge of Zen is scanty to say the least, but Meido enables me to get a glimpse of that in Zen which is in common with the tradition that I am most familiar with.
That's it for me too. What little I have come across of his reflections here on DW is, to my mind, simply good Dharma. That's rare to find.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aye.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Drenpa

Post by Drenpa »

I'm all for posting what is illuminating and rejoicing a bit in the dharma from any school or angle. I've felt downright weird with the reaction I've perceived (could be just from my side too) when professing joy and delight in the insight and accomplishment of sisters and brothers in Dharma.

Maybe this is a holdover from my X-tian upbringing where praise, rejoicing etc. are standard fare, sometimes even contrived, and it just doesn't have a place in Dharma circles. But with the seemingly endless negativity in the world, and yes, at times even on DW, I think the danger is far greater those who have developed qualities obvious to all simply disengage due to negativity. Far greater than anyone getting a big head from someone pointing to words and expressions that inspire them.

Flattery and ulterior motives are concrete signs of something else - but surely there is room for heartfelt expression, examination, and appreciation of what is truly praiseworthy. How much more so for western dharma students cum teachers as they seem to be dismissed out of hand by at least some, for not being Asian - Just as certain Asian cultures had a hard time accepting Dharma whose provenance was not traced directly to India.

Something to think about, IMO. While there are truths and utility in the tradition of debate, rationality, and non-coddling of people's delusion "tough love" present in Buddhism, sometimes this simply goes too far and is out of balance. I don't think the little bit of time and space devoted so far to the sentiment behind this thread is the side out of balance here on DW, FWIW.

Return to “Zen”