Black fringe

Lingpupa

Black fringe

Post by Lingpupa »

If "fringe" is indeed the word, then what is the black fringe-hat worn during some kinds of chöd practice?

Am I right to think that it is part of the zhije tradition? Is it used in other chöd traditions? What is the significance? And what is the proper name for it?

In case of doubt, here is a picture:

All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: Black fringe

Post by Mantrik »

Looks very similar to the fringe worn by shamans to protect themselves from harmful spirits, in effect disguising themselves. It also aids focus as a screen between them and others around them, and hides their face during spirit possession so others do not look directly at the spirit.

IN the context of Chöd, one explanation of the wearing of the 'tomra/domra' (?) is that it is there to protect the feeding spirits from the power of the Chödpa's energy, as the powerful compassion may disturb them.

THis looks to be a good explanation:

https://www.damaruworks.com/accessories/cho-hats/
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

sunglases are just fine (?) :rolling:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
moonbun

Post by moonbun »

I remember reading the chapter called A Challenge from Four Ascetics in the book called Miraculous Journey. He mentioned a hat, a headband, and the damaru drum in that. Is the fringe eye curtain the same headband Milarepa sang about?
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:02 pm sunglases are just fine (?) :rolling:
Speaking of shades, that blog post I linked has an interesting discussion about it along with the domra further down.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

moonbun wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:45 pm I remember reading the chapter called A Challenge from Four Ascetics in the book called Miraculous Journey. He mentioned a hat, a headband, and the damaru drum in that. Is the fringe eye curtain the same headband Milarepa sang about?
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:02 pm sunglases are just fine (?) :rolling:
Speaking of shades, that blog post I linked has an interesting discussion about it along with the domra further down.
yeah, haha sunglases for the modern chodpa :P
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
wecherylsmith

Post by wecherylsmith »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am Looks very similar to the fringe worn by shamans to protect themselves from harmful spirits, in effect disguising themselves. It also aids focus as a screen between them and others around them, and hides their face during spirit possession so others do not look directly at the spirit.

IN the context of Chöd, one explanation of the wearing of the 'tomra/domra' (?) is that it is there to protect the feeding spirits from the power of the Chödpa's energy, as the powerful compassion may disturb them.

THis looks to be a good explanation:

https://www.damaruworks.com/accessories/cho-hats/
I also agree if I'm not mistaken
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Black Fringe, because we all need to add more Tibetan gear for our practice...
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:23 pm Black Fringe, because we all need to add more Tibetan gear for our practice...
Supposedly padampakalamukha brought this up. As if... hmmf.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

I need one of these.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:23 pm Black Fringe, because we all need to add more Tibetan gear for our practice...
:smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Chod”