Question about practices to help mom

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
cjdevries

Question about practices to help mom

Post by cjdevries » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Hello, my mom has been going through various health issues over the last few years. I don't think it's related, but at times she has said some negative things about dharma and at some point burned quite a bit of dharma material/mantras. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions of practices that I could request from a temple that could alleviate any harm she may have done related to dharma; that will at least cleanse some of that negativity from her karmic slate. Thank you. I noticed the Maha Siddha site and I wondered if any of the prayers that offer could fufill this goal: http://mahasiddha.org/prayers/index.php. Is it best to look for a shaman or similar person that can guide me to the right practices?

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Question about practices to help mom

Post by Miroku » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Ah, don't worry. That means she has at least some relationship with dharma! That's a reason to rejoice. Also burning dharma material is actually the best way to go about disposing of it. It's way better than reading teachings one does not have transmission to read and then "practice" them. That is plain stupid.

As for your mum, I am sorry she is sick. Ven. Master Hai Tao told a story that his mom was sick and he vowed to be vegetarian and dedicated all the merit to her and she got better... so maybe doing something good in her name. Also medicine Buddha, white Tara, Chenrezig, Ushnisha Vijaya ... those could help. So read their dharanis/mantras/sutras if you can.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 pm

thanks for the reply. that's good advice.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 pm

At the Maha Siddha site have Narak Kongshak done for your Mom. This is a hugely powerful shak-pa/apology/confession/purification.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:05 am

Thank you.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Have you brought her flowers? I"m sure she will really appreciate it.
Wish you both the best

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”