Information about Bodhisattvas and other Buddhist teachings

Trilobyte

Information about Bodhisattvas and other Buddhist teachings

Post by Trilobyte »

I have been attending a zendo for about half a year. I've noticed that we don't really talk about Boddhisatvas, the different realms of rebirth, etc. Instead we just do a long period of sitting meditation, some chanting, and often the person in charge of the zendo will give a lecture. We also do a weekly book study.

Usually the lecture and book study are about concepts that feel very "out there" to me, like the nature of reality, what is the self, nondualism, etc, that I often feel overwhelmed trying to relate to my life as someone who does not have an intensive meditation practice. Boddhisatvas have never been mentioned and some people seem openly skeptical that "supernatural" teachings have any value. Is there a reason we don't learn about these things? Is this common in Zen centers? Is it a North American thing or is it just what Zen is like? How is it different than what people in other Buddhist traditions are doing?

Also, if I did want to learn about them on my own, can you all recommend any resources that are not too confusing to read? I have read some "absolute beginner" material that explains Shakyamuni's life and gives an overview of the things I mentioned, which is the main reason I know about the realm of birth, Boddhisatvas, etc at all. The most detailed book I read was from a Theravada perspective, "What Buddhists Believe" by Sri Dhammanada, but he seems dismissive of Mahayana perspectives.

Thank you for reading.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Information about Boddhisatvas and other Buddhist teachings

Post by kirtu »

Trilobyte wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:53 pm Boddhisatvas have never been mentioned and some people seem openly skeptical that "supernatural" teachings have any value. Is there a reason we don't learn about these things? Is this common in Zen centers? Is it a North American thing or is it just what Zen is like? How is it different than what people in other Buddhist traditions are doing?
It depends on the zendo but pretty much that sounds right. This is not just a North American or Western thing although there are also Japanese zendos that would rarely talk about bodhisattvas (although they should definitely come up occasionally in teisho straight from Zen stories). In Ch'an and Korean Zen they will come up more if only because of these stories. BTW - bodhisattvas don't necessarily have anything to do with "supernatural" teachings although American Protestant Zen has often relegated them to that corner of the zendo.

Zen is about you yourself actualizing your enlightenment. And in North America we don't need any of that old stuff!!! :tongue: Protestanism rules and we don't need mere symbols!!! :tongue:

In some zendos you will find more mention of bodhisattvas though, at least in sutra chanting (the Heart Sutra after all and the Kanzeon Sutra) and then in engagement with the teachings embodied in those sutras at least.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Trilobyte

Post by Trilobyte »

kirtu wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm It depends on the zendo but pretty much that sounds right. This is not just a North American or Western thing although there are also Japanese zendos that would rarely talk about bodhisattvas (although they should definitely come up occasionally in teisho straight from Zen stories). In Ch'an and Korean Zen they will come up more if only because of these stories. BTW - bodhisattvas don't necessarily have anything to do with "supernatural" teachings although American Protestant Zen has often relegated them to that corner of the zendo.

Zen is about you yourself actualizing your enlightenment. And in North America we don't need any of that old stuff!!! :tongue: Protestanism rules and we don't need mere symbols!!! :tongue:

In some zendos you will find more mention of bodhisattvas though, at least in sutra chanting (the Heart Sutra after all and the Kanzeon Sutra) and then in engagement with the teachings embodied in those sutras at least.

Kirt
That's an interesting thought about protestant influence. I was raised as an episcopalian, which I think is the most catholic kind of protestant you can be, but I can see how fear of "idols" could manifest as a cultural assumption that these things obscure truth. And maybe they do obscure truth for some people.

In the dharma talks, my teacher is more likely to bring up Jesus or one of his disciples than a Bodhisatva, but if the goal is to find stories or cultural markers people are already familiar with as a starting point then it makes sense that he would use that for his audience.
That is very thorough, thank you! I espicially appreciate that these already also free resources, given that my finances are tight.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Trilobyte wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 pm In the dharma talks, my teacher is more likely to bring up Jesus or one of his disciples than a Bodhisatva, but if the goal is to find stories or cultural markers people are already familiar with as a starting point then it makes sense that he would use that for his audience.
Perhaps your teacher is influenced by the Catholic Zen "movement" or maybe Joko Beck ?

