Traveling

Tigersnest

Traveling

Post by Tigersnest » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for traveling with jangling and kapala?

YesheDronmar

Re: Traveling

Post by YesheDronmar » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 am

Tigersnest wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for traveling with jangling and kapala?
Are you traveling by air? Domestically, internationally? Are you US based?

If by air, carry-on only or with checked bags?

Tashi Delek.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:56 am

maybe pack them together a few academic books/journals, especially ones about history or archeology or ones with pictures of these implements, black and white photos of old nagkpas with these items, etc.

i do know of one well known lama who had a dorje taken by security when flying from sf to la, there seems to be little rhyme or reason when it comes to what items the security will take issue with.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 pm

I agree with 48 vows that security is pretty arbitrary and capricious; I once had a 3-inch phurpa confiscated from my hand luggage in Bangkok, although it was less sharp than a ballpoint pen and was clearly a ceremonial object. Fortunately it was not a consecrated one. I think maybe security personnel get brownie points for finding questionable stuff.

I would avoid trying to take genuine bone kanglings on an airplane in either checked or hand luggage, if you're going into or out of the US. They aren't that easy to get, and if one were confiscated, you could probably eventually get it back as a religious object, but it would be an annoying and probably expensive legal battle. You might have more luck with a kapala because of its less distinctive shape, but, again, do you want to chance losing it? Although the idea of grouping the stuff with relevant photos, etc. is a good one, it might not work, depending entirely on the mood of the inspector.

Return to “Chod”