Teaching gift

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Joseph

Teaching gift

Post by Joseph »

I recently finished a weekend course with a traveling Geshe . The retreat attended on the basis of registration , including a fee (that I assume helped cover venue hire, lunch etc.) .
At the end of the course everyone lined up with Khaita and gifts to present . Now being somewhat new to the formal scene I was unsure what to give , what was appropriate etc . Thus I had nothing to give (The only one! :tantrum: ) - I was embarrassed at the time , and now I feel extremely ungrateful for what was a beautiful teaching course .

I'm going to donate a sum of money to a monastery through ASIA charity , and dedicate any merit to the teachers liberation and promulgation of the dharma.

He will be returning in a few months time , so the aim of this post to hopefully receive replies that will enlighten me as to what are appropriate gifts to offer for the teaching . Money? something unique and local ? :shrug:

Sorry if this seems like a silly question !
Peace.
"When you play in dirt, you get dirty" - Jimmy McNulty
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Teaching gift

Post by Grigoris »

Joseph wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm I recently finished a weekend course with a traveling Geshe . The retreat attended on the basis of registration , including a fee (that I assume helped cover venue hire, lunch etc.) .
At the end of the course everyone lined up with Khaita and gifts to present . Now being somewhat new to the formal scene I was unsure what to give , what was appropriate etc . Thus I had nothing to give (The only one! :tantrum: ) - I was embarrassed at the time , and now I feel extremely ungrateful for what was a beautiful teaching course .

I'm going to donate a sum of money to a monastery through ASIA charity , and dedicate any merit to the teachers liberation and promulgation of the dharma.

He will be returning in a few months time , so the aim of this post to hopefully receive replies that will enlighten me as to what are appropriate gifts to offer for the teaching . Money? something unique and local ? :shrug:

Sorry if this seems like a silly question !
Peace.
Normally you put some cash in an envelope, unfurl a khata and present the envelope to the teacher on top of the khata that you are holding.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Perfect , thank you .

I will donate what I would have given and some ,

:thanks:
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

That happened to me too recently, twice. The first time I had no idea that you make the donation in person and I thought that the registration fee was a donation. The second time I made the donation at the door, but after all that donation was for the dharma center/food costs and not to the lama, so I had nothing left to give.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

And also, from what I have learned, give the largest gift to the most major lama, and then less, if necessary, to the others.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Aryjna wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:22 pm That happened to me too recently, twice. The first time I had no idea that you make the donation in person and I thought that the registration fee was a donation. The second time I made the donation at the door, but after all that donation was for the dharma center/food costs and not to the lama, so I had nothing left to give.
:cheers:

Now we know ! : )

:idea:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”