Chöd Yidams

Post Reply
User avatar
AmidaB
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Chöd Yidams

Post by AmidaB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello,

No misogynistic intent here at all, but I really would like to know why the chöd traditions working with female yidams.

Thanks,
AB

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Because the feminine aspect is the manifestation of wisdom.

Chod is basically Prajnaparamita practice.

In Machik's chod lineage it is also because the yidam is Machik Labdron, who happens to be a woman.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
AmidaB
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by AmidaB » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks.
Prajnaparamita is beautiful in her personalized form. :smile:
Is this means that the chöd practice is more suitable for female practicioners?
Or for male practicioners? Because working with a female yidam is an easier approach to cutting of clinging to the male habituated body-mind?

User avatar
Miroku
Former staff member
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Miroku » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

AmidaB wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 am
Thanks.
Prajnaparamita is beautiful in her personalized form. :smile:
Is this means that the chöd practice is more suitable for female practicioners?
Or for male practicioners? Because working with a female yidam is an easier approach to cutting of clinging to the male habituated body-mind?
Not at all. It is suitable for anyone who needs to cut through ego and clinging.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Miroku wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am
AmidaB wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 am
Thanks.
Prajnaparamita is beautiful in her personalized form. :smile:
Is this means that the chöd practice is more suitable for female practicioners?
Or for male practicioners? Because working with a female yidam is an easier approach to cutting of clinging to the male habituated body-mind?
Not at all. It is suitable for anyone who needs to cut through ego and clinging.
ie EVERYONE! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Miroku
Former staff member
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Miroku » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm
Miroku wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am
AmidaB wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 am
Thanks.
Prajnaparamita is beautiful in her personalized form. :smile:
Is this means that the chöd practice is more suitable for female practicioners?
Or for male practicioners? Because working with a female yidam is an easier approach to cutting of clinging to the male habituated body-mind?
Not at all. It is suitable for anyone who needs to cut through ego and clinging.
ie EVERYONE! :smile:
I am pretty sure I don't need it. ;) :lol:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

User avatar
AmidaB
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by AmidaB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am

Tashi delek,
I don't want to tread secret area but am really curious about who is the khatvanga?
Thanks

User avatar
Miroku
Former staff member
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Miroku » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

AmidaB wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am
Tashi delek,
I don't want to tread secret area but am really curious about who is the khatvanga?
Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaṭvāṅga

Basically a staff.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

User avatar
Grigoris
Former staff member
Posts: 20137
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:39 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am
AmidaB wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am
Tashi delek,
I don't want to tread secret area but am really curious about who is the khatvanga?
Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaṭvāṅga

Basically a staff.
Also symbolises the consort.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
AmidaB
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by AmidaB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am

Fascinating. So, then who is the consort of Troma Nagmo, Simhamukha, Vajrayogini respectively? Is this means that some chöd rituals contains consort practice?

Varis
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 am

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Varis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:26 pm

AFAIK the majority of the yidam practices transmitted by Machig and Padampa were wrathful female deities. This should be no surprise as deities like VY were the main charnel ground practices prior to the existence of Chod.

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: Chöd Yidams

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 pm

AmidaB wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am
Fascinating. So, then who is the consort of Troma Nagmo, Simhamukha, Vajrayogini respectively? Is this means that some chöd rituals contains consort practice?
Troma's consort is Hayagriva.

Post Reply

Return to “Chod”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests