Collective karma

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
[N.B. This is the forum that was called ‘Exploring Buddhism’. The new name simply describes it better.]
Herbie

Re: Collective karma

Post by Herbie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:36 am

KeithBC wrote:Karma is individual and personal. However, several people can perform similar actions with similar motivations and therefore experience similar consequences (perhaps in a single event). "Collective karma" is simply a somewhat misleading term for these similarities. It does not mean that there is some causal connection, or that my action causes your consequence.
Inge wrote:Do you think collective karma is transmitted through the DNA?

Crowd psychology

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 pm

Crowd psychology

Thanks!
The Social Identity Theory in that link is a view that comes close to buddhism.
Your identity is your self or a projected image of self (parikalpita in the yogachara view), which arises based on your existent social situation or your situation in life (paratantra, dependent nature). That is to say: "I am european (or from an other continent), my profession is this or that, my age group is between 50 and 60 years (for example), my salary is between X and Y per annum, my language group belongs to indo-european languages, I practice martial arts, scubadiving and other sports, etc..."
These are all different bases of identity, bases of self.
Identity means that you belong to a larger group of human individuals, a larger entity consisting of human individuals.
Your identity as such and such is dependent on larger groups of likeminded or in some respect similar human beings.

The situation in the present day world is that these larger entities speak out and act as existent beings. They have power and influence because they have a given number of adherents.
Larger entities of humans existed already at the time of Buddha. There were the four castes, the four divisions of Sangha and other Non-brahmin groups of ascetics and their lay followers. These institutions, based on profession, birth or faith, represented the common interests of their members, they spoke out and acted on the behalf of their members.
Karma is action of body, speech or mind.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
(Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1.)

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:23 am

Interesting article about Karma in Abhidharma Philosophy; the author Ashay Naik says that according to Vasubandhu:
"The collective actions of living beings performed in cooperation produces a sovereign fruit (adhipati-phala) that is experienced together. Thus the "receptacle" or physical world (bhajanaloka) is produced by the good and bad actions of the totality of living beings: it is neutral; however it is not retribution (vipaka), because retribution is a dharma belonging to living beings; consequently it is the adhipati-phala (sovereign fruit) of actions... (Pruden, AKBh. Vol IV. fn 403)."

http://www.academia.edu/5715412/Karma_i ... Philosophy
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
(Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1.)