Excellent Chod Drum for Sale

Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Excellent Chod Drum for Sale

Post by Reibeam »

Dear Dharmawheelers and Chod practitioners,

Recently, I became aware of someone selling a chod drum and bell on ebay. I just bought the nine prong five metal bell they had for sale, but the drum still remains. Any interested chod practitioner should consider this drum as it would be better used by a practitioner than in the hands of some collector of tibetan novelties who plays it during christmas to entertain house guests

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281577712266?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

As it says in the listing the drum they have for sale was originally purchased from Tara Mandala. The chod drums Tara Mandala has for sale are authentic and hand picked by a true practitioner and some of the best in the world. My wife I have chod drums from them and they are exquisite.

This drum that is for sale is at a very reduced price from its original purchase price.

I told the seller i would post on here in hopes the drum went from one chodpa to another.

Blessings,

R
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Re: Excellent Chod Drum for Sale

Post by Reibeam »

Looks like someone got it today. Congrats if it was someone here.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Just out of curiosity, how can you distinguish an exellent drum from one of low quality?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Ayu wrote:Just out of curiosity, how can you distinguish an exellent drum from one of low quality?
The craftsmanship, symmetry, the wood used, the quality of the other materials, -- including the conch shell and fabrics of the tail, then, most notably the sound when you beat it. . . but also it is important to know the maker, and if the mantric calligraphy was done by hand, or simply photocopied, etc. Also ideal if the mantras are those of your specific Chod lineage. . there will be variations if it is a specific terma you practice, or not. . and it best if the lettering is painted in actual gold paint throughout the inside of the drum. Of course it is hard to know this outside of what you are told, since the mantras are inside the drum and cannot be seen once stretched. So you should trust the maker or the dealer.

If it is a used or antique drum then there is always the concern (as with every ritual instrument or implement) if it was previously used by someone who kept pure samaya. If not, then this can create obstacles for your practice. So unless you have an omniscient Lama to ask to check it out, it is best to stick to new ritual objects. . and get them blessed by your Lama once you acquire them.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Adamantine wrote:
Ayu wrote:Just out of curiosity, how can you distinguish an exellent drum from one of low quality?
The craftsmanship, symmetry, the wood used, the quality of the other materials, -- including the conch shell and fabrics of the tail, then, most notably the sound when you beat it. . . but also it is important to know the maker, and if the mantric calligraphy was done by hand, or simply photocopied, etc. Also ideal if the mantras are those of your specific Chod lineage. . there will be variations if it is a specific terma you practice, or not. . and it best if the lettering is painted in actual gold paint throughout the inside of the drum. Of course it is hard to know this outside of what you are told, since the mantras are inside the drum and cannot be seen once stretched. So you should trust the maker or the dealer.

If it is a used or antique drum then there is always the concern (as with every ritual instrument or implement) if it was previously used by someone who kept pure samaya. If not, then this can create obstacles for your practice. So unless you have an omniscient Lama to ask to check it out, it is best to stick to new ritual objects. . and get them blessed by your Lama once you acquire them.
:good: Thank you.
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I have some very high quality drums for sale as well as wooden kanglings, and bone, if anyone interested. You can PM me for more information
sleepyhead

Post by sleepyhead »

Adamantine wrote:

It's really very very funny. The only way for anyone to know whether the damaru is really authentic is to cut out the sheep skin and look inside for the mantra.
The Chod secret in Bouddha is basically everyone knows who and where the drums are made. The source of where Tara Mandhala and Chopa Lama Rinpoche where they buy their Chod drums, kanglings, tails and accessories are the same maker.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

is there another source of traditional damarus? i've been looking for a damaru and kangling
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
philji

Post by philji »

I think Tibetan Treasures are selling kanglings, I had an email today listing them. Maybe Chod drums also.

Return to “Chod”