Wandering Chod

Post Reply
User avatar
KrisW
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Wandering Chod

Post by KrisW » Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 pm

I wanted to know more (with respect to samaya) about the external chod practice of wandering in fearful enviroments.
For instance was it a given that chodpas would travel to fear invoking enviroments?
Or was it with instructions like in the Dudjom Tersar?
The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.


User avatar
KrisW
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Wandering Chod

Post by KrisW » Sun May 28, 2017 1:34 am

Thank you. To be more specific I was interested in the practice of wandering in fear invoking environments. Is it something that Machig mentions in the source material, the bundles or appendices?
That's what I was trying to get some clarity on.
The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Wandering Chod

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun May 28, 2017 4:37 pm

KrisW wrote:
Thank you. To be more specific I was interested in the practice of wandering in fear invoking environments. Is it something that Machig mentions in the source material, the bundles or appendices?
That's what I was trying to get some clarity on.
i remember that yes, i have read that her advice to tibetan practitioners
was to go to their sky-burial places and such to confront dualism, their reaction to emotions
this is linked to emptyness, true emptyness not only thinking and saying
it is good to know you are interested, chöd is such a special practice

now, my teacher told that in western countries is much better to not to go to cementeries for example
western cementeries are not to be feared and also we can have problems with authorities like police etc
the same on doing chöd in our appartment, because the souds are very loud

ok, there are books about, i think they are not expensive. however sometimes is difficult to acquire dharma treasures, so we must put a bit of effort

1) Machik's Complete Explanation, Clarifying the Meaning of Chod (Expanded Edition). http://www.shambhala.com/machik-s-compl ... -2854.html . A friend with whom i practice read it and found it very usefull, so he explains details to me sometimes, so i recomend it.

2) Chod: The Sacred Teachings on Severance, Essential Teachings of the Eight Practice Lineages of Tibet, Volume 14 (The Treasury of Precious Instructions) http://www.shambhala.com/chod-the-sacre ... rance.html . This one i would like to read, so maybe i's interesting.

Best regards

User avatar
ClearblueSky
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 am

Re: Wandering Chod

Post by ClearblueSky » Sun May 28, 2017 8:43 pm

KrisW wrote: For instance was it a given that chodpas would travel to fear invoking enviroments?
Yes, in fact in the five slogans that Padampa Sangye taught to Machig Labdron:
1) Confess your hidden faults.
2) Approach what you find repulsive.
3) Help those you think you cannot help.
4) Anything you are attached to, give that.
5) Go to the places that scare you.

User avatar
KrisW
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Wandering Chod

Post by KrisW » Sun May 28, 2017 11:40 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
KrisW wrote:
Thank you. To be more specific I was interested in the practice of wandering in fear invoking environments. Is it something that Machig mentions in the source material, the bundles or appendices?
That's what I was trying to get some clarity on.
i remember that yes, i have read that her advice to tibetan practitioners
was to go to their sky-burial places and such to confront dualism, their reaction to emotions
this is linked to emptyness, true emptyness not only thinking and saying
it is good to know you are interested, chöd is such a special practice

now, my teacher told that in western countries is much better to not to go to cementeries for example
western cementeries are not to be feared and also we can have problems with authorities like police etc
the same on doing chöd in our appartment, because the souds are very loud

ok, there are books about, i think they are not expensive. however sometimes is difficult to acquire dharma treasures, so we must put a bit of effort

1) Machik's Complete Explanation, Clarifying the Meaning of Chod (Expanded Edition). http://www.shambhala.com/machik-s-compl ... -2854.html . A friend with whom i practice read it and found it very usefull, so he explains details to me sometimes, so i recomend it.

2) Chod: The Sacred Teachings on Severance, Essential Teachings of the Eight Practice Lineages of Tibet, Volume 14 (The Treasury of Precious Instructions) http://www.shambhala.com/chod-the-sacre ... rance.html . This one i would like to read, so maybe i's interesting.

Best regards
Yes, I have both those texts and as I went through Chod: The Sacred Teachings on Severance, Essential Teachings of the Eight Practice Lineages of Tibet, Volume 14 last night I discovered several instructions on wandering in fear-invoking environments. Guess I should of just read through that first, but I wasn't sure if there were specific wandering instructions or if it was just a given that that's what chodpas do.

Ha Ha yes cemeteries may not be the way to go, just so the south where i'm at there are plenty of haunted houses and the like which may prove to be more worthwhile.

Thanks for your time.
The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

User avatar
KrisW
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Wandering Chod

Post by KrisW » Sun May 28, 2017 11:42 pm

ClearblueSky wrote:
KrisW wrote: For instance was it a given that chodpas would travel to fear invoking enviroments?
Yes, in fact in the five slogans that Padampa Sangye taught to Machig Labdron:
1) Confess your hidden faults.
2) Approach what you find repulsive.
3) Help those you think you cannot help.
4) Anything you are attached to, give that.
5) Go to the places that scare you.
That's one of the passages I came across yesterday, I just wasn't sure if there were specific instructions like the 108 charnel ground practice.
Thank you
:namaste:
The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest