Contemplation

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Mirror

Contemplation

Post by Mirror » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 pm

I love contemplation. Do you have any suggestions for contemplation? I contemplate on impermanence, emptiness, nonexistence of the "I". Any other suggestions?

I'll be glad for any tip.

KeithA

Re: Contemplation

Post by KeithA » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Mirror wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 pm
I love contemplation. Do you have any suggestions for contemplation? I contemplate on impermanence, emptiness, nonexistence of the "I". Any other suggestions?

Contemplate where the desire to contemplate comes from. :)

_/|\_
Keith
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 am

Contemplate what is fabrication and attachment.
Clear!
Make personal specific vows to [for example, absorb karma of sentient beings], so that they can reach enlightenment quickly. With deep faith and trust, effects will be experienced immediately. If we can’t fulfill our vows, no problem Buddhas will help us do us; thus generate merit and strength to speed us up and lead us straight to unborn wisdom. This is not a matter of truth or not but faith and willingness. That’s what I was taught. Be aware take karma of sentient beings can be overwhelming. Only do what we are capable of.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:06 am

To me, contemplate doesn’t mean try to establish a meaning/duality and grasping it but ask myself an honest question and what I fabricate and attach to, whether it’s subtle or coarse.
Clear!
Make personal specific vows to [for example, absorb karma of sentient beings], so that they can reach enlightenment quickly. With deep faith and trust, effects will be experienced immediately. If we can’t fulfill our vows, no problem Buddhas will help us do us; thus generate merit and strength to speed us up and lead us straight to unborn wisdom. This is not a matter of truth or not but faith and willingness. That’s what I was taught. Be aware take karma of sentient beings can be overwhelming. Only do what we are capable of.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:51 am

KeithA wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm
Mirror wrote:

_/|\_
Keith
This. Contemplation takes a different form in Buddhadharma. You will gain little real understanding of impermanence etc etc by reflecting on them. Instead we need Prajna to arise. Which happens indirectly by skillful means. Not by comparing and contrasting ideas. That is a secondary activity.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:23 am

Mirror wrote:

First I thought that the topics you mention are already too many for me. But looking closer all three - from my perspective - can be subsumed under 'absence of self' since 'absence of self' may be approached via different routes, among others those you mention. So 'absence of self' is a main topic of contemplation, however the points of entry and thus the routes of approach may differ. Also contemplation of 'absence of self' should - from my perspective - entail cessation of contemplation, i.e. temporarily in that session.

Another topic could be bodhicitta.

Mirror

Post by Mirror » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:16 pm

KeithA wrote:

_/|\_
Keith
:good:

EDIT:
It comes from wanting to obtain wisdom and that comes from wanting to help others. Enlightenment is the perfection of wisdom and Bodhicitta.
Simon E. wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:51 am
This. Contemplation takes a different form in Buddhadharma. You will gain little real understanding of impermanence etc etc by reflecting on them. Instead we need Prajna to arise. Which happens indirectly by skillful means. Not by comparing and contrasting ideas. That is a secondary activity.
Based on my own experience. I had a temporary exteriential understanding of impermanence and I think if I contemplate more often and deeper, I'll have lasting experiential understanding. But that's only my opinion.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am

Mirror wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:16 pm
Based on my own experience. I had a temporary exteriential understanding of impermanence and I think if I contemplate more often and deeper, I'll have lasting experiential understanding. But that's only my opinion.
From my perspective such an "experiential understanding" of impermanence will remain impermanent because it is mentally fashioned through contemplation. But that does not invalidate such a contemplation because conceptuality and thinking and the experiences these cause are important aspects and inevitable on the path which itself is based on conceptuality and thinking (teachings and being taught) in the first place.
"Understanding of doctrine" is a necessary stage on the path and for that purpose contemplation is required.
But that's only my opinion.

:namaste:

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:56 am

The Dalai Lama's doctor suggested a book to me when I asked him a question after a talk. It's called "How to See Yourself As You Really Are" by HH the Dalai Lama. It's full of contemplations. It's basically a whole book of contemplating how you really exist.

boda

Post by boda » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 am

KeithA wrote:
Mirror wrote:

_/|\_
Keith
So, where does it come from? You must have contemplated it.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm

boda wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 am
KeithA wrote:
Mirror wrote:

_/|\_
Keith

No idea, as I am a pretty lousy student. I don’t imagine even the Buddha could tell us. In the end, we have do our own work. I do understand and trust the instructions, though.

_/|\_
Keith
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:56 pm

There are two types of desire:
1. Desire as affliction is caused by ignorance.
2. Desire as part of the path, e.g. desire for practice or desire for enlightenment, is caused by or is a merit and is conducive.

:namaste:

boda

Post by boda » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:28 pm

KeithA wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:03 pm
boda wrote:
KeithA wrote:

_/|\_
Keith

No idea, as I am a pretty lousy student. I don’t imagine even the Buddha could tell us. In the end, we have do our own work. I do understand and trust the instructions, though.

_/|\_
Keith
So what is the point then, busywork?

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:59 pm

boda wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:28 pm
KeithA wrote:
boda wrote:

_/|\_
Keith
Really not interested in this dance, Boda, as we have done it all before.

The practice I follow is more or less outlined here. In the context of the OP, one would trace back to where the thoughts about contemplation come from.

_/|\_
Keith
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 pm

First moon
Second moon!
Clear!

boda

Post by boda » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 am

KeithA wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:59 pm
boda wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:28 pm
KeithA wrote:

_/|\_
Keith
Really not interested in this dance, Boda, as we have done it all before.

The practice I follow is more or less outlined here. In the context of the OP, one would trace back to where the thoughts about contemplation come from.

_/|\_
Keith
Dance? I asked about 'contemplating where the desire to contemplate comes from'. Specifically, I asked where the desire comes from and what the point of contemplating it is. You didn't really answer either question, and that's fine and dandy.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”