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Trilobyte

Post by Trilobyte »

kirtu wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 pm
Trilobyte wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 pm In the dharma talks, my teacher is more likely to bring up Jesus or one of his disciples than a Bodhisatva, but if the goal is to find stories or cultural markers people are already familiar with as a starting point then it makes sense that he would use that for his audience.
Perhaps your teacher is influenced by the Catholic Zen "movement" or maybe Joko Beck ?

Kirt
It's possible; however I'm not familiar with Catholic zen or Joko Beck. I do think some of the people who attend the sitting meditation identify as Christian and he wants it to be a welcoming environment for them. Plus being in the US south it's hard to not have some familiarity with Christianity, which makes it a common reference point even for non-Christians.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Information about Bodhisattvas and other Buddhist teachings

Post by kirtu »

Maha Prajña Paramita
Heart Sutra
English translation from the Maezumi Roshi lineage
Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva, doing deep Prajña Paramita,
Clearly saw emptiness of all the five conditions
Thus completely relieving misfortune and pain.
Oh Shariputra, form is no other than emptiness,
Emptiness no other than form;
Form is exactly emptiness, emptiness exactly form.
Sensation, conception, discrimination, awareness are likewise like this.
Oh Shariputra, all Dharmas are forms of emptiness:
Not born, not destroyed; not stained, not pure, without loss, without gain.
So in emptiness there is no form, no sensation, conception, discrimination, awareness.
No eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind; no color, sound, smell, taste, touch, phenomena.
No realm of sight, no realm of consciousness; no ignorance and no end to ignorance,
No old age and death, no end to old age and death,
No suffering, no cause of suffering, no extinguishing,
no path, no wisdom and no gain.
No gain and thus the Bodhisattva lives Prajña Paramita,
With no hindrance in the mind.
No hindrance, therefore no fear.
Far beyond deluded thoughts, this is Nirvana.
All past, present, and future Buddhas live Prajña Paramita
And therefore attain Añutara-Samyak-Sambodhi.
Therefore know Prajña Paramita is the great mantra,
The vivid mantra, the best mantra, the unsurpassable mantra.
It completely clears all pain.
This is the truth not a lie.
So set forth the Prajña Paramita mantra,
Set forth this mantra and say:

Gate Gate Paragate! Parasamgate! Bodhi Svaha!
Prajna Heart Sutra!
The mantra (the last two lines) are usually chanted 3 times)

Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva : a 10th bhumi Bodhisattva, the Bodhisattva of Compassion
Shariputra : one of the three main disciples of Shakyamuni Buddha
Prajña Paramita : the Perfection of Wisdom
Añutara-Samyak-Sambodhi : Complete and Perfect Enlightenment

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Ten Phrase Life Prolonging Kannon Sutra
(Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo, the bell chant)
from Aitken Roshi's lineage
KANZEON!
Devotion to Buddha
At one with the Buddha
Related to all Buddhas in cause and effect.
And to Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
Joyful, pure, eternal being!
Morning mind is Kanzeon
Evening mind is Kanzeon
This very moment arises from Mind
This very moment is not separate from mind.
in Japanese:
kan ze on
na mu butsu
yo butsu u in
yo butsu u en
bup po so en
jo raku ga jo
cho nen kan ze on
bo nen kan ze on
nen nen ju shin ki
nen nen fu ri shin

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Sho Sai Myo Kichijo Dharani
Auspicious Dharani for Averting Calamity
No Mo San Man Da Moto Nan Oha Ra Chi Koto Sha Sono Nan To Ji To En Gya Gya Gya Ki Gya Ki Un Nun Shia Ra Shiu Ra Hara Shiu Ra Hara Shiu Ra Chishu Sa Chishu Sa Chishu Ri Chishu Ri Sowa Ja Sowa Ja Sen Chi Gya Shiri E Somo Ko
Veneration to all Buddhas!
The incomparable Buddha-power that banishes suffering.
Om! The Buddha of reality, wisdom, Nirvana!
Light! Light! Great light! Great light!
With no categories, this mysterious power
Saves all beings; suffering goes, happiness comes!
from San Francisco Zen Meditation
SHO SAI MY KICHIJO DHARANI is an ode to Lakshmi (Japanese: Kichijo-ten), the Hindu [and Buddhist] goddess of light, wisdom and fortune. The word Dharani is from a Sanskrit word that means to hold or maintain and are thought to be a mnemonic device to summarize the meaning of a sutra or series of sutras in Zen. The Sho Sai Myo is traditionally recited three times after the heart sutra to “remove disasters” Translation is not very satisfactory since it is essentially a transliteration of a Chinese transliteration of something that was originally in Sanskrit. The sound of the words becomes the meaning as it does in many chant traditions. A dharani is considered to have magical power or deep meaning. When it is spoken, the evil spirits that are near are prevented form interfering with the effect of the ritual. It is made of invocations to a higher power and exclamations to scare off the evil spirits.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

