Notable Zen Masters

mettafuture

Notable Zen Masters

Post by mettafuture »

Aside from your teacher, which Zen masters do you look to most for inspiration?

I often look to Bodhidharma, Rinzai Gigen, and Dogen Zenji.
Huifeng

Re: Notable Zen Masters

Post by Huifeng »

mettafuture wrote:Aside from your teacher, which Zen masters do you look to most for inspiration?

I often look to Bodhidharma, Rinzai Gigen, and Dogen Zenji.
From the standard lineages:
Sakyamuni the Blessed One, the great arahant Bhante Mahakasyapa, Arya Nagarjuna, Arya Vasubandhu, the Fourth Patriarch Daoxin, the Sixth Patriarch Huineng, Chan Master Linji, Chan Master Zongmi, Master Taixu, Old Master Hsu Yun (Xuyun), his disciple Chan Master Hsuan Hua (Xuanhua) and his disciples in turn, Venerable Heng Sure (Hengshi) and Venerable Heng Shou in particular, and my Shifu - Ven Master Hsing Yun (Xingyun).

But I'd also love to at least add Arya Asanga the great Yogin, and Tiantai Zhiyi who is also referred to as a Chan Master, before the "official school" decided to make all these sectarian distinctions.

Number one is still always the Blessed One himself, that greatest of meditators and bestower of the Dharma, the Treasury of True Dharmic Vision.
hungryghost

Post by hungryghost »

nowadays i'm really inspired by Hakuin, Dahui, Ma Tsu, and Ummon
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Lets not forget Huang Po. Blofelds "Zen Teachings of Huang Po" is a classic.
Ride the horse in the direction its going.

~Werner Erhard
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Those not yet mentioned: Yongming, Jinul, Bankei and Daehaeng. They're all fun to read.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

The late Venerable Master Sheng Yen.

Recently I've been reading some of his works. He was a top notch scholar and at the same time a wise, innovative and strong leader.

You can read one of his books for free here:

http://www.shengyen.org.tw/big5/book/orthodox.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish I had had the chance to meet him before he passed away.
ChangYuan

Post by ChangYuan »

Huseng wrote:The late Venerable Master Sheng Yen.

Recently I've been reading some of his works. He was a top notch scholar and at the same time a wise, innovative and strong leader.

You can read one of his books for free here:

http://www.shengyen.org.tw/big5/book/orthodox.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish I had had the chance to meet him before he passed away.
Not to derail the thread, but the center I attend in flushing is part of his DDM school, and a few years ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend a talk on his very last visit to the united states. The man had a palpable calming presence that you felt as soon as he went by. That may very well have been the most powerful experience of my life, it was that incredible.
_/\_ Amituofo

The Inept Buddhist
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

ChangYuan wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but the center I attend in flushing is part of his DDM school, and a few years ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend a talk on his very last visit to the united states. The man had a palpable calming presence that you felt as soon as he went by. That may very well have been the most powerful experience of my life, it was that incredible.
Unfortunately I was never able to meet Master Sheng Yen. However, I've had the pleasure to visit DDM HQ in Northern Taiwan. I also visited the grass area where they spread his ashes. He asked that no stupa or special memorial be built as a grave. They just spread his ashes on the earth and that was the end of it.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Here is the grass area where Master Sheng Yen's ashes were put:

Return to “Zen”