The Dharma of Westworld

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
muni

Re: The Dharma of Westworld

Postby muni » Fri May 12, 2017 8:57 am

Grigoris wrote:Dude, chill out! A person has to relax once in a while. Don't forget the fact that we are not monks.

I agree, one need to relax once!
And then even the idea of being monk, being not monk, being so or so isn't. Naked mind with all its decorations. When Yama comes we must be careful with what we identify. Problem is that this idea of naked mind brings focus on emptiness only and the dependence-part is thrown in a corner as not important. I do not say you do that, not at all! Only the fact to relax and being monk or not, resulted in these things passing in my mind.

Right, lets chill out, for the sake of all. The bird of Bodhichitta has two wings: wisdom and compassion.
all actions are in line with the Paramita and the Immeasurables.

:buddha1:
http://www.tenzinzopa.com/Ebooks/Cttb_B ... mplete.pdf

Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helplessly by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace. — Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

tomschwarz

Postby tomschwarz » Tue May 16, 2017 4:55 pm

all actions are in line with the Paramita and the Immeasurables

All actions are in line with the paramita? Can you think of no exceptions to this? If all actions, with the right view, as Herr Gregoris said, result in the 4 immeasurables: unconditional love, compassion, equinimity and empathetic joy, than why do you think the great masters' dharma writings named these four immeasurables?

If I understand you correctly muni and Herr Grigoris, these four actions (causes of immeasurable happiness) are not important, to the contrary all actions are immeasurable sources of happiness so long as someone has the right view. Enter rape-sex-fantasy TV series...

So then if Buddhist Dharma is worth its salt, why so much emphasis on the 4 immeasurables and the 6 perfections? Or is this "view only" school an important, revolutionary step on the real path towards stability happiness and the end of suffering for all sentient beings ?

Or do you have some dharma reference regarding the 4 immeasurables, 6 perfections and other specified life guidelines (see pratimoksha) as being irrelevant in the context of the view idea?

http://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya/227.htm

At lease would you agree that there is some value in disciplining your self to follow this prescriptive behavior or none?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

muni

Postby muni » Tue May 16, 2017 7:18 pm

So then if Buddhist Dharma is worth its salt, why so much emphasis on the 4 immeasurables and the 6 perfections?

These cannot be excluded, or suffering delusions are the result in interactions.
http://www.tenzinzopa.com/Ebooks/Cttb_B ... mplete.pdf

Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helplessly by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace. — Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”