Chagdud Gonpa's "Feasts of Chöd"

makewhisper

Chagdud Gonpa's "Feasts of Chöd"

Post by makewhisper »

Hello friends,

A vajra sister gifted me the Feasts of Chöd from Dudjom Lingpa's Throma Nagmo cycle. This is the text I received: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/T_hroma ... _Text.html

This practitioner told me that I could practice this text as no empowerment is required. The website for Tibetan Treasures itself lists the practice under texts not requiring empowerment.

Still I wanted second and third and fourth opinions before undertaking this practice. Is any kind of transmission or permission required before practices the Feasts of Chöd?

Thanks, and blessings,

Eric
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]
dzogchungpa

Re: Chagdud Gonpa's "Feasts of Chöd"

Post by dzogchungpa »

I'm not qualified to provide an opinion, but you can contact Chagdud Gonpa with this email address:
[email protected]
and ask them directly. I'm sure you will get a response from one of the Chagdud Gonpa lamas.

FYI, you can hear Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche chanting these practices here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... joJvlOSk13
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

makewhisper wrote:Hello friends,

A vajra sister gifted me the Feasts of Chöd from Dudjom Lingpa's Throma Nagmo cycle. This is the text I received: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/T_hroma ... _Text.html

This practitioner told me that I could practice this text as no empowerment is required. The website for Tibetan Treasures itself lists the practice under texts not requiring empowerment.
They are careful (I checked another text that does require empowerment and it comes up with that statement on their site) so if they said it doesn't require empowerment and you are drawn to the practice then have at it.

Typically though there is still a reading transmission so I would see if that exists and get it later.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

makewhisper wrote:Hello friends,

Still I wanted second and third and fourth opinions before undertaking this practice. Is any kind of transmission or permission required before practices the Feasts of Chöd?

Thanks, and blessings,

Eric

At the very minimum you need the lung from a lama in the lineage. Best to have the empowerment though.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Yes, to me it seems odd that this is called a "no-empowerment" text. Maybe they figure that if you're just reading it, you're not really doing the practice? In any case, IMO you should try to get transmission if you are serious about doing the practice.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Sangye Khandro made some comments on why you don't need the empowerment for the Feasts in one of the retreat teachings that you can find through Light of Berotsana. Sangye was relating the explanation that she received directly from Dudjom Rinpoche, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure which year it was, to be honest, although I vaguely remember it being from 2016. This is maybe just 60 seconds out of hours of recordings, so it's kind of like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but it is in there somewhere. Not sure how useful this is to anyone.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

tomamundsen wrote:Sangye Khandro made some comments on why you don't need the empowerment for the Feasts in one of the retreat teachings that you can find through Light of Berotsana. Sangye was relating the explanation that she received directly from Dudjom Rinpoche, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure which year it was, to be honest, although I vaguely remember it being from 2016. This is maybe just 60 seconds out of hours of recordings, so it's kind of like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but it is in there somewhere. Not sure how useful this is to anyone.
That is interesting, but kind of surprising considering that if you look here:
https://www.berotsana.org/products/trom ... ctice-text
you can see that they consider their version of the text to be restricted.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

dzogchungpa wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:Sangye Khandro made some comments on why you don't need the empowerment for the Feasts in one of the retreat teachings that you can find through Light of Berotsana. Sangye was relating the explanation that she received directly from Dudjom Rinpoche, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure which year it was, to be honest, although I vaguely remember it being from 2016. This is maybe just 60 seconds out of hours of recordings, so it's kind of like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but it is in there somewhere. Not sure how useful this is to anyone.
That's a good point. I guess that is tricky about listening to recordings of retreats. The audience present that Sangye Khandro was actually speaking to were all present and performing the feasts together, so they had the lung just by virtue of being there.
Kris

Post by Kris »

tomamundsen wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
That's a good point. I guess that is tricky about listening to recordings of retreats. The audience present that Sangye Khandro was actually speaking to were all present and performing the feasts together, so they had the lung just by virtue of being there.
I remember that audio teaching, yeah she mentioned something along those lines. Will have to sift through the teachings and see if I can pull it up.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I would suggest you to read Tsulltrim Allione's "feeding your demons", in case you don't know this book. It speaks about what really is Chod, and everything necessary to practice it with efficiency. It speaks of the "engine". Then, once you know how it works, it allows you to enter efficiently into any kind of feasts.

One of the most important thing about Chod is to understand the philosophy behind. What do we do, what are the demons really, what we aims to achieve, the ideas behind all the visualisations etc

Doing Chod, even with empowerment and everything you want, the damaru and all the stuff, if lacking the true meaning of chod, is maybe not the best things to do.

Maybe also feast like the black feast, requier some specific explanations, and even guidance. But then, it's just my opinion.
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche taught some of the Chod feasts from this cycle when he first visited Australia in 1987. He did not give the empowerment then and said it was not necessary for practice of the chod.

Return to “Chod”