Sesshin

NewBu

Sesshin

Post by NewBu » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:47 am

Is there any real need to prepare for sesshin? Or should i just go for it as a beginner? It seems to me like its not something you can really prepare for?

Matylda

Re: Sesshin

Post by Matylda » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm

NewBu wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:47 am
Is there any real need to prepare for sesshin? Or should i just go for it as a beginner? It seems to me like its not something you can really prepare for?
In a way you are right and you do not need any special preparation for sesshin. But generally it is very advicable to keep quiet, stay more alone, with low social profile, parties, meetings etc. are not good idea, or meeting friends and so on. Computers, tv, all sort of entertainment, just anything which stirs emotions, mind and stimulates senses will not help, rather will counter our zazen strength.
The reason is simple. If we jump from everyday activity of the busy world into sesshin schedule, the mind itself will be too much imbalanced, and it will be more difficult to focus on zazen and to go deeper... even reading books is not adviced before sesshin.
Rather to take walk in nature and to keep low profile of personal activity may help to find quick way to samadhi during sesshin.

bokki

Post by bokki » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Mrs Matylda has given great advice.
it it is well to know, that for 3, 5, 7 days you will be facing not only yourself, but many rules, and the questions will multiply.
also, to be honest, you may consider taking care of your legs, as prolonged sitting may bring some pain.
but, be prepared, any sesshin is painful to the body.
other than that, sesshin is one of the foremost ways that zen training has.
i hope you have a fruitful one.
please try hard.
thank you.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 am

NewBu wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:47 am
Just do it.

While there, follow the situation. Get up at the wake bell. Get your bowls at the meal sound. And so on...

It might help to sit on the floor a lot in the time leading up to the retreat, in order to condition the body. It's going to hurt, but there is something to learn there, as well.

Thanks for the hard practice!

_/|\_

Return to “Zen”