There are other chants but these three would be found at almost any Zen center in North America.

Also the Kwan Um School of Zen is kind of more chanting based and they have a remarkable chanting liturgy replete with mantras taken from Chinese and Tibetan Buddhism. They tend to mention Bodhisattvas in their liturgy quite a bit.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Kanji

Post by Kanji »

Great thread and information, I'm Zen but also have a fondness for certain Bodhisattvas and mantras which has made me feel a bit odd at times, this makes me feel much better about it. Thank you :D
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote:
kirtu wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:07 am Maha Prajña Paramita
Gate Gate Paragate! Parasamgate! Bodhi Svaha!
Prajna Heart Sutra!
The mantra (the last two lines) are usually chanted 3 times)
What I meant to write is :
Gate Gate Paragate! Parasamgate! Bodhi Svaha! [chanted 3 times]
Prajna Heart Sutra! [chanted 1 time]

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate (one of the main collections of koans)
Case 42. The Girl Comes Out from Meditation
42. The Girl Comes Out from Meditation
In the time of Buddha Shakyamuni, Manjusri went to the assemblage of the Buddhas. When he arrived there, the conference was over and each Buddha had returned to his own Buddha-land. Only one girl was yet unmoved in deep meditation.

Manjusri asked Buddha Shakyamuni how it was possible for this girl to reach this state, one which even he could not attain. "Bring her out from Samadhi and ask her yourself," said the Buddha.

Manjusri walked around the girl three times and snapped his fingers. She still remained in meditation. So by his miracle power he transported her to a high heaven and tried his best to call her, but in vain.

Buddha Shakyamuni said: "Even a hundred thousand Manjusris could not disturb her, but below this place, past twelve hundred million countries, is a Bodhisattva, Mo-myo, seed of delusion. If he comes here, she will awaken."

No sooner had the Buddha spoken than that Bodhisattva sprang up from the earth and bowed and paid homage to the Buddha. Buddha directed him to arouse the girl. The Bodhisattva went in front of the girl and snapped his fingers, and in that instant the girl came out from her deep meditation.

Mumon's comment: Old Shakyamuni set a very poor stage. I want to ask you monks: If Manjusri, who is supposed to have been the teacher of seven Buddhas, could not bring this girl out of meditation, how then could a Bodhisattva who was a mere beginner?

If you understand this intimately, you yourself can enter the great meditation while you are living in the world of delusion.

One could not awaken her, the other could.
Neither are good actors.
One wears the mask of god, one a devil's mask.
Had both failed, the drama still would be a comedy.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 6 : Buddha Twils a Flower
6. Buddha Twirls a Flower
When Buddha was in Grdhrakuta mountain he turned a flower in his fingers and held it before his listeners. Every one was silent. Only Maha-Kashapa smiled at this revelation, although he tried to control the lines of his face.

Buddha said: "I have the eye of the true teaching, the heart of Nirvana, the true aspect of non-form, and the ineffable stride of Dharma. It is not expressed by words, but especially transmitted beyond teaching. This teaching I have given to Maha-Kashapa."

Mumon's comment: Golden-faced Gautama thought he could cheat anyone. He made the good listeners as bad, and sold dog meat under the sign of mutton. And he himself thought it was wonderful. What if all the audience had laughed together? How could he have transmitted the teaching? And again, if Maha-Kashapa had not smiled, how could he have transmitted the teaching? If he says that realization can be transmitted, he is like the city slicker that cheats the country dub, and if he says it cannot be transmitted, why does he approve of Maha-Kashapa?

