Cherish me as supreme

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
tomschwarz

Cherish me as supreme

Post by tomschwarz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Hello friends,

His Holiness the Dalai Lama has recited these eight versus all of his life. And it helps him. They help me a lot. You know the kind of teaching which shows you the gap between now and enlightenment.... http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... ining-mind

Question, do you cherish others as supreme? Do you see ill-natured beings as something rare, a priceless treasure? Do you have experiences with this practice that you are willing to share?
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Re: Cherish me as supreme

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm

_/\_

"Training The Mind | The 14Th Dalai Lama". 2018. The 14Th Dalai Lama. Accessed October 10 2018. https://www.dalailama.com/teachings/training-the-mind.
Being without love would be the most appalling torment - the Inferno itself! [...] [A]ll those who have chosen the way of depersonalisation are unable to cry and [...] they have dry eyes for ever. For it is the personality which cries and which alone is capable of the "gift of tears".

Powell, Robert, and Hans Urs Von Balthasar. Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism. New York: Jermy P. Tarcher/Putnam, 2002.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:50 pm

At that time there was also a monk, a bodhisattva, called Sadāparibhūta (Never Despising).

“O Mahāsthāmaprāpta, why was he called Sadāparibhūta? Because whenever he saw any monk, nun, layman, or laywoman, he would praise and pay homage to them, saying:

I deeply respect you. I dare not belittle you. Why is this? Because all of you practice the bodhisattva path, and will become buddhas.

“Furthermore, this monk did not concentrate himself on reciting the sutras but only paid homage such that, even when he saw the fourfold assembly from afar, he would go up to them, praise, and pay homage to them, saying:

I dare not belittle you, because you will all become buddhas.

“In the fourfold assembly there were some whose minds were impure and who became angry, and reviled and disparaged him, saying:

Where does this ignorant monk come from? He says that he himself does not belittle us and predicts that we shall all become buddhas. We do not need such an idle prediction.

“In this way he wandered about for many years and was always reviled. But he never got angry and always said, ‘You will become a buddha.’

“Whenever he spoke these words, people would assail him with sticks or stones; he fled from them yet still proclaimed loudly at a distance:

I dare not belittle you. You will all become buddhas.

“Since he always spoke these words, the excessively proud monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen called him Sadāparibhūta...

“O Mahāsthāmaprāpta, what do you think about this? Was Bodhisattva Sadāparibhūta of that time someone unknown to you? He was none other than I myself."

-Lotus Sutra, Ch. 20
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 am

“One who conceives ‘I am equal, better, or worse,’
Might on that account engage in disputes.
But one not shaken in the three discriminations
Does not think, ‘I am equal or better.’

More here

“Soṇa, when any ascetics and brahmins, on the basis of form—which is impermanent, suffering, and subject to change—regard themselves thus: ‘I am superior,’ or ‘I am equal,’ or ‘I am inferior,’ what is that due to apart from not seeing things as they really are?" More here

There are, bhikkhus, these three types of conceit. Which three? The conceit 'I am superior', the conceit 'I am equal', the conceit 'I am inferior'.
More here

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”