Psychological Indicators for Bodhicitta

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
KarmaOcean

Psychological Indicators for Bodhicitta

Post by KarmaOcean » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any techniques, specifically methodology, for developing Bodhicitta.

For instance, If I was afraid of spiders, yet I knew they were tiny vulnerable creatures, the fear might my block my compassion.

Fully seeing their vulnerability, or working through my fear, could result in the outcome / be the same process ?

So, knowing that I am afraid of spiders is a signal of what I need to work on.

Yet, what about if I'm ignorant, don't even know, that a fear of spiders is irrational ?

How can I find the root of my issues by using my feelings / thoughts as signals ?

Many thanks for reading my post!

tiagolps

Re: Psychological Indicators for Bodhicitta

Post by tiagolps » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 pm

KarmaOcean wrote:Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any techniques, specifically methodology, for developing Bodhicitta.

For instance, If I was afraid of spiders, yet I knew they were tiny vulnerable creatures, the fear might my block my compassion.

Fully seeing their vulnerability, or working through my fear, could result in the outcome / be the same process ?

So, knowing that I am afraid of spiders is a signal of what I need to work on.

Yet, what about if I'm ignorant, don't even know, that a fear of spiders is irrational ?

How can I find the root of my issues by using my feelings / thoughts as signals ?

Many thanks for reading my post!
For me, remembering that even that tiny scary spider has Buddha-nature, and that my view of it being scary is only a projection tends to work beautifully.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

Sprouticus

Post by Sprouticus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 am

:anjali:

Fear of being bitten is what makes spiders scary, right? Maybe try to put yourself in the spider's position. If a giant wrecked your house with a broom, or rolled over onto you while they napped, you would be unhappy and perhaps bite them. Not so unreasonable. If you see a spider going about their day, doing spider things, watch them for a bit. Appreciate the skill and effort it takes to be a successful spider. Talk to them. If they're in a high human-traffic location, explain that you need to relocate them for their own safety, relating to them as one sentient being to another.
This approach has worked so well for me that now, if a see a spider or ant on the car while driving, I pull over and move the unticketed insect passengers to a nearby tree or shrub.

:heart:
Last edited by Sprouticus on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namo Buddhaya

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 am

• I need to attain buddhahood. I therefore need to cultivate bodhicitta since it is the cause of buddhahood. The cause of bodhicitta is compassion. The cause of compassion is love. The cause of love is appreciation and gratefulness. The cause of appreciation is recognising all sentient beings have been my parents. I should meditate on developing these qualities in stages.
- Taranatha's Essence of Ambrosia
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

muni

Post by muni » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Once, years ago, I was in a room in a monastery together with three big spiders. They came from a hole in a corner of the room. I had pushed a towel on the hole, so that they could not come in, as I didn't want to be bitten since my skin react strong on it. But whatever I did, they kept coming out, walking on the white wall. I was tired and wanted to sleep, usually I have something ( plastic pot and piece of paper) to catch them, but I had nothing. I finally pushed one with a cushion, in front of me, at the same time I prayed he wasn' killed! As I felt awful, being in the monastery. Then another was climbing up near the lamp (bulb) where a fly sat. Then he tried to catch the fly, he fell onto the bulb. He did not survive. Next morning I waked up with a bitten foot, tick and red. Now I do not want to be without a little pot ( transparant) to put on the spider and a piece of hard paper to glide between the wall and the pot. Then I look where the spider can survive ( between old leaves, in a place where there is no problem.

Even by Bodhichitta, remaining aware, I guess, we can still caring? As by allergies or so, it is then better to put the spider safe and keep the body safe, both. Insects can bite us all the time, we share then a little blood which is usually no problem and they can stay where they are. But sometimes we must be careful.
May the suffering of all beings be pacified.
http://www.tenzinzopa.com/Ebooks/Cttb_B ... mplete.pdf
True change is within, leave the outside as it is. His Holiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPB75kgZ64

White Lotus

Post by White Lotus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:37 pm

:smile:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

There are all kinds of techniques for developing attitudes which culminate in Bodhicitta. One simple one is every time you feel a thing which is particularly unpleasant, to say "maybe all beings be free of this thing" (such as fear, in your example), whether in a meditation session or outside of it. It's one approach of many, I have heard it described by one of my teachers as a "fake it till ya make it" approach. So in the beginning, it may feel forced.

It might be worth your time to read up a bit on Mahayana teachings, the famous stuff, Bodhisattvacaryavatra etc. Also in particular to check out Lojong teachings, as they focus on this concept in great detail, in fact it is pretty much a central focus of lots of Mahayana literature.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:35 pm

i found cause of such fears in karma and the bardo experiences.
imagine that we were animals and we got eaten alive,
it's traumatic, isn't it?
many experiences are extrapolated when we face circumstances
for example when we see meat we don feel very sorry
but when we see an animal butchered and then we see meat it's -in most cases- different
or when we see a vegetable we don't feel very sorry
but when we know of the billions and billions of insects burned alive with pesticides the case is different
knowing this dichotomy in general we take a second thoughts about things

as we take our course on the boddhisatva's path we will encounter endless circumstances like this
what i'm trying to say here is that we should not be like a race horse, looking only to a pure land for example
because we are -and will be- surrounded by sufferings
and we all are being suffering very hard with the most horrible experiences

for example, In the figurative sense
a spider is like a monster to an ant, isn't it?
and a human some how is like a monster to a spider
a asura is like a monster to a human
a passion-deva is like a monster to a asura
etc.
otherwise ¿why we beg for protection when a demon -asura- torment us?
somehow we figure out or remember how is it like

then, bardo is very traumatic too, and is very easy for us to feel panic
because we have very strong feeling, sensation, we can have intense suffering
somewhere deep in our minds lies all this memories of our journeys

if this memories are really memories or are just phantasie, well is difficult to tell
but to me they makes sense. and this is just my opinion.

now, buddhadharma is a toolbox for working with all this issues
i don't know if someone will read to this point haha
but there are philosophical and práctical activities that we can apply
according to our capacity we can use our presence or use ritual

Buddha gave his body to the tigers, some of us cannot do that yet
but we can be at peace with tigers or spiders for example

work with fear, hate, and try to put in the spider postion
ignorant, stupid, incapable of express themselves,
they can't even smile or speak, can't hear dharma
if they are ill, they don't get to a doctor, instead they are eaten
if they encounter a human, they are generally killed
their lifespan can be a few seconds due to predators
they generate only bad karma, as they never forgive their preis
and so... all this condition is a torment.

or we can use ritual like chöd and imagine we are like Buddha
or do other rituals for cutting through fear and attachment
and so.