At the turning of a flower
His disguise was exposed.
No one in heaven or earth can surpass
Maha-Kashapa's wrinkled face.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 22 : Kashapa's Preaching Sign
22. Kashapa's Preaching Sign
Ananda asked Kashapa: "Buddha gave you the golden-woven robe of successorship. What else did he give you?"

Kashapa said: "Ananda."

Ananda answered: "Yes, brother."

Said Kashapa: "Now you can take down my preaching sign and put up your own."

Mumon's comment: If one understands this, he will see the old brotherhood still gathering, but if not, even though he has studied the truth from ages before the Buddhas, he will not attain enlightenment.

The point of the question is dull but the answer is intimate.
How many persons hearing it will open their eyes?
Elder brother calls and younger brother answers,
This spring does not belong to the ordinary season.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 25 : Preaching from the Third Seat
25. Preaching from the Third Seat
In a dream Kyozan went to Maitreya's Pure Land. He recognized himself seated in the third seat in the abode of Maitreya. Someone announced: "Today the one who sits in the third seat will preach."

Kyozan arose and, hitting the gavel, said: "The truth of Mahayana teaching is transcendent, above words and thought. Do you understand?"

Mumon's comment: I want to ask you monks: Did he preach or did he not?

When he opens his mouth he is lost. When he seals his mouth he is lost. If he does not open it, if he does not seal it, he is 108,000 miles from truth.

In the light of day,
Yet in a dream he talks of a dream.
A monster among monsters,
He intended to deceive the whole crowd.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 29 : Not the Wind, Not the Flag
29. Not the Wind, Not the Flag
Two monks were arguing about a flag. One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by. He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving."

Mumon's comment: The sixth patriarch said: "The wind is not moving, the flag is not moving. Mind is moving." What did he mean? If you understand this intimately, you will see the two monks there trying to buy iron and gaining gold. The sixth patriarch could not bear to see those two dull heads, so he made such a bargain.

Wind, flag, mind moves,
The same understanding.
When the mouth opens
All are wrong.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 32 : A Philosopher Asks Buddha
32. A Philosopher Asks Buddha
A philosopher asked Buddha: "Without words, without the wordless, will you tell me truth?"

The Buddha kept silence.

The philosopher bowed and thanked the Buddha, saying: "With your loving kindness I have cleared away my delusions and entered the true path."

After the philosopher had gone, Ananda asked the Buddha what he had attained.

The Buddha replied: "A good horse runs even at the shadow of the whip."

Mumon's comment: Ananda was the disciple of the Buddha. Even so, his opinion did not surpass that of outsiders. I want to ask you monks: How much difference is there between disciples and outsiders?

To tread the sharp edge of a sword,
To run on smooth-frozen ice,
One needs no footsteps to follow.
Walk over the cliffs with hands free.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 38 : An Oak Tree in the Garden
38. An Oak Tree in the Garden
A monk asked Joshu why Bodhidharma came to China.

Joshu said: "An oak tree in the garden."

Mumon's comment: If one sees Joshu's answer clearly, there is no Shakyamuni Buddha before him and no future Buddha after him.

Words cannot describe everything.
The heart's message cannot be delivered in words.
If one receives words literally, he will be lost,
If he tries to explain with words, he will not attain enlightenment in this life.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Gateless Gate, Case 41 : Bodhidharma Pacifies the Mind
41. Bodhidharma Pacifies the Mind
Bodhidharma sits facing the wall. His future successor stands in the snow and presents his severed arm to Bodhidharma. He cries: "My mind is not pacified. Master, pacify my mind."

Bodhidharma says: "If you bring me that mind, I will pacify it for you."

The successor says: "When I search my mind I cannot hold it."

Bodhidharma says: "Then your mind is pacified already."

Mumon's comment: That broken-toothed old Hindu, Bodhidharma, came thousands of miles over the sea from India to China as if he had something wonderful. He is like raising waves without wind. After he remained years in China he had only one disciple and that one lost his arm and was deformed. Alas, ever since he has had brainless disciples.

Why did Bodhidharma come to China?
For years monks have discussed this.
All the troubles that have followed since
Came from that teacher and disciple.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Zen”