Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post Reply
TheWhiteLotus
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by TheWhiteLotus » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm

I currently practice Tibetan Bon Buddhism. But my family is historically Zen, but not so practicing. I am interested studying Zen. I am looking for some lectures. I prefer a course structure or a text (sutra) that is being explained. Any recommendations?

Thanks

User avatar
Aemilius
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by Aemilius » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 am

Zen prefers "direct transmission" over intellectual knowledge. You can listen to or read their Teishos, for ex. http://www.thezensite.com/MainPages/com ... ishos.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

humble.student
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by humble.student » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:39 pm

TheWhiteLotus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I currently practice Tibetan Bon Buddhism. But my family is historically Zen, but not so practicing. I am interested studying Zen. I am looking for some lectures. I prefer a course structure or a text (sutra) that is being explained. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Here: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Sutra-Ex ... 971656126/

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 7600
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by Astus » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm

TheWhiteLotus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I am interested studying Zen. I am looking for some lectures. I prefer a course structure or a text (sutra) that is being explained. Any recommendations?
Please be aware that Chan/Zen is not a specific set of doctrines, nor a unified school, therefore methods and styles can vary from teacher to teacher, and from community to community. Below is a list of possible introductory materials from different sources and with a varying degree of expansiveness.

In the Spirit of Chan
Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners
Prerequisites of the Ch’an Training
The Ch’an Training
Keys to Buddhism
Heart of Zen
What is Ganhwa Seon?
Zen Texts
The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

TheWhiteLotus
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by TheWhiteLotus » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:51 am

Aemilius wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 am
Zen prefers "direct transmission" over intellectual knowledge. You can listen to or read their Teishos, for ex. http://www.thezensite.com/MainPages/com ... ishos.html
Thanks.
humble.student wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:39 pm
TheWhiteLotus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I currently practice Tibetan Bon Buddhism. But my family is historically Zen, but not so practicing. I am interested studying Zen. I am looking for some lectures. I prefer a course structure or a text (sutra) that is being explained. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Here: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Sutra-Ex ... 971656126/
I have this book, I love it. I am looking for audio. But thanks I appreciate the input.
Astus wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:48 pm
TheWhiteLotus wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I am interested studying Zen. I am looking for some lectures. I prefer a course structure or a text (sutra) that is being explained. Any recommendations?
Please be aware that Chan/Zen is not a specific set of doctrines, nor a unified school, therefore methods and styles can vary from teacher to teacher, and from community to community. Below is a list of possible introductory materials from different sources and with a varying degree of expansiveness.

In the Spirit of Chan
Essentials of Practice and Enlightenment for Beginners
Prerequisites of the Ch’an Training
The Ch’an Training
Keys to Buddhism
Heart of Zen
What is Ganhwa Seon?
Zen Texts
The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch
Thanks. A lot of info. I like that fact that Zen is not a unified school. Human beings aren't a monolith. We don't think alike, we don't experience the same things, different cultures, different upbringing, different personality, different past lives, different inclinations, we are complex beings. I like to see things from different perspectives. My main reason for wanting to study Zen, is that I wanted learn directly from sutra of the Buddha. This is one of the things I like about Zen. But I also like Tibetan Buddhism, because their scholars write summarized text, and people study from those text. I like summarized text because it simplifies things. It seems like Tibetan scholars usually study the bulk of sutras.

User avatar
Astus
Former staff member
Posts: 7600
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Location: Budapest

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by Astus » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:10 pm

TheWhiteLotus wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:51 am
My main reason for wanting to study Zen, is that I wanted learn directly from sutra of the Buddha.
If you want to study Mahayana sutras:

BDK Tripitaka
Sutras & Mantras
Buddhist Scriptures in Multiple Languages
Sutra Translation Committee of the US and Canada
Buddhist Texts Translation Society
Lapis Lazuli Texts
Thesaurus Literaturae Buddhicae
Mahayana Buddhist Sutras in English
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.


1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

User avatar
JMGinPDX
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:23 am
Location: PDX, OR, USA

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by JMGinPDX » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:50 pm

My introduction to basic Zen concepts was through podcasts of American Zen teachers. Not exactly what you asked for, but I've found them to be extremely helpful.
Especially podcasts from the following (for me, at least):
Upaya Zen Center
No Rank Zendo
Chobo-Ji
Eiryu-Ji
Zen Mountain Monastery

User avatar
JoaoRodrigues
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by JoaoRodrigues » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:57 pm

The Way of Zen by Alan W. Watts

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 4064
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: Looking for some Chan lectures

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Master Hsuan Hua's Chan Handbook is also in book form:

http://longbeachmonastery.org/the_chan_handbook.pdf
May all seek, find and follow the Path of Bodhicitta.

User avatar
Aemilius
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Looking for some Zen (Chan) lectures

Post by Aemilius » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:36 pm

You can listen to the teachings available at Upaya Zen Center podcasts https://www.upaya.org/dharmatalks/, lots of well known zen teachers.

There are many audio Teishos given by Kankan Roshi in the Cold Mountain Zen Center page http://coldmountainzen.org/teishos-talks/.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Post Reply

Return to “Zen”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JoaoRodrigues and 19 guests